tahutoa:

• Waa

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Naa

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did some fuckin' around with Phoenix Wright tunes, partly because I've been watching Sunburned Albino play the Ace Attorney Trilogy of late.

Attachments

• BGM026 (A-HEMM!!).mp3
    3 MB · Views: 215
  • BGM001 (hmmm inquisitive).mp3
    3.8 MB · Views: 208
  • BGM012 (sounds like DooM).mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 204
Sorry, no MIDI, but maybe you can try to recreate the melody using a synthesia of it. There are many of it online, and they might be useful. That's how I learned to play the song.
Here you go-eth. The first one was a SynthFont output, minus the lyrics because the transcriber fucked em up, and the drums because WL4 has no goddamn Hi-Hats but editing MIDIs in SynthFont is a hassle for my taste.
The second one I did in FL, wherein I fixed these problems (and did other stuff too).

Attachments

• Blue.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 198
  • Bl00.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 199

@Metal

Oh, goodie goody goodae, another song that sounds fab with Phase Inversion (plus a little bit of Bass and Treble for increased ease of listening).
Phase Inversion is such a universal good, I swear.
Especially in cases like this, where (apparently) a large portion of the center-panned instruments don't have any reverb on them at all to fuck with the sound. Against all odds, that extremely hard kick+snare pattern completely disappears. On top of that, I finally have access to clean audio of the "dow dow, de'kow DUH-DEH! Dun dun, de'kow DEH-DEH!" portion of the guitars, which was a major source of frustration back when I made that attempt to recreate this in FL.

Attachments

• Supporting Me - the Biolizard (Phase Invert).mp3
    2.6 MB · Views: 211
Last edited:
I see all these other musicians in my Artistry class that are all, like, "old money" type Nona Hendryx types, know what'm sayin'-- like, all these people talking about their friends who run at-risk children foundations, and a majority are talking that same "make a difference" crap that every goddamn 70s rock star has said in an interview at some point. To be fair, I do totally agree with what they're saying, and-- it probably has to do with a lot of them being twice my age or older-- but I have to wonder how the hell I even got into this school.

Last edited:
I wrote an assignment for Artistry Class (this is the same assignment that brought on that previous post)
1. My role in my community is to be a source of nice tunes to listen to as you go about your day. This may sound a bit jarring compared to all these earthshaking entries that came before, but I don't know if I even can fit into a similar role. Other sorts of musicians may strive to change the world, they may even succeed, but I don't really see myself fitting that kind of role. I don't really strive to make any huge difference, nor do I really think that I could without sacrificing personal honesty.

2. In my experience, all of my music has consisted of producing music that I myself would like to listen to. I did that for months and months, and eventually I started gathering a small following. I'm now at the point where a large amount of the things I think to post line up almost exactly with a few of my followers' tastes. It's interesting how some people will like whatever it is I have to post on SoundCloud, because it means someone found me who's got the same exact taste as me, pretty much, and it's always a good feeling when I think about how it'd feel for me to be in their position, to be subscribed to someone on there who's always posting things that I'm going to like 9 times out of 10. I may not be out to go for the large scale like a lot of these other people seem to be, but for what it's worth, the niche that I seem to have carved out for myself is relatively comfortable.

I am also at a point where I have enough people who share my taste to also have those who would be so bold as to place requests for arrangements at my feet. They're actually rather few and far between, and for the most part they've been sound requests for arranging. On my SoundCloud page, the tracks "Scarlet Pinball", "40 Below Fridge", "Arabian Corridor", "Sweet Board", and "Unused Lake", while I was technically obligated to make them due to my involvement with the project they were made for, technically were still requests to begin with, because I could have shot the idea(s) down if I really wanted. They sound really good though, I think, and a number of people that I've shown it to have thought so as well, so I'm glad I made them. They make other people as happy to listen as they make me, or very close, at the very least, and a lot of the private-ish requests I've done (for Hey There Delilah, I'm Blue, Toy Block Tower) I also enjoyed arranging.

3. One of my major goals going into any piece, I think, is making something that the listener will enjoy listening to, regardless of who they are. Not accounting for taste in genre, of course, but rather in the way that someone who likes every music genre would like all the stuff I put out, you know. I want my music to be as fun to listen to for other people as making it was for me, and the consensus has been that I've succeeded thus far.
Now, I'm relatively ignorant to the world at large, but I don't particularly mind at all. I know enough to know that the world is as terrible as it is beautiful, and that's good enough for me. I personally believe that I can't really do anything about it whether I want to or not-- especially because my realm of influence isn't quite up to the task of moving mountains-- so I'm perfectly satisfied with living under a rock. That said, I like producing music that kind of "extends" my rock to others who might hole up under it. I tend to use my own tracks as a sort of haven, because of how familiar they are to me-- my chill tracks make me chill, my toe-tappers make me feel rather upbeat, that sort of thing, and if I can extend these same feelings to other people, then that's great.

Thankfully, I seem to be pretty good at sniffing out the right instruments to use for achieving the vibes I want to go for, and by extension, other people to pick up on when they listen (compare "Unused Lake (Outside)" with "Unused Lake (Indoors)" to get an idea of what I mean. I'm fairly confident that the differences between them will have the intended effect on their respective, perceived vibes). My intuition for that sort of thing in particular, and arranging in general, I had an aptitude for it to start with, but it's always a great feeling to have others confirm my hopes and quell my doubts.

In other words, I like to put out music that gives you a similar feeling to Nintendo's music, or their games in general, a sort of "we know that everything's not right with the world, but that's okay, let's have fun like it is" feeling. We are both very much in our own little world when it comes to the things we create and present to the public, but we like it that way, and we invite others to join us for however long as they wish. "Fun and Fancy Free" I think you would call it.

If I can have a good time, I'd like for it to be in a way that others can indulge in as well. I enjoy myself when I play Tak 2, but I think I enjoyed working on "Golden Deep" even more, or perhaps a "deeper" enjoyment, if only because that enjoyment can be experienced by multiple people. There may be an angle for me, that being tied to my nature as a (positive) attention whore, but I think getting praise for something that the person deemed to be worth praising is what makes that praise feel so good (perhaps that's why I secretly like all the attention that Tainted Love waarangement is getting, despite me not liking the actual song all that much). So, I think I can live with myself.

I was getting on my brother's case about lacking the passion or willingness to do anything regarding storytelling or comedy despite exceptional, almost instinctive levels of aptitude for both. These were the last couple of statements made-- I wish I remembered more of the "transcript", as it were, because then the punchline would land harder.

"(...) that's the thing about passion, you have to find it first."
(to which he replied in his usual, mildly sarcastic monotone)
"I'm gonna be lookin' for a looooong time, then. Actually no, I'll be sitting in my chair and you'll be looking for me. :)"

He makes being amusing look so effortless, and like I mentioned before, there was that one hypothetical Harry Potter chapter I had him come up with, where despite the story's goings-on being absolutely batshit, everyone was acting and speaking completely in-character, from Harry to Snape to Dumbledore to Seamus Finnigan. Him going along with something that I prompt him with happens so infrequently, and it's always a treat, which is probably why I make the attempt so much. He's only 15, so I'm probably wrong for giving him such a hard time, but he manages to be on par with myself in most regards, and I was "exceptional" at his age, so.
PLUS. the things that he IS good at are the things I WISH I was good at, and seeing him be perfectly fine with utterly squandering his talents makes me utterly furious. He can't even be bothered to stream the video games he wishes to spend literally all his waking hours playing. It is just aggravating to watch. Only time will tell, but the more his power increases the more I feel like I'm bearing witness to some kind of Tragedy, if you'll take my meaning.

anyways here's a file i made using a midi MS sent me a few days ago

Attachments

• Time_to_Play.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
((proof that i've made a music box sound using only 8-bit))

Attachments

• 8-bit music box.mp3
    258.8 KB · Views: 483
I was getting on my brother's case about lacking the passion or willingness to do anything regarding storytelling or comedy despite exceptional, almost instinctive levels of aptitude for both. These were the last couple of statements made-- I wish I remembered more of the "transcript", as it were, because then the punchline would land harder.

"(...) that's the thing about passion, you have to find it first."
(to which he replied in his usual, mildly sarcastic monotone)
"I'm gonna be lookin' for a looooong time, then. Actually no, I'll be sitting in my chair and you'll be looking for me. :)"

He makes being amusing look so effortless, and like I mentioned before, there was that one hypothetical Harry Potter chapter I had him come up with, where despite the story's goings-on being absolutely batshit, everyone was acting and speaking completely in-character, from Harry to Snape to Dumbledore to Seamus Finnigan. Him going along with something that I prompt him with happens so infrequently, and it's always a treat, which is probably why I make the attempt so much. He's only 15, so I'm probably wrong for giving him such a hard time, but he manages to be on par with myself in most regards, and I was "exceptional" at his age, so.
PLUS. the things that he IS good at are the things I WISH I was good at, and seeing him be perfectly fine with utterly squandering his talents makes me utterly furious. He can't even be bothered to stream the video games he wishes to spend literally all his waking hours playing. It is just aggravating to watch. Only time will tell, but the more his power increases the more I feel like I'm bearing witness to some kind of Tragedy

Know exactly what you mean. I know this guy with great academic potential, but doesn't apply himself enough and he just hangs out with these girls (WHO ARE ALL ******, BY THE WAY) that are a terrible influence on him.

@JAWF using the stereo edit of SK's soundtrack definitely yields interesting results.
For this one I used invert on the left channel (not that it matters which you use-- I think), and boosted the right channel by 5 dB.
Let me know if you want the Left Channel version

Edit: also, dig Plains of Passage's inversion. Really draws attention to instruments I never took the time to listen out for

Attachments

• La Phase Inverbre (Lich Yard).mp3
    2.6 MB · Views: 200
  • Strike the 'Vert! (Plains of Passage).mp3
    2.2 MB · Views: 213
Last edited:
@ChocolateJake I finished it, finally

wait hold on (goddammit FL)

(20 mins later) okay there we go

also, I've got this twitch in my left thumb right now and it's REALLY FUCKING ANNYPOiNG

edit: the twitch seems to be gone. also, i updated the mp3 to be more accurate.

Attachments

• 9ein_to_6.mp3
    5.4 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Some of these Rammstein MIDIs I have (procured while looking for MIDIs to cross-reference with my Du Hast project) sounded like they'd belong in DooM. So, here's that. Their Stripped Bones is the better of the two, in my opinion. D.H. will come a little later, I have to get it to a compatible state first.

Attachments

• Engel's Approach.mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 162
  • Their Stripped Bones.mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:
whoa, those phase inverted Shovel Knight songs have a very interesting sound to them. In La Danse Macabre, it makes the piece sound somewhat more ¨agressive¨, and in Strike the Earth, the accentuated bass and percussion give the song more livelyness. If you really want to experiment with effects like these, I recommend giving a try on editing Of Devious Machinations, which is heavily percussion and vibrato based, or High Above the Land, which features a lot of pitch bending and long, high notes.

You did a good job on those Rammstein covers too.

whoa, those phase inverted Shovel Knight songs have a very interesting sound to them. In La Danse Macabre, it makes the piece sound somewhat more ¨aggressive¨, and in Strike the Earth, the accentuated bass and percussion give the song more liveliness. If you really want to experiment with effects like these, I recommend giving a try on editing Of Devious Machinations, which is heavily percussion and vibrato based, or High Above the Land, which features a lot of pitch bending and long, high notes.
Well, all I did was use Phase Inversion and do some mixing to try and make the unique bits more prevalent.
You did a good job on those Rammstein covers too.
Well, I used other people's MIDIs for the Engel & Stripped covers, just as a disclaimer, but thank you very much-eh

Attachments

• Fighting with Some of Our Might (Traveller Battle).mp3
    2.3 MB · Views: 163
  • High Below the Land (The Flying Machine).mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 190
  • Of Devious Machinversions (Clockwork Tower).mp3
    1.7 MB · Views: 198
Whoa, never realised how complicated that bass of High Above the Land is.
Of Devious Machinations sound not that good though. Most of the melody channel seems to have been blocked off. But I still love the hidden parts that become revealed through this sort of editing.

Of Devious Machinations sounds not that good though. Most of the melody channel seems to have been blocked off. But I still love the hidden parts that become revealed through this sort of editing.
Yeah, unfortunately the panning for this one is a bit more centered, which is a real shame in the case of the click-whirring

Back