[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

By the way, when was the last time nayrran, Exeggutor, Daniel Primed and WwwWario been online?
nayrran sayd he can help with R&A, and playtesting, but hasn't posted here since.
Exeggutor sayd he's interested in helping, but didn't say with what, and didn't say anything else.
As for Daniel and WwwWario, i think it would be nice if they joined. Daniel is an amazing game analyzer, and WwwWario is a great level designer

By the way, when was the last time nayrran, Exeggutor, Daniel Primed and WwwWario been online?
nayrran sayd he can help with R&A, and playtesting, but hasn't posted here since.
Exeggutor sayd he's interested in helping, but didn't say with what, and didn't say anything else.
As for Daniel and WwwWario, i think it would be nice if they joined. Daniel is an amazing game analyzer, and WwwWario is a great level designer

I'm working on the analysis , silently.
And also, I was trying to editing my recording program since my computer is very old and slow

Reactions: 607
I'm back. Time to get to work.

EDIT: Ok, I took a quick look in the Editor and found out what 607 did wrongs.
607, you used a tile under the function of: "Above Left Slope", while for backgrounds, you must always use the function: "Empty"

upload_2014-10-5_10-45-26.png

-What you used, in the center, directly above the Left Ramp/Slope.

upload_2014-10-5_10-46-40.png

-What you should have used, bottom left. From my experience with the editor, in most Tilesets, if not all of them, Background Elements are placed in the bottom of the Tileset.

EDIT 2: Lesson: Always check what Function your Tile is before using it.

EDIT 3: Result of change:

Last edited:
I'm back. Time to get to work.

EDIT: Ok, I took a quick look in the Editor and found out what 607 did wrongs.
607, you used a tile under the function of: "Above Left Slope", while for backgrounds, you must always use the function: "Empty"

View attachment 103
-What you used, in the center, directly above the Left Ramp/Slope.

View attachment 104
-What you should have used, bottom left. From my experience with the editor, in most Tilesets, if not all of them, Background Elements are placed in the bottom of the Tileset.

EDIT 2: Lesson: Always check what Function your Tile is before using it.

EDIT 3: Result of change:

Thank you, that was quite stupid :eek:ops:

Thank you, that was quite stupid :eek:ops:
Nah, man. Look at it like this: at least you'll never do it again.

Unfortunately, the Tileset editor has no secrets.

EDIT: Ok, so, I just discovered this. You remember how I made an object set list? Well I thought 91 was the end because if I changed it any further, the editor would freeze. Turns out there is actually an Object Set F0 (Yes, F-Zero, I know...). This Object Set is for the Final Boss, can only be used in the Final Boss Room, and cannot be changed. In the Hacking Program, the last room (Final Boss) has this Object-set, changing the Object Set and pressing Enter does nothing except this:
upload_2014-10-5_12-1-54.png

You cannot enter the Object Editor, and the Object Set cannot be used anywhere else.

Last edited:
Nah, man. Look at it like this: at least you'll never do it again.

Unfortunately, the Tileset editor has no secrets.

EDIT: Ok, so, I just discovered this. You remember how I made an object set list? Well I thought 91 was the end because if I changed it any further, the editor would freeze. Turns out there is actually an Object Set F0 (Yes, F-Zero, I know...). This Object Set is for the Final Boss, can only be used in the Final Boss Room, and cannot be changed. In the Hacking Program, the last room (Final Boss) has this Object-set, changing the Object Set and pressing Enter does nothing except this: View attachment 105

You cannot enter the Object Editor, and the Object Set cannot be used anywhere else.

Yeah, Nintendo created this tileset for the final boss battle, but never actually used it

Alright, as hack director, i have a few questions about the development managment.

1. Does analyzing the editor count as "Research & Analysis"? I intended R&A to be resreach and analysis of the game, but a bunch of you guys have been analyzing the editor. Does that mean you need to be credited as "Research & Analysis" ?
  2. So far it seems that 607 is the only person who signed up to be a programmer. To be fair, if we can't export/import levels into the hack, then we can not have 2 people working on different levels at the same time, as there would only be 1 version of the hack. However, it would still be better if we had more programmers. Even thought they would need to take turns doing the programming, the work would be split between them, so each would have less work. Is anyone else interested in programming?
  3. And what will do with the playtesting? We have 3 people interested in playtesting, but I feel like everyone one of us will end up playtesting the game. Does that mean we will have to credit everybody for it? Also, we will need some Out-Of-House playtesters. But will we need them during the game development? Or will we only need them whenever we finish the game?

Alright, as hack director, i have a few questions about the development managment.

1. Does analyzing the editor count as "Research & Analysis"? I intended R&A to be resreach and analysis of the game, but a bunch of you guys have been analyzing the editor. Does that mean you need to be credited as "Research & Analysis" ?
  2. So far it seems that 607 is the only person who signed up to be a programmer. To be fair, if we can't export/import levels into the hack, then we can not have 2 people working on different levels at the same time, as there would only be 1 version of the hack. However, it would still be better if we had more programmers. Even thought they would need to take turns doing the programming, the work would be split between them, so each would have less work. Is anyone else interested in programming?
  3. And what will do with the playtesting? We have 3 people interested in playtesting, but I feel like everyone one of us will end up playtesting the game. Does that mean we will have to credit everybody for it? Also, we will need some Out-Of-House playtesters. But will we need them during the game development? Or will we only need them whenever we finish the game?
I can give you an out-of-house playtester ;) I think crediting all of them won't be a problem, because our credits are shorter than Nintendo's as it is now, but we definitely don't need to list ourselves as playtesters, because that's too obvious. Only the playtesters that aren't mentioned anywhere else in the credits should be credited as playtester.
I think Haiko can be programmer too, right? If he likes. I mean, we both have a decent amount of experience with rom hacking.
Research & Analysis? I don't really know. You can also ask the people themselves. I mean, I'll just be the director and programmer (unfortunately most likely no composer :(), I don't need to be featured at Research & Analysis, but people can just give their own thoughts on how they think they should be credited.

I can give you an out-of-house playtester ;) I think crediting all of them won't be a problem, because our credits are shorter than Nintendo's as it is now, but we definitely don't need to list ourselves as playtesters, because that's too obvious. Only the playtesters that aren't mentioned anywhere else in the credits should be credited as playtester.
I think Haiko can be programmer too, right? If he likes. I mean, we both have a decent amount of experience with rom hacking.
Research & Analysis? I don't really know. You can also ask the people themselves. I mean, I'll just be the director and programmer (unfortunately most likely no composer :(), I don't need to be featured at Research & Analysis, but people can just give their own thoughts on how they think they should be credited.

I know a certain Let's Player who i would love to playtest our game. He's amazing at finding bugs and glitches. However, he never finished the origional game :p

Well, each person would be credited in multiple places. I mean, each job lists it's people, and if a person works on multiple things, they would still be credited for multiple things. But i guess in terms of playtesting, we'll only list out-of-house people.

Aww... Why no music composer? :(

I know a certain Let's Player who i would love to playtest our game. He's amazing at finding bugs and glitches. However, he never finished the origional game :p

Well, each person would be credited in multiple places. I mean, each job lists it's people, and if a person works on multiple things, they would still be credited for multiple things. But i guess in terms of playtesting, we'll only list out-of-house people.

Aww... Why no music composer? :(
Yeah, but it's just really obvious that programmers and level design people also playtest their own levels.
Well, we didn't find a way to edit the music, right?

I wonder if we can actually make the snakes go all the way into the pot, and then Wario could enter the pot/pipe with a snake in it, like Mario enters a pipe with a piranta plant in it.
Thing is, because this is a nechanic that's not in the origional game, how would the player know they can do that?

We could make it a secret bonus room.

Also I hated that the coin counter stops at 999 and there arent many places where you can spend money. Maybe we should add more places where you can spend coins.

Also I hated that the coin counter stops at 999 and there arent many places where you can spend money. Maybe we should add more places where you can spend coins.

On what?
And how would we do that? That would probably require some ASM hacking. Plus, what else can you spend coins on other than a minigame?

We could make it a secret bonus room.

You got a point there. We can make it go to an Easter Egg Room. No keys, no treasures, no Music (Wario) coins. But we could put some kind of easter egg in there, like the words "Wario Forums" written with tiles

I wonder if we can actually make the snakes go all the way into the pot, and then Wario could enter the pot/pipe with a snake in it, like Mario enters a pipe with a piranta plant in it.
I can try. ^^
Thing is, because this is a nechanic that's not in the origional game, how would the player know they can do that?
I could change the picture on the pot from a snake to a down arrow or something. Making a sprite for a second pot is easy.

Back