Wario was intended to be German?

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
In the JP version of Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 1/2, Wario is voiced by a german guy named Thomas Spindler and actually speaks one line in german. A year back, in the comments of the video, Thomas Spindler himself wrote this:

"This is 100% correct. Wario speaks German: he says (or rather, *I* say) 'So ein Mist!' The recording was done in a studio of the former Nintendo head office in Kyoto (not the new Nintendo premises in Kamitobaguchi), under the direction of Mr. Takashi Tezuka. Back then, I worked on the script for another Nintendo project with my French friend and colleague Julien Bardakoff (who voiced Toad/Kinopio). My company T.S. Word Co.Ltd. also translated and edited the German script for Star Fox which can be verified in the credits of Star Fox 64. The concept behind Wario was that of a German character and those responsible for the voice-overs at Nintendo back then intended him to speak German. I hope that this resolves the issue once and for all."

I dunno, i thought this was an interesting factoid.

I have no idea why one of the commenter on that MyNintendoPost is expressing confusion about my mention of Mario Party 1/2. I was clearly speaking about the popular game Mario Party Zero Dot Five

Well, look on the bright side: Gamnesia only said you'd found the information:

https://www.gamnesia.com/news/Nintendo-Originally-Wanted-Wario-to-be-German-Instead-of-Italian

"Mario fan Glowsquid" well I'd have preferred "most excellent tyrant of the biggest Mario fansite on the internet" but I'll still take it

I always thought Wario should be speaking German when I heard him say "So ein mist!" after he loses a mini-game in Mario Party 1/2 (N64)

While I don't think he's German. (After all, Rosalina was originally intended to be Peach's long lost sister. And Diddy Kong was intended to be a redesigned DKjr) It's still a neat and interesting little look into how Wario became the greedy but lovable jerk that we know today.

I think i read that Wario actually said "D'oh i missed!" and not "So ein Mist!"

No, it was confirmed by Wario's German voice actor, Thomas Spindler. He is in fact saying "So ein Mist!", which translates to "Aww, crap!". It's easy to see why Nintendo wouldn't translate it, and confused a generation of players into thinking it was "D'oh I missed!". I never thought that line sounded right.

Back