What are your unique talents?

I've been playing piano for many years, since I was 9 (or was it 10? Bah, I'm so forgetful these days...). I refused to take lessons and taught myself to play music by ear. My piano playing has improved greatly over the years, but I still am not a master. My focus is now on creating music anyway, so I only play on the piano to brainstorm.

More recently, I've taken an interest in character design and spriting (making pixel art). I'm still an amateur artist, so I don't consider it a real skill, but it's worth mentioning.

That's marvelous! One of my biggest heroes was an actor who learned to play piano by ear. He always demanded a piano on the set of any movie he was doing, and got his start as a silent movie pianist. Quite a nerve-racking job, I imagine.

Anyway, I really hope you continue with that, Colonel. A tremendous talent to master!

Wow, thanks! Not many people understand how difficult it is to learn to play an instrument by ear, so it's nice to see that understanding once in a while.

BTW, what's the name of that actor? I enjoy random facts like that and would like to read more about him and other actors like him!

Wow, thanks! Not many people understand how difficult it is to learn to play an instrument by ear, so it's nice to see that understanding once in a while.
BTW, what's the name of that actor? I enjoy random facts like that and would like to read more about him and other actors like him!

I reckon the piano is a tremendous outlet for stress. Once mastered, you can channel your emotions and play like a calm cool breeze, or a wild raging storm.
Anyhow, that actor was the late, great Jack Lemmon. By all reports, he was one of the kindest men in movie history. Nobody ever had a bad word for Jack, because he never spoke ill of anyone, even when they deserved it. Always made time for struggling artists, and tried to brighten lives wherever he went. Truly one of my key idols.

None of his piano work is online, only on ancient vinyls. Most of it was jazz/blues, or lovely, sentimental pieces he composed himself. I own a couple of old albums, so I uploaded my favourite solo piece from him, called "Here's That Rainy Day". It's best heard with headphones, while watching the rain fall against the windows outside.

By the way, this is just some useless Simpsons trivia, but Jack Lemmon did the voice for a pretzel businessman in one episode (The Twisted World of Marge Simpson). Soon afterwards, they created the character "Old Gil" who is a parody of Jack's downtrodden failure characters in some of his films.

latest
latest

I've been playing piano for many years, since I was 9 (or was it 10? Bah, I'm so forgetful these days...). I refused to take lessons and taught myself to play music by ear. My piano playing has improved greatly over the years, but I still am not a master. My focus is now on creating music anyway, so I only play on the piano to brainstorm.

More recently, I've taken an interest in character design and spriting (making pixel art). I'm still an amateur artist, so I don't consider it a real skill, but it's worth mentioning.

Hell yeah, I taught myself by ear as well.

Awesome! It sounds like damn hard work, depending on what you're trying to play. I was thinking of giving it a shot myself.

I wouldn't say it's hard work moreso than just practice and a genuine desire to get it right, haha.

You should! It's the most versatile instrument--you can do practically anything with it. And the piano does the best job of conveying general human emotions better than any other instrument by far.

Get on it! I'd be glad to help in any way I can (as I'm sure @Pigmask Colonel would be as well)

I wouldn't say it's hard work moreso than just practice and a genuine desire to get it right, haha.

Yeah, it is true that it's less difficult and more just a very, VERY long process.

Awesome! It sounds like damn hard work, depending on what you're trying to play. I was thinking of giving it a shot myself.
Ooh, yes!! I realize I'm simply echoing what Juan said, but it truly does capture emotion moreso than any other instrument in the world. Many a song just don't work on anything but a piano, and that's for a reason. When I play the piano, I feel like everything else just disappears and I'm, literally, one with the piano. You channel all of your emotions through your fingertips. I come out of a performance feeling refreshed, clean. It even helps me fight my recurring headaches.

I know this sounds a bit like nonsense, but it's how I feel when I sit down and perform on a piano.

i always wanted to learn how to play bassoon and trombone tho huehuehue

Ok reviving this thread, as I forgot a sort of talent, if you could call it that.

I have been so closed off from the outside world lately, I haven't been able to use this little skill I have, not many can pull it off.
Upon meeting someone for the first time, even before they say anything, I can already tell how that person will behave, how they will react and how to approach them.
I'm 95% right on it, so that has to be a talent right?

I'm proud of it because, like I said, I can tell before they say anything, most people start to see how the other person is upon talking.
It's a sort of trick I use, and I usually turn back to my friends and tell them if that person is worth or not, depending on my friend's personality. Of course, they don't usually listen to me, but after a while, if I warned them beforehand they wouldn't get along, then it always ends up badly.

I actually created long term friendships with this skill, which I must say, I'm impressed. *Pats himself on the back*

I really admire that. I'm a fellow with absolutely no social skills whatsoever, so this is the kind of ability I dream of having.

Tell me about it. I live in a rural area, homeschooled, and don't have a phone. Not that I mind that, I hate social interaction!

aww, you gotta have someone you dont mind talking with that isnt on the other side of a screen. it gets fun the more you try it!

Back