i suppose it's because of it being the start of the running gag, the theme song, being the one job to be referenced in her subsequent appearances, and the theme being in brawl probably helped too

... why me

I don't see anything of it in Smooth Moves, DIY, and Game & Wario at all. Maybe there are traces of the song, but it's still not enough to call her "the pizza girl".

And Brawl hardly counts. The WarioWare stage, being the barely playable mess that it is, kept killing the music with the constant stars from winning microgames.

I was thinking about this again actually and I still don't have the faintest clue as to why the whole Pizza thing is considert Mona's big thing.

I still think that Brawl might have something to do with it, however that raises the question as to how many people who didn't know the character beforehand cared to find out who the Mona im question is.

I'm just really suprised that he Rock Star thing from Touched isn't brought up more often in relation to Mona considerimg that Touched is a lot more well remembered than Twisted, but again it's probably all just because of the song, which is a incredibly lame reasoning to keep putting her into the Pizza routine, rather then appreciate her actual distinctive trait of doing something else each game, but that's just how it is unfortunatly.

I'm sure it's been said before, but I feel like the Smash games acting as an encyclopedia for all the Nintendo universe may be to blame. They Flanderised the fuck out of Wario especially.

I was also thinking of what names all these games should have. Smooth Moves gave its stories many different names, and Game & Wario went with the Game & Watch-style one-word names. But now these...

"Jimmy: Lost in Rhythm Heaven"?
"9-Volt & 18-Volt: Retro Treasure Hunt"?
"Dribble & Spitz: The Mighty Taxicapades"?

...Any ideas? I'm stuck on this. Not sure if character names are needed either.
Let's try this again.

Wario (first): "Reckless Romp"
Kat & Ana: "Ogre Attack"
Cricket: "Dash n' Dine" (Get it? They're eating while racing each other to the goal)
Jimmy: "Rhythm Run" (Could do a bit better...)
Mona (& Penny): "BlasterBlade Power"
9-Volt & 18-Volt: "Retro Treasure Hunt" (Yeeeeah, I donno...)
Orbulon: "Cosmic Clash"
Dribble & Spitz: "The Mighty Taxicapades" (This sounds cool, let's keep it)
Ashley: "The Secret of the Missing Spells"
Dr. Crygor (& Mike): "Gizmos Galore"
Wario (final): "Return to Glory" (referring to going back to his Wario Land days to treasure hunting)

Last edited:
Finally, here it is!

mona_combatsuit_zpssqnlnv7t.png

I never did write my thoughts on the design, I'm digging it, is the is the blue/white color scheme a intentional nod to her cheerleader design in Smooth Moves? It reminds me of it anyway.

Also, being on the 3DS, I've thought about maybe an extra side mode in there that revolves around AR.

Some kind of AR mode, some kind of AR mode...Hmmm...

You could have AR cards of every character, but what to do with them...

Wow, triple post already?

Here are some story ideas for every mission in the game:

Reckless Romp: Wario's in his house one day relaxing, while some pesky mice and other creatures try to steal his snacks again. So he's off to go after them, starting this mission of the game. The last boss of it is a giant rat, who's basically the leader of all the rats he's terrorized in Twisted and Game & Wario.

Ogre Attack: While Kat & Ana are going on a stroll through the woods, they run into a band of evil ogres that are kidnapping all the animals in the wilderness. They have to save them and defeat the ogres.

Dash n' Dine: Not much here other than after quite a few training sessions, Mantis proposes to Cricket a new challenge, racing together while eating the most dumplings (and other f00d).

Rhythm Run: After a night of getting down at Club Sugar, Jimmy gets tired and heads back home. But he falls asleep on the way back and when he wakes up, he finds himself in Rhythm Heaven. Now he has to get past every rhythm-action level to get back to Diamond City.

BlasterBlade Power: After heading back from her office job (and seeing her manager Joe off), Mona sees the city being attacked by unknown invaders. She gets an unexpected call, and it's from Penny. She asks Mona to meet her at her lab to get her equipped, giving her a watch that lets her transform into her new battle suit (as pictured earlier in this thread) and her new weapon to take these goons on, the BlasterBlade 8000. (What kind of enemy could it be for this mission?)

Retro Treasure Hunt: 9-Volt and 18-Volt head to the game store to buy the newest action game. They get back home ready to play it together. But once they start it, they get sucked into the TV! They are now in the game itself, and it's all up to them to beat it.

Cosmic Clash: While traveling to more planets throughout the cosmos, Orbulon gets attacked by some notorious space pirates and, yeah pretty straightforward.

The Mighty Taxicapades: It's business as usual for Dribble & Spitz, but they're getting shot at by some enemies.

The Secret of the Missing Spells: When Ashley is trying to find her missing spellbook, she accidentally uncovers a malicious book somewhere in her mansion that unleashes a bunch of monsters who invade it. She has to find all her lost spells (like getting more weapons in a Metroid game) and defeat all the monsters.

Gizmos Galore: Dr. Crygor and Mike are testing their new giant robot, but suddenly, they end up trapped somewhere underneath their lab, and have to find their way around many puzzles with it...? Honestly, I haven't thought a lot about this one in general. Any ideas?

Return to Glory: Wario decides to go treasure hunting on many islands. Who will he encounter on the way there?

What more do you think should be added to these stories? Ideas for end bosses in them?

Last edited:
Not too sure about story, but I have a few ideas for bosses:

Wario: Old Wario Land bosses return and I don't mean main villains like Rudy or Syrup, but rather any the other ones like Dunker depending on whether or not they fit with any of the level tropes.

Kat & Ana: I'd like it if Boneheads from Mega Microgame$ was somehow involved as a boss.

Mona: Vanessa with her own superhero form. She would be better suited as a recurring rival boss rather than a main bad girl thought.

Oh, that skeleton guy with four arms? I thought he'd make a good boss for Kat & Ana. He looked like he'd be fun to fight.

I thought a bit about putting Vanessa in there in some capacity. What do you mean by recurring rival boss? What would she do to get in Mona's way? Try to defeat the villain of this story before she does or something?

And to add onto 9-Volt & 18-Volt's game, most enemies in this could be several classic Nintendo enemies, like how Smash Run had.
After all, Nintendo is their main thing all the time. I have to admit, these two do the whole Nintendo history thing a lot better than Smash does most of the time.

Yeah I would imagine her trying to out do Mona in the hero business out of spite because of her being the more successful musician now (assuming Mona still does that from time to time).

Whwn I say rival boss I mean the kind of boss where the opponent uses similar abilitys to the player (she could use similar equipment/gadgets to the ones Mona could have for instance) and have those battles escalate and become crazier with each time, where the rival will start to put a different more unique spin on these abilitys.

Just to be clear, there are no bosses in Cricket/Mantis and Jimmy's games.

The bosses of 9-Volt/18-Volt's game, at the end of every area, could be Dedede, Ridley, Ganon, and Bowser. In that order.

I thought about writing down a full breakdown on 9-Volt & 18-Volt's game, Game Boys Away ("Retro Treasure Hunt" sounded way too plain).

The treasures you find in these levels are as follows, all various Nintendo items and trinkets:
Mario's Cap
Luigi's Cap
Koopa Shell
Super Mushroom
Fire Flower
Super Star
Super Leaf
Coin
Kart
Banana Peel
Peach's Crown
Turnip
Yoshi Egg
Super Pickaxe
DK Barrel
Triforce
Master Sword
Hylian Shield
Fairy in a Bottle
Link's Hat
Samus's Helmet
Arm Cannon
Screw Attack
Warp Star
Maxim Tomato
Ultra Sword
Arwing
Smart Bomb
Landmaster
S.S. Dolphin
Onion
S.S. Drake
Ultra-Spicy Spray
Gold Watering Can
Gyroid
Pitfall Seed
Fruit Tree
Palutena Bow
Daybreak
Splattershot
Wario's Cap
Wario Bomb
Garlic
Blue Falcon

Of course, being treasures to collect in this game, they don't do anything for you. I might have a few more of these later…
And I'll write down the enemies and midbosses later.

Last edited:
I know nowadays 9-Volt doesn't only represent old-school games, but I think it would be better if the Nintendo treasures would only originate from old school Nintendo games and a few old consoles would also be good treasures. Maybe the treasures could be replaced by game cartridges and the consoles could be bought with coins which you collect in the games. The cartridges would just give a microgame based on the game from the cartridge. Ooh, that gives me an idea. What if in every game you find microgames (cartridges in Gameboys Away) with a theme (old-school videogames in Gameboys Away obviously) which can be played on machines (console in GB A (is that pun intended?)). The microgames you fimd could also be changed to one minigame in every game. Eh? What do you think? Like any of my ideas?

No thanks, these are supposed to be like the treasures you get in Great Cave Offensive.

I'm still at loss on how Dr. Crygor & Mike's game should be executed. Perhaps it would help if I drafted some more visual aids, what their robot looks like and how it works.

Now then, let's go over what the controls would be:

General (all games):
Circle Pad: Move
B: Jump
Start: Pause (duh)

Wario:
Y: Attack/punch (hold to do the shoulder dash move)
Down (in air): Ground pound
Y: (near KO'd enemy) Grab enemy
Y: (with enemy in hand) Throw enemy (hold to charge)
Down (in air, with enemy): Piledriver
Spin Circle Pad (on ground, with enemy): Swing enemy around and then throw
R: (hold) Super dash
Bike controls: Circle Pad to move, B to jump, and Y to do a boost attack

Kat & Ana:
Y: Attack with sword
X: Throw shuriken
R: Guard/block
(*If guarding at the right time when an enemy attacks you, they will do a substitution technique (log and all) to counterattack the enemy)

Young Cricket:
Y: Punch/kick
A: Charge/fire ki blast

Jimmy:
A: Press at the right times (That's it!)

Mona:
Y: Attack with BlasterBlade (shoot/slash)
R: Switch BlasterBlade forms (gun/sword)
B: (in air) Double-jump (her boots use jets)
Touch screen: Ring up Penny for advice if need be
(*Some enemy/boss situations will have action sequences where you're repeatedly slashing at them, or blasting them right in their weak spot)

9-Volt & 18-Volt:
Y: Shoot Zapper/Super Scope (hold for a charged shot)
Down: (on pipes) Enter pipe
Touch screen: View map and treasures collected so far

Orbulon:
(It's entirely in his Oinker ship)
Y: Shoot
B: (hold) Boost/charge attack

Dribble & Spitz:
(It's all in their cab)
B: Jump
A: Boost attack
Y: Bazooka
X: Pick up/drop passengers
Touch screen: (adjust the taxi radio on there) Change BGM

Ashley:
Y: Attack with wand (basic attack)
X: Use special spells (haven't thought of any yet)
R: Switch spells
Touch screen: View map and spell stats
(*Defeating enemies in Ashley's game gives you exp that levels up your spells)

Dr. Crygor & Mike:
...I'll get to this later.

Take out your 3DS (turned off) and give those a little try. Would they feel comfortable and reasonable to you?

Last edited:
Back