[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

EDIT:
Happy 500 posts anniversery, everyone!

------

Hello, Drenn! :D
First off, welcome to Wario Forums! It's great to have you here, and we hope you enjoy your stay! :D

Second, thank you so much for creating the editor!
If you didn't create this, just a basic version of it, this project never would have happened.

We've got a bit of practice with using the editor, it's a bit hard to use, but it's certainly usable :)

The blue boxes instead if enemy sprites were deffinetly a problem for a while, but Haiko did some research and created a full database of object sets for us.
While this feature it's 100% nessesary anymore, it would still be nice if you could fix the blue boxes issue, and make objects look like what they are suppose to in the editor :)

The text and credits editors (by the way, these features are not so obscure, like you thought, when you actually have a developent team, and a custom story :) ) are diffinetly usable. I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to change the colors in the credits, but once i figured it out, it became easier.
It's still not as easy as I would have liked thought. Because if you move a line, it's colors will change, since colors are assigned not to symbols, but to specific coordinates in the credits.
I think i wouldn't mind if the credits editor was more like in Lunar Magic - you pick tiles from a Add Tiles dialog box, you place them, and then you can move them individualy or as a group, without them changing colors.
This is just a sujjestion, thought. It's not nessesary, because we can totally work with the credits editor as it is, and we don't even need to create credits until we finish the game :p

The text/dialog editor, is, once again, usable, althought when I was testing it, i sometimes lost track of lines and grouped messages wrongly. A very simple improvment would be to simply display a blue line after every 4 lines of text, like it does with the credits :)
And if there's any way to separate the 2 "Wonderful Work, Wario" text sections, and have different speeker names for the 2 sections, that would be nice. Althought, it's probably hardwired into the game like that, isn't it?
Also, i kind of had an idea to have a japanese version of this hack too... I dont know if we'll do it, but if we do, we would need a way to edit the japanese version of the text... hmm...

But the meat of the editor usage is, of course, the level editor. What can be improved here?
Well, as i already sayd, it would be nice to see actual sprites instead of blue boxes, but we already have a document listing all the object sets, so it isn't completly nessasary.
However, because we will have a number of people working on the levels, exporting/importing levels is a feature that we deffinetly need.
Same thing with the graphics. We'd like to edit some sprites.

That's all i can think of at the moment :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 607
About blue enemy boxes: I knew it was annoying, but since making the enhanced object set editor I didn't really think it was a big deal. Just click "edit objects" and you can see what the slots represent.

About the credits editor, that's honestly not one of the parts I'm terribly eager to work on =P

About the text editor, adding blue lines every 4 lines would be simple enough. The behaviour of the text seems to be somewhat hard-wired, although I haven't looked very far into that. If you have a solid idea of what you want, I could maybe do an ASM hack for you, but I have a feeling that it would be difficult to flesh out the text editor. Japanese is probably doable, I'd consider doing later on it if you have in mind a translator :)

About sprite editing: I saw mentioned a problem with editing sprites. That was the "gfx data has grown in size, the rom won't be saved, sucks to be you" error. Well, I COULD fix this, the problem is that it would break the labels. Like, if I moved the gfx for fire, located at 0x4000, to say, 0x6000... the text files in "ref/" would not recognize the new location. A possible way to solve this would be to make a metadata file that goes with the rom. There could be other advantages to such a setup, I think.

And then, exporting / importing. Let's see, what should an export contain...
- Level data (tiles, objects, regions for 8 versions)
- Tileset data for all relevant tilesets
--- Bank 0 and bank 1 subtiles toggled separately? Since bank 1 subtiles are commonly shared...
- Objectset and enemyset data for all relevant object/enemy sets
--- Sprite gfx included, or maybe leave that to be exported separately?

And maybe you could have the option to import only certain parts of these... import level data, but not tileset data...

well, I'll say this - you'll have to carefully organize who's allowed to modify which sets, if you have multiple people making levels at once. It may be possible to allocate space for more subtiles / metatile data / palette data... if you think that's necessary I could look into it, but in any case, you'll have to manage the numbers carefully.

About blue enemy boxes: I knew it was annoying, but since making the enhanced object set editor I didn't really think it was a big deal. Just click "edit objects" and you can see what the slots represent.

About the credits editor, that's honestly not one of the parts I'm terribly eager to work on =P

About the text editor, adding blue lines every 4 lines would be simple enough. The behaviour of the text seems to be somewhat hard-wired, although I haven't looked very far into that. If you have a solid idea of what you want, I could maybe do an ASM hack for you, but I have a feeling that it would be difficult to flesh out the text editor. Japanese is probably doable, I'd consider doing later on it if you have in mind a translator :)

About sprite editing: I saw mentioned a problem with editing sprites. That was the "gfx data has grown in size, the rom won't be saved, sucks to be you" error. Well, I COULD fix this, the problem is that it would break the labels. Like, if I moved the gfx for fire, located at 0x4000, to say, 0x6000... the text files in "ref/" would not recognize the new location. A possible way to solve this would be to make a metadata file that goes with the rom. There could be other advantages to such a setup, I think.

And then, exporting / importing. Let's see, what should an export contain...
- Level data (tiles, objects, regions for 8 versions)
- Tileset data for all relevant tilesets
--- Bank 0 and bank 1 subtiles toggled separately? Since bank 1 subtiles are commonly shared...
- Objectset and enemyset data for all relevant object/enemy sets
--- Sprite gfx included, or maybe leave that to be exported separately?

And maybe you could have the option to import only certain parts of these... import level data, but not tileset data...

well, I'll say this - you'll have to carefully organize who's allowed to modify which sets, if you have multiple people making levels at once. It may be possible to allocate space for more subtiles / metatile data / palette data... if you think that's necessary I could look into it, but in any case, you'll have to manage
the numbers carefully.

Hello Drenn, and welcome!
After having some experience with your editor, I only have a few wishes in opposition to wariolandgoldpiramid (I call him WarioLGP for short).

First, a music importer. It would be great to have that option available to us.

And second: The ability to instantlt wipe an entire section to one tile: that would cost us a LOT of work. And I don't think thar would be terribly hard to implement, right? (I just thought of another thing: the ability to make squares the same tile, like you click somewhere, drag the mouse to another tile, and when you release the button, all tiles in that area would become the tile you selected. It's not necisarry by any means, but it would be very useful)

Sorry if we are complaining to you for a lot of features: you don't have to do it, but it would be oh so appreciated.

Thanks for making this editor though: it's great.

EDIT: Ow, should we not add Drenn to the list of developers on page number 1?

Last edited:
Hello Drenn, and welcome!
After having some experience with your editor, I only have a few wishes in opposition to wariolandgoldpiramid (I call him WarioLGP for short).

First, a music importer. It would be great to have that option available to us.
Hmm. Hmmmmmmmmmm... are you thinking of importing music from other wario land games? Or entirely custom music? It might turn out that music from WL1-2 can be ported. Original music, now that would be much, much more tricky. We'd have to reverse engineer the music format, and write something to convert music from famitracker or MML. Or, maybe, somehow squeeze in an already understood sound engine, XPMCK. IDK if that's even feasible though.

Something I may look into when more progress has been made in other areas :)

And second: The ability to instantlt wipe an entire section to one tile: that would cost us a LOT of work. And I don't think thar would be terribly hard to implement, right? (I just thought of another thing: the ability to make squares the same tile, like you click somewhere, drag the mouse to another tile, and when you release the button, all tiles in that area would become the tile you selected. It's not necisarry by any means, but it would be very useful)
A rectangular selection tool of some kind? Maybe middle click to select a rectangular area to fill. Could be kinda dangerous without an undo button. I guess that's also something to consider. =P

Sorry if we are complaining to you for a lot of features: you don't have to do it, but it would be oh so appreciated.

Thanks for making this editor though: it's great.
I don't see it as complaining. I offered to help with new features. =P

:o
Yay, I'm so happy now! Welcome!
It's too bad that the music is such a hassle, that was really one of the things I would've loved to do :\
I'll give you access to the drive folder right away.
What's your time zone by the way? Shyguyxxl, Haiko (356) and me are all three GMT+1(or maybe +2) and wariolandgoldpiramid is just a few hours later. It's nice to know at what times you can contact people.

I'm going to look into something real soon.

Also, Drenn, when I'm on my laptop I'll draw what I mean with the multiple tile thingy. Though I think you are correct with the description: Rectangular.

Last edited:
I have another possible idea for the editor... But it depends... Is anyone interested in creating custom golf courses?

Also, Drenn, since we'll be using the editor a lot, how about you give the editor a name? :p
Like "Wario Magic" or "Waro Maker" or something like that.

I'm in eastern time, GMT-4. I guess my mornings / early afternoons would be the best time for collaboration and such if you have spare time in the evenings.

Custom golf, well I guess I'll put that on the list, lol.

As for a name, what about "Rudy's Playground"? Well, it does sound a bit infantile =P "Rudy's Box"?

I finally got around to playing ShyGuyXXL's crazy wario puzzle, and wow... I really didn't expect it to take so long for me! It's incredibly frustrating. That isn't per say a bad thing, but I think it shouldn't be required for any% for sure.
Edit: Also, ShyGuyXXL, some ideas I had for spriting. I think you could change enemies like the weird professor thing, still keeping them a weird professor, but just with a different appearance.. And I'm wondering if we could change the spearheads to pirate gooms. Last thing, I would like to change the things thrown. Like, for example change the appleby into a peachby, and change the donuts to cakes, like in Wario Land II. I don't know what the invisibility potion could be though.

Is it known to anyone what file format Wario Land 3 Music uses?
Since gameboy roms don't have a filesystem, file format isn't quite the correct term... anyway, if someone's looked into the music format for wario land 2, wario land 1, or even super mario land 2, it might apply to WL3.

Reactions: 607
A rectangular selection tool of some kind? Maybe middle click to select a rectangular area to fill. Could be kinda dangerous without an undo button. I guess that's also something to consider. =P

Attachments

• IDEA.JPG
    IDEA.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 279
I'm doing homework right now, but usually (well, i try to) have free time and computer acsess from 5 PM to 7 PM GMT (that's 9 PM to 11 PM in my timezone).
That will change when my timezone moves, on October 25, to 1 hour back. Then my timezone will be GMT+3, and so, the time will be from 6 PM to 8 PM GMT

I finally got around to playing ShyGuyXXL's crazy wario puzzle, and wow... I really didn't expect it to take so long for me! It's incredibly frustrating. That isn't per say a bad thing, but I think it shouldn't be required for any% for sure.

It's not as bad once you figure out the strategy: jump once, wait until Wario, switches direction, immedietly jump again, just once, wait until Wario changes direction... and repeat...

Edit: Also, ShyGuyXXL, some ideas I had for spriting. I think you could change enemies like the weird professor thing, still keeping them a weird professor, but just with a different appearance.. And I'm wondering if we could change the spearheads to pirate gooms. Last thing, I would like to change the things thrown. Like, for example change the appleby into a peachby, and change the donuts to cakes, like in Wario Land II. I don't know what the invisibility potion could be though.

I'm not sure if that's a good idea. What would Pirate Gooms be doing in a music box?
And the cakes/donuts are not the same, because Fat Wario in Wario Land 2/3 is not the same. In 2, he has a longer chewing animation. Also, in 2, Fat Wario is 2 blocks wide, and can not fit throught narrow vertical passages.
So, this being the difference, it seems a bit wrong...

So far, the only sprites that I feel like are worth replacing are the Music Coins, and the Useless (Optional with no effect) treasures...

I'm doing homework right now, but usually (well, i try to) have free time and computer acsess from 5 PM to 7 PM GMT (that's 9 PM to 11 PM in my timezone).
That will change when my timezone moves, on October 25, to 1 hour back. Then my timezone will be GMT+3, and so, the time will be from 6 PM to 8 PM GMT

It's not as bad once you figure out the strategy: jump once, wait until Wario, switches direction, immedietly jump again, just once, wait until Wario changes direction... and repeat...

I'm not sure if that's a good idea. What would Pirate Gooms be doing in a music box?
And the cakes/donuts are not the same, because Fat Wario in Wario Land 2/3 is not the same. In 2, he has a longer chewing animation. Also, in 2, Fat Wario is 2 blocks wide, and can not fit throught narrow vertical passages.
So, this being the difference, it seems a bit wrong...

So far, the only sprites that I feel like are worth replacing are the Music Coins, and the Useless (Optional with no effect) treasures...
That it's different from Wario Land II isn't a problem I think. You don't have to make the cakes look like the ones form WLII. You're right about the Pirate Gooms.
But why do you want so much to stay the same? I think we need to get as much personality as possible into it, honestly. I mean, we won't go as far as some SMW hacks do by changing cutscenes, powerups and the wario animation, but I would like custom tilesets and sprites for the enemies.

By the way, it isn't possible to change the behaviour of the platform that appears after you've cleared a Boss, right? That's too bad, I need one to go higher... :/

Back