[Fan Content] Super Wario Land [Fan-game]

STATUS UPDATE:

I'm afraid I won't be able to make enemies pick-up-able (if that's a word). So bouncing on them simply needs to stay.

That said, other things are being made now, and I'm soon ready to begin making the levels! GameOnion has designed some ideas for Level 1 in Mario Maker, so we have something to go on now!

Not only this, but I saw someone saying the Ground Pound was too slow. Well, a solution is made: The Ground Pound will now be cancelled when you hit an enemy with it! Similar to Wario Land 4 :D A new enemy type is also added, along with animated Water.

Things are coming along!

Aw. Well, that may take a little getting used to, but at least you tried. Maybe you can at least have enemies visibly flinch when you jump on them, for a little flavor? Returning to a controllable state after ground pounding an enemy is also a good idea. I'm pretty sure that's how it was handled in at least some of the Wario Land games. Glad things are coming along nicely!

Aw. Well, that may take a little getting used to, but at least you tried. Maybe you can at least have enemies visibly flinch when you jump on them, for a little flavor? Returning to a controllable state after ground pounding an enemy is also a good idea. I'm pretty sure that's how it was handled in at least some of the Wario Land games. Glad things are coming along nicely!
I really like that idea! Andy pls.

also a fan of this idea! would love to see this make it into the game!

It would be interesting to have some inter-connected levels (like, you being able to unlock a shortcut that directly connects the current level with an older one), or at least having, for example, a differebt level in the background of the current level.
Or, like, in Wario Land 3, Above The Clouds is located directly above Tower Of Revival, and the beginning of the level is the rooftop of ghe tower.
Stuff like that, even if they're just little touches, are very nice to have

Brass is very Pokemon-like. Doesn't really remind me of the Wario Land series too much but I will reserve full judgement when more music comes out. I like it though.

Brass is very Pokemon-like. Doesn't really remind me of the Wario Land series too much but I will reserve full judgement when more music comes out. I like it though.
thanks, you are indeed right - I use the same stuff that gamefreak uses for their music so some stuff will likely sound a bit pokemon-esque, but that won't be the case for the entirety of the soundtrack or anything like that. I'm starting to find some inspiration from the more recent titles like Shake It that have more instrumentation that earlier games

I have listened to some of your other work so it makes sense though I was also referring to the way the brass is utilized in the theme and not just the sound. So you'll be doing something more akin to Shake It's music? That makes sense since normally I associate Wario Land with the more simplistic minimal sounding themes of 2,3,4.

I have listened to some of your other work so it makes sense though I was also referring to the way the brass is utilized in the theme and not just the sound. So you'll be doing something more akin to Shake It's music? That makes sense since normally I associate Wario Land with the more simplistic minimal sounding themes of 2,3,4.
ah, I see, but you're still right haha - I'll be reaching for something that has the style of the original chiptune tracks but with a more modern feel like shake it had

Level 1 in the making ;)

"Sunstep Beach" is this level's name (for now, at least, but I believe it will stick)

Since these levels will be big (at least I'll try to make them big), this level will kind of be seperated into 4 parts, or 4 sections if you like, each having their own song! Yes, 4 songs for 1 level is pretty cool. This probably won't be for every level, since that would be a ton of work for Alex, and he has already provided many AMAZING songs. Anyway, as I was saying, 4 sections in level 1. These are the normal woods where you start, down in a water well, inside a forest, and at a beach. The song that plays in the woods and the beach are kind of the same song, just with some alteration in instruments.

Here's a pic of gameplay:
kV5dtAG.png

Some other info as well: There are also big enemies added. So there are now a total of 7 different enemy types! These are:

Normal enemy
Fast normal enemy
Curious normal enemy (stops randomly and looks around)
Big normal enemy
Spear enemiy
Big spear enemiy
Spear head enemy (can't be defeated by Ground Pound)

The big ones give you more coins when defeating them.

Also, not sure if I've mentioned this earlier, but a Heart Stone is located in each level. Finding it and completing the level will grant you an extra heart :) <3 Will try to hide them well ;)

One other thing to note: Some of the sprites are not final. So if something looks weird or ugly, it'll be changed later down the line. Let us know if you think something looks odd.

The song that plays in the woods and the beach are kind of the same song, just with some alteration in instruments.
To be fully honest, I'm almost surprised it isn't like this for more than just two of the areas. It's pretty common in Wario games in general to share themes between level music, and if there's multiple songs in one level, I'd almost expect multiple versions of the same tune to be present.

Back