[Poll] Do you consider yourself a gamer?

Simple question: Do you consider yourself a gamer? (Gamer is not the same as player.)

• Yes

• No

• Don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm pretty much a gamer by this point.
A couple of years ago I wouldn't say that, but nowadays, yeah I can safely say i'm a gamer.

Though i'm definitely not one of those "hardcore gamers" or "retro gamers" or whatever fancy smancy term exist on the internet these days.
I'm just a plain old gamer who simply likes playing video games. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
I used to be just a player but by the time the time i was in middle school i was definitely a gamer since that's when i fell into the wonderful world of JRPGs. That's not to say i'm a JRPG gamer, i'll play anything if its good but i have preferences for the games i play.

Going_SSJ1.jpg

Uh... on a technical standpoint, I guess?

I mean like, yeah I enjoy games. I have games I very much like to play. Its something that has my interests and fascination and junk. But I dunno, I dont see the term "gamer" to represent people who just merely play games of some sort, but more of a like sub-culture of people who have made the industry a major part of their lives.

I dont like the term : p I dont like the idea of video games defining me. I mean, I just think theyre fun. And yeah SOMETIMES I enjoy the history of the companies and the stories they have, it can be really interesting. And in a way I think of it as an art, I mean someone out there used their imagination to come up with some work that others can appreciate and enjoy. I dont take the "art" thing as seriously as others : p I mean music is an art but I dont really see all music as art : p Like I wouldnt call this years football game a work of art, haha.

But yeah, no I dont consider myself a gamer : p I have specific games I enjoy, and some I like so much that I even own merchandise for said games. Like I have a few skies of arcadia posters I plan on sharing here on WF soonish. But they arent my life or anything, I dont even consider music to be "my life" or what defines me or any of that : p theyre just hobbies and interests, and I think theyre neat.

I really kinda hate it when I meet someone who considers themselves a "gamer" and like they try to engage in gamer talk with me, like I have no idea what they are talking about nor do I know ANYTHING about the games they play or the latest gaming news : p Its one thing if we actually like the same games, and sometimes I even enjoy just learning new things about them, sure. But like, I dont think were on the same team just because we both share a similar interest, and its not something that I think would make a good foundation for a sudden friendship : p
(I have this coworker whos very much like this, he always asks me to come over to his place and check out his new call of duty or whatever, like seriously thats not something I want to do ever : p)

All that being said, I do find video games to be really neat and interesting, I naturally am into like rivalries and junk anyway, so I always really enjoy learning about like Nintendo and Sega back in the 90s and stuff like that, there is alot of neat history there, and I have always found consoles and hardware to be really interesting too, for whatever reason. I like comparing my Dreamcast to my Gamecube for an unknown reason, haha.

I'm a gamer in one way. And a guy that just wants to have fun in another way. I play games not for the challenge, I play games for the Adventurer and story! Especially when the story is wacky, funny, and just plane crazy. I am interested in the more mature games like Half Life and GTA, but at the end of the day..... I just want to fell like a 7 year old and laugh my ass off.

I love all games, if I had an island of my own, I would be playing different games 24/7. I guess I am a gamer, I find a lot of the games fun and interesting how it goes. Nintendo games was the first thing I started playing when I was young.

Oooh, MonxiasyshRema77 brings up a good point.

Being what most people would probly call a "gamer", I for real have NO shame playing games on the easiest setting, or about beating everyone else in a game, or about high score or achievements or any of that : p

I just like playing them when they are fun, if I think a game is too difficult to be fun, I will for real go into the settings and change it to easy, and feel 100% okay with it : p

Oooh, MonxiasyshRema77 brings up a good point.

Being what most people would probly call a "gamer", I for real have NO shame playing games on the easiest setting, or about beating everyone else in a game, or about high score or achievements or any of that : p

I just like playing them when they are fun, if I think a game is too difficult to be fun, I will for real go into the settings and change it to easy, and feel 100% okay with it : p
Now don't get me wrong. I DO love me a game play on hard mode, but ONLY when I master a game on the other modes. But I can only master so much in my life. I still can't master the art of the 200cc on Mario kart. I MUST MASTER IT!!

I have never liked being defined by video games, either. I love all sorts of games, from energetic outdoor activities, to good old card and board games.

What really bothers me is when people associate me as a video game junkie, just because I own a ship-load of video games and some posters of my all-time favourite series. Honestly, I barely clock in an hour of playing a week. Hardly the lifestyle of a gamer or video game junkie, huh?

I'm gamer in that I engage in the act of playing games. I also hate the label and don't like seeing it as an identity. I also think being proud of being a "gamer" is silly.

I was actually watching a Gavin McInnes video the other day (I should post that this is in no way an endorsement for Gavin McInnes, I was just watching a video of his just cuz, he says alot of things that I disagree with), and part of the topic of his video included gaming and people who play games.

He said that he believed that video games were a big part of the reason the younger, newer generation of people today (like people in their early to mid 20s) were engaging in less physical relations than any other generation. I thought the statement was pretty silly, especially since I see this as a complete non-issue, as long as people are still getting married and having children. But I was surprised at the amount of "gamers" who left negative comments in the comment section as a reaction : p

Like, they took it as a personal issue, as if it were an insult to their very being, haha. I didnt think it was all that big of a deal : p

In my opinion, anyone who would join a forums dedicated to a video game character is a Gamer. If someone is that big a fan that they'd have nerdy conversations on the internet about Wario, you have to be a bigger lover of video games than a casual player.

I was actually watching a Gavin McInnes video the other day (I should post that this is in no way an endorsement for Gavin McInnes, I was just watching a video of his just cuz, he says alot of things that I disagree with), and part of the topic of his video included gaming and people who play games.

He said that he believed that video games were a big part of the reason the younger, newer generation of people today (like people in their early to mid 20s) were engaging in less physical relations than any other generation. I thought the statement was pretty silly, especially since I see this as a complete non-issue, as long as people are still getting married and having children. But I was surprised at the amount of "gamers" who left negative comments in the comment section as a reaction : p

Like, they took it as a personal issue, as if it were an insult to their very being, haha. I didnt think it was all that big of a deal : p

It's really stupid how some people swear a kind of honour or loyalty to one particular hobby like video games, yet you don't see that from people indulging in other forms of entertainment. I mean... I'm a "reader". I like to read books. Does that mean I'll get up in arms and bite anybody's head off if they ponder the effects of reading?

Bad example, but you get my point.

I mean of course people will take that as a personal attack. If someone said "people who read books are antisocial", wouldn't that upset people who read books?

You don't have to identify as something to be upset about someone making negative comments about something you do.

And this is the internet. Everyone gets outraged on it. It's not gamers who are just doing it.

Back