When will the new ideal 2D Metroid come?

BooDestroyer

Treasure Collector Extraordinaire
We know that the team behind them hasn't been able to get them out there in ages due to, uh, technical difficulties.

It's strange how many other series have had their 2D platforming resurgence lately, but Metroid is left out of it. Like how Star Fox Zero followed in 64's footsteps, this game could follow in Super Metroid's.

We still don't know how EPD works either. Do you think such a game would be likely in the foreseeable future? Who do you think the lucky development team for it could be?

If a new 2D Metroid game was made, it would have to be Metroid 5 because we still need a sequel after fusion. There's so many things that can happen after that game.

I'm probably alone on this, but I grew tired of the Super Metroid formula. It was already the foundation for Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission's gameplay style.
Metroid II was my first and favourite Metroid game, and I've always wanted a large and atmospheric return to the sinister planet SR388. I used to dream up endless ideas.

No Ridley or Space Pirates. No Adam Malkovich or any other human interaction. Just you, completely alone on that rocky abyss of a planet, with a Metroid/lifeform counter, and plenty of twisted, ambient tracks to drive the silent hostile atmosphere home. (It'd also need a truly terrifying/ferocious final boss like the Metroid queen!)
I think the reason it's never been fully revisited is because Yoshio Sakamoto wasn't involved with the game. It was the brainchild of Hiroji Kiyotake.

But that's just me. I know it's the black sheep of the original series, despite having the most significant story with the infant Metroid hatchling.

As long as it isn't about having all our suit upgrades unauthorized when we need them. ((Seriously Adam, I'm in a fucking Lava Area and you don't tell me to use my Viara Upgrade until I get to the BOSS? What the hell, man?))

Yes which is something I dislike. Interestingly, if you paid attention to the advertising and promo videos and art for Smash it almost always features Samus in her suit rather than Zero Suit.

"Accuracy" was never supposed to be something Smash strives for all the time. If the original team wasn't okay with this, then the Zero Suit as it was wouldn't have made it into Smash. You're just adding too many pointless "rules" to Smash when every other series themselves barely even follows them to begin with.

What I'm getting at is I just don't want Smash to influence Metroid in that way. While I enjoyed the Zero Suit gameplay in Zero Mission I hope that Smash influence wouldn't make more ZSS appearances into a beat em or something.

Whether the game ends up 2D or 3D, I'd really just want it to play as smoothly as the prime series. It'd be neat to see another side scrolling Metroid game such as fusion though it'd be interesting to just see another developer that works with Nintendo to pull an all new 3D adventure on the NX, much like how there is this notion going around with Zelda NX.

Well, what team do you think it should be?

It's tough to get Metroid out there in that it was never a successful series to begin with.

What I'm getting at is I just don't want Smash to influence Metroid in that way. While I enjoyed the Zero Suit gameplay in Zero Mission I hope that Smash influence wouldn't make more ZSS appearances into a beat em or something.
In the event of a new F-Zero (as if), you can bet that Falcon would bring his pawnch into it in some capacity.

Besides, I'm sure they could find another way to work in the Zero Suit in some manner, even if it is relatively minor.

Anything smash related wouldn't fit a Metroid game. It'd be weird to see especially since Samus in her own game need her varia suit or any of the suits upgrades to traverse dangerous terrain. She even starts to take damage or close to damage when you're near phazon without the phazon suit in the prime games. Even in the 2D games gravity can effect how you move under water or how you'd be able or unable to get up to higher ledges with the gravity suit.

I don't know what you're getting at. I meant that if the Zero Suit were to be used, it'd have to take place in an entirely different mission/gameplay.

Getting away from the zero suit talk. While I would like a new metroid game of any kind and while I did quite enjoy Metroid II, I usually would prefer a new game always. I think Metroid II's biggest weakness is its linearity since it just makes it so easy compared to most of the other metroid games.

If they were to make a new 2D Metroid from the ground up, what bosses would it have?

Let's see here...Ridley (of course), Kraid (what the heck happened to him anyway?), Crocomire, Queen Metroid (perhaps), King Kihunter(?)...uh...hmm...

Anything for a soft retread.

While we're at it, what about a third-person Metroid that plays just like Metroid Blast in Nintendo Land? Now there's the potential you may be looking for.

Back