[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

Rewatching an LP of Wario Land 3 again makes me see that... yes... some of the puzzles are rather complex...
Like having 2 sides of the room interact with each other, coming into a room from different angles...
Or some clever use of mechanics...
We will really need to work hard to create good puzzles

Reactions: 607
Well, i started working on the detailed level and treasure list, with paths unlocked, current powerups, chest requirements, cutscenes, and stuff like that.
Dont know when I'll finish this thought, it would take a lot of work, and I dont have that much free time in a day

Well, i started working on the detailed level and treasure list, with paths unlocked, current powerups, chest requirements, cutscenes, and stuff like that.
Dont know when I'll finish this thought, it would take a lot of work, and I dont have that much free time in a day
I have vacation, but I have a few huge projects that I need to get done before the end of the week.

It's a boring lecture in the computer class in univeristy.
Our professor is so boring, that only 2 students can understand him, and do actual work.
Since I'm not working, I desided to work on Wario Land 3 R&A.
And i found out something interesting.
I always thought that Wario Land 3 had 50 required chests, and 50 optional chests.
But as it turns out, there are 48 required chests and 52 optional chests.
You learn new stuff when you do actual research :p

Each chest has been marked if it's required or optional.
Now, i need to work on more importhant research data, such as power-ups, paths unlocked, treasure cutscenes (we need to make the level arragnments match them), and requirements

I might not be able to put the treasure pictures in this database.

I'm using the Sheet Editor on Google Drive, and, while it allows inserting images, it doesn't put the images where I need them to, and doesn't allow me to move them...

Is this a glitch?

Well, I'll try to find a way...

I'd like to do some work for the project too. Aren't there any sprites I can do?
Any news on the outside the level-sprites situation?
I'd like to start designing a title screen for our hack.
What was the title?
Return to the music box?

I'd like to do some work for the project too. Aren't there any sprites I can do?
Any news on the outside the level-sprites situation?
I'd like to start designing a title screen for our hack.
What was the title?
Return to the music box?

We dont have a title yet.
My idea is "Adventures In The Music Box", but idk...

Also, maby we should write a story before we name the game... and I'm not completly sure if my story with the space time hole is a good story.

I already posted my version of the story, remember?
But again, it's only possible if we can change the background inside the temple

Alright.
Question: Do we want to completely replace all tilesets with our own? Or do we just wanna change and add some stuff?

Alright.
Question: Do we want to completely replace all tilesets with our own? Or do we just wanna change and add some stuff?
I think we should replace the less interesting ones. Like, the Out in the Woods tileset for example is pretty good, while the Cave of Flames one is pretty dull in my opinion.

All right guys, here's a little sneak peak of the Treasure Database I'm working on :)

Snap1.png
Snap2.png

Hey Haiko, when the rom's done, how about you make a walkthrough with commentary and I make one without?

I actually already had an idea: that we create a walkthrought, with developer commentary, co-op commentary. One person commenting usthe player, of course, and other guest will join.
For example, in one video, me and you, 607, would join and talk the general development process, magment, research and analysis... In another video, ShyGuyXXL would join and talk about the work on custom graphics...

Wouldn't that be fun?
Problem is, it would require us to have Skype, all be online at the same time...

Well, we'll see what we can do when we get there :p

------

By the way, working on the treasure database some more, inserting treasure images :p

I actually already had an idea: that we create a walkthrought, with developer commentary, co-op commentary. One person commenting usthe player, of course, and other guest will join.
For example, in one video, me and you, 607, would join and talk the general development process, magment, research and analysis... In another video, ShyGuyXXL would join and talk about the work on custom graphics...

Wouldn't that be fun?
Problem is, it would require us to have Skype, all be online at the same time...

Well, we'll see what we can do when we get there :p
Oh, that's a great idea!
I still also want to make a walkthrough without commentary though, because some people (like me) don't want commentary when we're just seeking for help in a level.

Hey...

I meant to check this out after wariolandgoldpiramid (edit: actually 607) sent me a PM a few weeks ago, but it slipped my mind, sorry about that =P

So, a big part of the reason I stopped working on the editor was obviously, lack of motivation. Nobody was using it, and my "academic" interest lasted only so long. If there's some lacking features in my editor that would be helpful to you, though, I could see about implementing them. Or bugfixes. There are probably bugs.

Though it looks like you're in planning stages for now? I've only skimmed a few pages of this large thread. Perhaps someone could be kind enough to bring me up to speed? =P

Last edited:
Just finished reading through the thread, I like what I see so far :)

Seems like something you'd want is a way to export levels. That's something I'd considered, before losing motivation, but I'm just not sure how much would go into an "export". Just the level & object data? What about changes to tilesets and objectsets? I do feel like this would be an important feature, though, because frankly I don't trust the editor well enough to not fudge up a rom at some point...

That could also apply to certain graphics. The tileset graphics are uncompressed and readily accessible through software such as YY-CHR. Most sprites, however, are compressed, and can't be edited directly. So, a way to import and export sprite graphics for editing in more specialized programs could be helpful. The overworld graphics might also be compressed, I'm not sure about that though.

It's been a while since I worked on it, but my gameboy ASM isn't rusty at all... and I've got time on my hands. =P

Back