[Poll] Does anyone else feel like Wario Land Shake it/ Shake Dimension was underwhelming?

Was Wario Land Shake It/ Shake Dimension Underwhelming?

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

GunGod64

Wario is so proud of you
I always felt that shake it was way too similar to four, which messed up the whole "every game is a bit different from the last" thing the series seemed to be going for. I just feel like the game never took any risks, and as a result, the whole game just felt like watered down four instead of an improvement. Anyone feel the same about this?

Yeah, quite a few people thought it was underwhelming. The level of creativity in the level themes and aesthetics was certainly lower than before, so it felt pretty safe in that regard too.

And the level design was pretty lacklustre over as well. Lots of places where trial and error was necessary for 100% completion with no chance to undo your mistakes without restarting the stage, and much of the time the mechanics didn't really fit into the levels they were introduced in. For example, why are there poles to swing from in an African style savannah? Or cannons in an Egyptian pyramid? It's like they pulled level mechanics out of a hat or something (a problem also noticeable in Mario 3D Land and World).

It was definitely an underwhelming experience.

The issue, imo, wasn't the fact that it was similar to Wario Land 4, as I really love that game design. Wario Land Shake It was wonderful in terms of art, everything was vibrant and even the music was good! However, I felt like the way Wario controls is what completely breaks the game for me. If you look back at Wario Land 4 and remember how fluid Wario's movements were, mixed in with how bouncy and crazy the game was overall, WLSI is pale and heavy and slow. At times it even feels clunky... like you can't even dash slide under small gaps, among other things and it made it so the game felt like it dragged on after a while. Just felt boring and at times a bit frustrating. It's a real shame because everything else is just awesome.
Oh yeah, I remember the throwing mechanics, something that used to be snappy and practical is now slow and annoying due to the motion controls.
I love the game but it's definitely fallen under the other games because of it.

I never bought it, and am not planning to, as I've read from very little people that they liked it. And even if I was more of a collector, I wouldn't need it to complete my collection, as I probably won't ever get Virtual Boy Wario Land.

Shake It, oddly enough, was my first foray into the Wario series, so it has a special place in my heart. While I didn't find it underwhelming myself, I can understand others finding it underwhelming, especially after playing Wario Land 2 (which to this day is one of my favorite platformers). The game was absolutely beautifully animated in my opinion, but the level design was a bit off at times. This was one of Good-Feel's first games if I'm correct, and I think they've improved vastly in terms of level design. As CM30 said, there were a lot of "trial and error" parts of levels, things that you could not possibly see coming but feel punished for. The Max Fastosisy dasherators were a fun idea, but it goes so fast that most players, myself included, couldn't possibly react to anything the level threw at us. it just appeared on the screen and get passed by Wario far too quickly, again making the player feel like they should have been familiar with a level that they never played before. I understand that Good-Feel wanted to go for level replayability, but adding new optional areas to levels that have the same goal is difficult, especially when said areas are not in separate rooms.

I consider Shake It to be a worthy addition to the series, it's just the gap between 4 and Shake It that made it a tad bit disappointing. That's not to say there is any major problem but when you gotta wait more than several years I expect the best damn game since Beat em' and Eat em' and what I got was a shiny looking slightly less good WL4

I consider Shake It to be a worthy addition to the series, it's just the gap between 4 and Shake It that made it a tad bit disappointing. That's not to say there is any major problem but when you gotta wait more than several years I expect the best damn game since Beat em' and Eat em' and what I got was a shiny looking slightly less good WL4
Yes, definitely worth playing. In the end, the game is awesome and I was very satisfied with it.

Yes, definitely worth playing. In the end, the game is awesome and I was very satisfied with it.
Well, then maybe I should reconsider. :P
Eh, I don't play too many console games anyway, I really prefer handhelds. So I might get it once, but there are probably many games I'd get before it (like Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns).

you threatenin me.png

(jokes aside, you're right though-- that I've never played to the end of the game before despite liking it should tell us something.
(the music was still great however :gwdancing:)

I don't think so, I love the missions that keep me busy, the wide variety of levels, it's all very great! Especially the art and the music. This game has one of the best video game soundtracks of all time imo! I love how each level has its own unique escape theme, and a lot of them are amazing, like the ones for Gurgle Gulch, Stonetooth Cave and Bamboozle Village. But then again, I might just be thinking this due to nostalgia, as it was the first one I have played. I have Wario Land 3 in my 3DS and so far I don't really see how people say it's better, the only real difference to me is finding the key before getting the treasure, rather than just reaching the end. But hey, what do I know?

• Creative
Reactions: 607
I don't think so, I love the missions that keep me busy, the wide variety of levels, it's all very great! Especially the art and the music. This game has one of the best video game soundtracks of all time imo! I love how each level has its own unique escape theme, and a lot of them are amazing, like the ones for Gurgle Gulch, Stonetooth Cave and Bamboozle Village. But then again, I might just be thinking this due to nostalgia, as it was the first one I have played. I have Wario Land 3 in my 3DS and so far I don't really see how people say it's better, the only real difference to me is finding the key before getting the treasure, rather than just reaching the end. But hey, what do I know?
Uh ohhh you are playing a dangerous game my friend

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Back