tahutoa:

• Waa

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Naa

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What about this song for the Hideous Princess and Child Princess endings of Wario Land 4 II? (I feel like you would cover this much better than I could)

Gureito idea (and thank you)
@tahutoa Can you make a Pumped up Kicks cover with Wario Land soundfont please?

You probably know why I'm asking this, right? (It's because of a certain thread.)
Coincidentally, that exact thread gave me the idea to start covering another Foster the People song (albeit using the EB soundfont)-- but yeah, that sounds fun, sure.
Do you remember what the original was called? I've heard it before and it's really bugging me.
Feel Good, inc. is its name. The title I made, Feel Good, Link. is a pun on that title, and the thumbnail is a Zelda II spoof of the album cover for Demon Days, Feel Good's residency album.

Have you, by any chance, played enough of Crash Bandicoot to truly appreciate how dead-on this is? (Have asked before, just want confirmation)

(also, yes, that Battle Against A Refrigerated Opponent song is indeed amazingly chill)

And as for that Result E suggestion, remaking songs intentionally horribly in MIDI is just an inherently funny thing

Have you, by any chance, played enough of Crash Bandicoot to truly appreciate how dead-on this is? (Have asked before, just want confirmation) that sounds really stuck-up

(also, yes, that Battle Against A Refrigerated Opponent song is indeed amazingly chill) thank you very much-eh

And as for that Result E suggestion, remaking songs intentionally horribly in MIDI is just an inherently funny thing

Well yes, I have played a generous amount of Crash, but I haven't listened to the original Cortex 3 enough to be able to tell if there are any inaccuracies. Good instrument choice all-around except for the use of 17,2 for the bit around 1:50. (Regardless of whether this would make it more or less accurate to the original) I think it could sound better if you switched it to 2,2 and moved it down one octave. It'd give you a fuller, more string-like sound, akin to what Cortex 1 sounded like in the N. Sane Trilogy

Finished another Tak Tune.

If you compare the .mid downloads for Dream's Return with Gyre Mountain (the first Tacc Tracc I covered), I think it's really a testament to how much I've improved since.

@tahutoa Can you make a Pumped up Kicks cover with Wario Land soundfont please?

You probably know why I'm asking this, right? (It's because of a certain thread.)
Note: this is not finished. Far from it, in fact. I'm gonna go ahead and post it though, because I'm not gonna pretend like I'm going to finish it any time soon. Sorry to tease your cock like this :-( but what I have sounds pretty good according to those to whom I've showed it, and again, no clue if I'll ever finish it, so...

Attachments

• Topaz Passage - Pumped Up Bear.mp3
    440.9 KB · Views: 390
Note: this is not finished. Far from it, in fact. I'm gonna go ahead and post it though, because I'm not gonna pretend like I'm going to finish it any time soon. Sorry to tease your cock like this :-( but what I have sounds pretty good according to those to whom I've showed it, and again, no clue if I'll ever finish it, so...

Sounds promising. You chose the perfect sound for that contramelody. In the original one, it always sounded a bit too ''squeeze toy-like'' to me. But this is just perfect! Any idea of what sound you're going to use for the lead?

Sounds promising. You chose the perfect sound for that contramelody. In the original one, it always sounded a bit too ''squeeze toy-like'' to me.
That's the thing in the right speaker, yeah? The one that I replaced with the trumpet(s) and Daow's? In the original recording, when slowed down it's actually a clip of some guy. (Same goes for the unplaceable sound from the start of "Wasteful"-- yet another similarity the two songs have.)
But this is just perfect! Any idea of what sound you're going to use for the lead?
Haven't given it much thought-- possibly some brass. Maybe the [112] Toy Block Trumpet, or perhaps [61,2] Muted Trumpet... maybe [64,2] Brass. No, no, 61 would sound better-- ooh maybe a mixture of that with 96,2? Oh, no, be-- there's an idea, save that mixture thing for the chorus. Perhaps a mix of 61 and, say, 98, for the verses? Maybe have a 16? Well, no, there might be an instrument in the song at some point that'd work the best for, and it'd fuck with the dynamics to have two of the same, especially since a lot of the instruments don't seem to stray too far from the roots? Yeah, I mean, I'll have to look at it again and actually tinker with it a bit before making any decisions.

Oh no I forgot to hit post. Anyway, what I typed there was pretty much my stream of consciousness. Again, the reason I posted it is because I doubt that it'll be finished any time soon. The projects that I feel motivated to work on change as quickly as the wind direction, friend. So, it may be a while <:-/

We've finally got a CMV for Waa Land Forty-Two, boys.
we did it, boys

the creator of the .flp i utilized for a jumping-off point commented on it praising me ;__;
Some Wimpy 'Stache said:
that-a make-a me so happy!

Can somebody please explain to me what the fuck Greg Heffley was on about when he was having his dad help him with homework, only for the guy to get frustrated by the "new math" therein. After reading the story I was dreading some new style of math that would never come. What on earth was Greg being given by his school?

I’m really proud of that melody line. It’s simple and repetitive, yet not annoyingly so-- in fact, it’s the opposite. Which is fab.

Ironically, this also sounds more like "Soulless Opponent" (think like the Masked Man in Mother 3)

Oh, and assuming that it's supposed to sound as much like a grocery store as it does, that's also a really nice touch

Coincidentally, this also sounds more like "Soulless Opponent" (think like the Masked Man in Mother 3)

Oh, and assuming that it's supposed to sound as much like a grocery store as it does, that's also a really nice touch
That's what it is. I couldn't put my finger on it, but that's exactly what I felt.

To anyone listening, let me know which one you preferred.
...You know what, I think this is the first time I've remixed one of my own compositions to fit a different genre.

Last edited:
An observation I've made just now: one thing I find really neat about musical inclination, it seems like, the deeper your instrument's regular sound is, the more likely it is to have a distinct falsetto 'mode'. Like, a good comparison you could make that helps substantiate this claim would be comparing bass vs. guitar with male singers vs. female singers.
If you listen to a bass guitar, that bass is capable of shifting to another "setting", which reaches the same notes as the regular electric guitar, albeit with a completely different timbre than what is heard from the bass's "regular" pantheon of notes. This is similar to how falsetto works in practice, how oftentimes a male's falsetto sounds exceedingly different from his regular voice in terms of timbre, oftentimes sounding like it's a little "thin" in comparison to hearing those same notes on a regular guitar or female voice.
Reminds me of how recently I learned that the reason phone/laptop speakers are so shit is because they're entire-spectrum speakers, and thus aren't dedicated to any one specific range (which makes me wonder why headphones sound as good as they do-- perhaps it's a case of 'direct signal'), which is why those big speaker towers with the multiple circles exist; each circle is designed and optimized for the range of frequencies the output's relaying to play through them.*
So, the female voice singing that high note is going to be better at sounding it off than the other voice, because the female voice is one that is dedicated to that specific range, much like the small circle on the speaker tower. Meanwhile, the bigger circle is going to sound better with lower frequencies. It could theoretically play the higher frequencies, but much like a car speaker, the treble is going to be pretty weak.
Guitars and female voices are dedicated to higher frequencies from the get-go, which is why their falsetto facsimiles get shittier and shittier the higher-pitched their "tonic" gets. Ironically, it is the fact that they are better at high notes that makes their high notes sound "bad", in the sense that they're not as musically interesting (your ear isn't going to perk up quite as high for a guitar hitting C4 as it would for a bass guitar hitting C4 'cause it's like "hwuh that's odd' know wha'm sayin').
Likewise, this is also why it seems like so many girls are really fucking bad at doing voices past entry-level shit like
kurmitt theee frawg; tragically, most voices that are worth a damn require a lower set of vocal chords, so as far as I know, the Altos have the biggest advantage on that front. However, this is not to say that doing decent cartoon voices is impossible for sopranos (well, as far as I know), for they can still theoretically make their words really breathy, and get their voice to go all raspy-- or get all gravelly, a la Bobby Hill (but then maybe the voice actress there is an Alto, in which case never mind). Gals like the person who voiced Caminalda in Oblivion on the other hand would probably have no problems whatsoever, sounding like the Diet Coke version of a Tenor, and especially not the lady who sang Mr. King Dice.
This also is not to say that certain men's voices can't be shitty at voices either, though. Like, as far as cartoon voices go you gotta be within the median's margin of error and have a penchant for experimenting, or else you're fucked.

*Also, don't give me any bull on how this is 'no shit, genius', I'm VSaucing my way through it-- which is to say, explaining it "out loud" helps me to understand it better as well, since my brain is more-or-less forced to give the subject a second look while explaining what was discovered during the initial once-overs made while taking in the starting sources of information. The information that you take in is more likely to stick around if you find some way of recreating it, be it through writing it down or reading aloud, and like I said it helps you make new connections in your brain.

(NOTE: This is just a test comment)

Say, do you perhaps have a good way to convert these into MIDI format (potentially) for Wario Land 4 II? MarioSpore just asked me about that:

Attachments

• Brinstwar 2 (Enhanced).mp3
    3.8 MB · Views: 358
  • Fartville (Enhanced).mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 327
  • Cuckoo Cacophony 2.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 347
  • Mahjong Row 2.mp3
    2.9 MB · Views: 331
Say, do you perhaps have a good way to convert these into MIDI format (potentially) for Wario Land 4 II? MarioSpore just asked me about that
If you're using FL Studio, like I do
1. Rename all sound channels to whichever preset number they are to help you remember which presets you were using once you get to Step 4.
2. Go to the edit events for panning and volume (by right-clicking the knobs for them and choosing that option from the resulting drop-down, if you didn't know) for all channels, pressing Ctrl+I for all of them to make sure they STAY those values after the next step.
3. Go to Tools and use the Prepare for MIDI Export macro. This will reset all channels' presets to be Acoustic Grand Piano, always, and I mean ALWAYS, which is why I had you write down all the preset names earlier.
4. Make edit events for all the presets so they'll be the instruments they're supposed to be; go to each channel, setting the preset to whatever the sound channel's name was. Then, right click the little number window and-- well, this part will be easier to just show you.

Basically, make sure there are edit events for everything you utilized beforehand, because MIDI conversion replaces the pre-existing Soundfont Player with the MIDI Out plugin. Well, except preset number, somewhat ironically, because preset Edit Events are roughly twice their actual "height" when using MIDI Out that they are when using Soundfont Player. This is so that SF Player can have as many presets as it does.
You can kind of work around this by using the Alt+X menu on the edit events and setting Multiply to 50% or 200%, respectively, but this isn't always where it ends. In other words, converting Buttercup to MIDI for MarioSpore was kind of a pain for some sound channels (cough SFX channel hack), because a couple in particular used a fuckton of preset changes, and you can't exactly get 50% of an odd number, so I had to go into the Edit Events and manually re-scribe some of those preset changes.

Attachments

• 1567451432628.png
    1567451432628.png
    7 KB · Views: 296
There currently is no proper way to convert LMMS tracks into MIDI or FL, however; we need to make a petition to fix that.

In the meantime, assuming that only five (at maximum) of my song submissions actually can make it into Wario Land 4 II proper, and you feel like manually remaking those five in order to make them sound THAT much better (in classic one-upping fashion), I would strongly recommend for the choices to be as follows:

1) Red Brinst-WAR (Part 2 of Zebesian Jungle) for Mystic Lake (possibly with a few added leitmotif hints of the regular Mystic Lake theme as well; if you want to somehow make the song sound even creepier, that would also be a rather welcome change, with or without ML leitmotif callbacks)

2) A MUCH better-sounding and less over-complicated version of Full Moon Forest as the new Crescent Moon Village theme

3) Mahjong Palace for Domino Row (even if the level doesn't get reskinned as such), as a joke about the stage "turning Japanese"

4-5) Labyrinth Fight and Moonsong (Parts 2 and 3 of Cavernous Storybook) as subsequent bonus songs for the 100% ending

(NOTE: Out of all of these songs, FMF is the only one that actually will be hard to make for any particular reason other than volume balance; speaking of which, definitely take note of the fact that I often make very liberal use of the classic "fake echo" volume-decreasing effect, mostly when mimicking the Red Brinstar drumbeat)

ALSO: Labyrinth Fight (Part 2 of Cavernous Storybook) would make an excellent theme for Toy Block Tower,

as well as Geothermal (Part 1 of Cavernous Storybook) for the pre-boss hallways

(Oh, and just to suggest something that I haven't already made in a much worse-sounding manner, Item Room Ambience for the Sound Room)

Back