Wario's favourite food isn't garlic?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
From this old Mario Land 2 developer interview:

http://shmuplations.com/supermarioland2/

—Can you tell us about Wario’s past/origins?

Kiyotake: There’s been a rumor going around the Wario was childhood friends with Mario, but it’s just a rumor: I don’t know if it’s true or not. His favorite food is crepes. That much seems true…

wariocrepes.jpg

So yeah, what's this about? It's pretty clear in later Wario Land and WarioWare games that garlic is his favourite food. But did he originally like crepes more, back in its first appearance?

Also, interesting to note the childhood friend thing. Seems like what the Mario vs Wario comic was based on, and hints that this depiction of his childhood may have been meant by the development team too.

mariovswariochildhood.jpg

So yeah, thoughts?

Can't say I knew that before, really goes to show how much the Land series redefined the character, even changing banal details like this.

Also, the fact that he had some involvement in the guide via this interview also pretty much confirms to me that the hand from this artwork from the same guide really is meant to represent Kiyotake:
tumblr_o7swnks3Ff1rrftcdo3_500.jpg

So that also answers Yikes Spike's question from the Obscure Wario Artwork thread.

It kind of feels like the garlic thing is more emphasized in the Mario spin offs than the actual Wario games. In the Wario games I'd say their most significant appearances would be in Wario World and some of the later Ware games.

It kind of feels like the garlic thing is more emphasized in the Mario spin offs than the actual Wario games. In the Wario games I'd say their most significant appearances would be in Wario World and some of the later Ware games.

Dunno, garlic was the main power up in Wario Land 1 and Virtual Boy. A treasure that gives Wario a new ability in Wario Land 3. And the main health restoring item in Shake It. It was also the only food item in most of the series.

No I mean as in Wario's personal fondness for garlic. I mean he certainly has had a consistent affinity for it but it being his favorite food seems to have been a more recent thing. And the favorite food aspect seems to be more prominent in the spin offs than it giving him powers aside from certain games like Smash and the baseball games.

Alright, let me try this again.

Initially the garlic felt sort of like a counterpart to the mushrooms in the Mario series and overall just a recurring item. While they became increasingly more prominent in terms of appearing in the series the "favorite food" aspect hasn't been touched upon too heavily. Post-WL4 it feels like this has become more pronounced in the Ware games following WL4 and other games featuring him including Mario spin offs.

Maybe just my weird perception.

Garlic may be the source of Wario's power but not necessarily his favorite food. It's kind of like how Mario gets his power from Mushrooms but his favorite food is Spaghetti... I think.

Alright, let me try this again.

Initially the garlic felt sort of like a counterpart to the mushrooms in the Mario series and overall just a recurring item. While they became increasingly more prominent in terms of appearing in the series the "favorite food" aspect hasn't been touched upon too heavily. Post-WL4 it feels like this has become more pronounced in the Ware games following WL4 and other games featuring him including Mario spin offs.

Maybe just my weird perception.
That's true. Mushrooms have been very important in the Mario franchise, being pretty much the only food item in the games. And yet his favourite food is definitely not mushrooms but spaghetti.

From this old Mario Land 2 developer interview:

View attachment 1497

So yeah, what's this about? It's pretty clear in later Wario Land and WarioWare games that garlic is his favourite food. But did he originally like crepes more, back in its first appearance?

Also, interesting to note the childhood friend thing. Seems like what the Mario vs Wario comic was based on, and hints that this depiction of his childhood may have been meant by the development team too.

View attachment 1498

So yeah, thoughts?

Takahiro Harada - Main Programmer (Super Mario Land 2)

Just an interesting note on Takahiro Harada.... He was the man solely responsible for trying to revive Wario Land back in 2007-2008, as seen in the Wario Land: Shake Dimension interview on the official website. Harada approached Goodfeel to take on the game after being impressed with a DS platformer they had previously made (initially the Goodfeel team had no idea what a Wario platformer was like).

Back