[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

But that means we have to keep copying urls from the doc to our browser. While with the tinyurls you can just type it in. If you want, we can do both :p

Also, why did you write your post in Verdana? You don't normally do that :P

You can just click a link in the doc :p

And what? I'm pretty sure i did not change font. Glitch, i guess :p

Posting this message from bed by the way :p

Good news, everyone!
farnsworth.jpg

I just finished a section for the Peaceful village that's completely playable.
It's in my google drive folder. The save for it is in there too so just enter the level.
We don't have to use it in the peaceful village but for now y'all can test it out and see if it's easy/hard enough.

Tell me what you think!

Last edited:
Great, I'll try it out :)

Upon re-examining the region data structures, I found a bit of a problem with the way the editor handles regions. If you check the top-leftmost region in beneath the waves, you'll see that it uses object set 0x10... consisting of doughnuteers and richtertoffens... underwater... it's supposed to be using object set 0x2d, consisting of fishies. It also is supposed to have "crop right" set.

Technobabble:
The editor doesn't quite accurately reflect the way regions are stored in the game. You know the "sector destination" field? In fact, the way things are stored, every "sector destination" field contains a complete description of the region it warps to. The problem arises when 2 sector destinations describe their region differently. The editor has to choose one, but it doesn't know which to pick. In Beneath the Waves, it makes the wrong choice.

I don't know why there are sector destination fields which describe their regions incorrectly, though! They seems to have left "sector destination" fields for sectors which don't contain any warp tiles, and they describe their regions incorrectly, and this confuses the editor.

Anyway, after correcting this, there won't be any more discrepencies like that. The editor will have saved the region data in a way that agrees with it. :p

Edit: Fat wario can pass through currents when he's underwater. Did the game ever use this mechanic? If not we definitely should :p

Last edited:
Edit: Fat wario can pass through currents when he's underwater. Did the game ever use this mechanic? If not we definitely should :p

Doesn't Flat Wario also do that? I know that he sinks to the bottom before turning back just like fat Wario.

Doesn't Flat Wario also do that? I know that he sinks to the bottom before turning back just like fat Wario.
Yeah, I remember that now. Puzzle-wise though, it seems more obvious to use fat wario.

Just tried your level, took me several tries to get the key, then I got the chest on my first try. I don't think it's TOO hard, but it would be one of the later chests. The zombies spawning are a bit finicky though, one time those 2 sneaky zombies just before the key didn't appear. When it worked properly though it was pretty challenging.

The treasure was all worth it though. :)

I like the little touches to the tileset. Completely custom tilesets would be great to see in the future. :)

Just tried your level, took me several tries to get the key, then I got the chest on my first try. I don't think it's TOO hard, but it would be one of the later chests. The zombies spawning are a bit finicky though, one time those 2 sneaky zombies just before the key didn't appear. When it worked properly though it was pretty challenging.

The treasure was all worth it though. :)

I like the little touches to the tileset. Completely custom tilesets would be great to see in the future. :)

I'm glad you liked it. ^^
Yeah, I want to make as many new tiles as possible. I'm just wondering how I should change things like random ground tiles which are basically just... soil. :p
I mean I could make them into slightly different looking soil... *shrug*

In other news, since the animation set of the sewer area doesn't contain a sideways current animation I had to use a different one. Because of that I wasn't able to use the animated background tiles that make up the water flowing out the grates.
Any idea how many animation sets there are? Are they also counted with numbers and letters? (I still don't get how that works. D: )

I'm glad you liked it. ^^
Yeah, I want to make as many new tiles as possible. I'm just wondering how I should change things like random ground tiles which are basically just... soil. :p
I mean I could make them into slightly different looking soil... *shrug*

In other news, since the animation set of the sewer area doesn't contain a sideways current animation I had to use a different one. Because of that I wasn't able to use the animated background tiles that make up the water flowing out the grates.
Any idea how many animation sets there are? Are they also counted with numbers and letters? (I still don't get how that works. D: )
Animations are one of those things I haven't looked into yet. I don't think editing them will be too much of a hassle. But there are a lot of other things for me to be doing. =P

Animations are one of those things I haven't looked into yet. I don't think editing them will be too much of a hassle. But there are a lot of other things for me to be doing. =P
Don't overwork yourself. ^^
Right now I'm making a list of which animation sets contain which animations.

...I just need to know, how does this letter counting business work?
I mean there's 1, 2, 3, ...then there's A, B, C,... and then suddenly there's 1A, 5B, 7A and shit... hooow? D:

Reactions: 607
Don't overwork yourself. ^^
Right now I'm making a list of which animation sets contain which animations.

...I just need to know, how does this letter counting business work?
I mean there's 1, 2, 3, ...then there's A, B, C,... and then suddenly there's 1A, 5B, 7A and shit... hooow? D:
Well, it's hexadecimal. It goes 1, 2, 3, 4... 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F, then 10. I'm sure you can find a hexadecimal->decimal converter online if necessary, but it's not like decimal will have more meaning. 7A is awfully high though, didn't think there were that many...

Well, it's hexadecimal. It goes 1, 2, 3, 4... 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F, then 10. I'm sure you can find a hexadecimal->decimal converter online if necessary, but it's not like decimal will have more meaning. 7A is awfully high though, didn't think there were that many...
Nah, I just wrote something random.
So.... a hexadecimal 10 is in reality a 16?

Reactions: 607
Nah, I just wrote something random.
So.... a hexadecimal 10 is in reality a 16?
Yeah. And we like to write it as 0x10 to distinguish from a decimal number which we'd just write as 16. (Though the editor doesn't follow this convention :p )

It's not really necessary for you to know hex very well, as long as you can do basic counting with it. Just know that the editor uses it a lot. You can read more about it, say, here [Random page off the internet about hex].

Yeah. And we like to write it as 0x10 to distinguish from a decimal number which we'd just write as 16. (Though the editor doesn't follow this convention :p )

It's not really necessary for you to know hex very well, as long as you can do basic counting with it. Just know that the editor uses it a lot. You can read more about it, say, here [Random page off the internet about hex].
I just need it to go through all the animation sets.

Okay, I just put the list up. That should be all animations...unless I missed some.
So yeah I hope we can put some of our own animations in those empty slots.

Man, you guys are so active when it's Night time here and I'm sleeping :p
Aniway, i like the muffins, but because it's the same color pallete as the donut, i feel that some players will not notice the difference :p
But the muffins do look nice :)

I like the idea of having Fat/Flat Wario falling throught currents :)
I actually had that idea (with Flat Wario) in my head resently, but i coulndn't really design a good puzzle for it, so i didn't really bother telling you guys about it :p

Unofrotunatly, I can't test your level at the moment, ShyGuy. Probably only in the evening...

Back