Mario Sports Series' Discussion

What's the best Mario Sports Series?

• Total voters

I alway liked how much of a different feeling this version of the Out of the Woods theme has from the original, just by having very different instrumentation.

Mario kart 8 getting an update?
tumblr_ofcofz8iDg1qf5hjqo4_250.gif

One thing I'd be curious to know is which Wario themed courts/arenas/whatevers in the games would you consider to be yout favorite.

While I personally can enjoy Wario courts/arenas/whatevers that are completely origianal I'm generally far, far more of a sucker for ones with closer relation to the actual Wario games.

I guess I may as well make this a top 3:

3: Wario Factory (Mario Power Tennis)
100384265.jpg

In many respects this may not seem like it's that strongly related to any particular Wario game, the factory isn't a place we have ever seen in WarioWare (even to this day), but still the WarioWare art was very neat surprise, given that Mega Micro Game$ only came out the previous year and the Wario World Hub theme remix, further adds to it, While this may not sound spectacular I think that's already really cool, adding little things from both sites of the Wario franchise, which gave it a lot of charm. I personally just always really liked it,

2: Wario's Shipyard (Mario Kart 7)
latest

Everyone's made the comparison to the sunken SS Teacup, whether or not it was intentional is up in the air, especially since there is no direct reference to the Black Sugar Pirate Gang. Personally I always thought the allusion was intentional, particulary thanks to the Bull Wario cameo and the music, which on top of sounding like a mash up of several Land 1 tracks also has a instrumentation that very much sounds like modernized Land 1 music:

I always figured the Land 1 vipes were intentional and they play the main part in why I always grin the entire time I'm racing on the track.

1: Wario Palace (Mario Superstar Baseball)
640px-WarPalace.PNG

This is my favorite because it's pretty much the closest we have ever gotten to a Wario game level being directly lifted into a Mario title. The palace theme and gold statues (though those are just Wario World thing in general) are clearly referencing Wario's castle in World (which we never see from the outside), while the playing field, with the desert theme, palmtrees and ''Sandstorms'':
640px-WarPalaceSandstorm-1.jpg
20140914_165105-1.jpg

are directly lifted from World's final level Pecan Sands.

I made several posts regarding this playing field in the references thread, all because of the attention to detail, which Superstar Baseball is generally really good at, with stuff like the Swanky Kong cameo and needless to say it's always nice to see the same kind of love and attention for Wario.

One thing I'd be curious to know is which Wario themed courts/arenas/whatevers in the games would you consider to be yout favorite.

While I personally can enjoy Wario courts/arenas/whatevers that are completely origianal I'm generally far, far more of a sucker for ones with closer relation to the actual Wario games.

I guess I may as well make this a top 3:

3: Wario Factory (Mario Power Tennis)
View attachment 3269

In many respects this may not seem like it's that strongly related to any particular Wario game, the factory isn't a place we have ever seen in WarioWare (even to this day), but still the WarioWare art was very neat surprise, given that Mega Micro Game$ only came out the previous year and the Wario World Hub theme remix, further adds to it, While this may not sound spectacular I think that's already really cool, adding little things from both sites of the Wario franchise, which gave it a lot of charm. I personally just always really liked it,

latest

Everyone's made the comparison to the sunken SS Teacup, whether or not it was intentional is up in the air, especially since there is no direct reference to the Black Sugar Pirate Gang. Personally I always thought the allusion was intentional, particulary thanks to the Bull Wario cameo and the music, which on top of sounding like a mash up of several Land 1 tracks also has a instrumentation that very much sounds like modernized Land 1 music:

I always figured the Land 1 vipes were intentional and they play the main part in why I always grin the entire time I'm racing on the track.

1: Wario Palace (Mario Superstar Baseball)
640px-WarPalace.PNG

This is my favorite because it's pretty much the closest we have ever gotten to a Wario game level being directly lifted into a Mario title. The palace theme and gold statues (though those are just Wario World thing in general) are clearly referencing Wario's castle in World (which we never see from the outside), while the playing field, with the desert theme, palmtrees and ''Sandstorms'':
View attachment 3270 View attachment 3271
are directly lifted from World's final level Pecan Sands.

I made several posts regarding this playing field in the references thread, all because of the attention to detail, which Superstar Baseball is generally really good at, with stuff like the Swanky Kong cameo and needless to say it's always nice to see the same kind of love and attention for Wario.

That's pretty great, I had no idea Superstar Baseball lifted things directly from Wario World. Seems like those baseball games really made an attempt to tap into the greater Mario universe (K.Rool was playable for god's sake) and I think that's totally awesome. More games should be like that.

latest

The only other tracks in the Mario Kart series that lift anything from the actual Wario games would be the Arcade game with the whole Diamond City track and the N64 Wario stadium with having the old Wario logo and not much else. I'm still grateful that Mario Kart has yet to go down the route of Smash Bros by emphasizing his wealth and arrogance rather than his grossness.

Oh wow I completely forgot about this. Not sure if I like these new baseball mechanics. I wonder who are the 2 unlockables?

I do wonder that as well, my money is on someone like Petey Piranha, looking at the character select screen it seems the hidden charas may both be power types or something completely different from all the types.

On a site note I really like those new renders:
aaaaaaaa.JPG

Last edited:
Another recent trailer:

The game looks fine, but so far it seems rather....fundamental? I dunno, I'm just missing the more Marioesque elements, like unique themed playing fields with gimmicks/traps or items.

It's starting to look like Ultra Smash in which everything we saw in the early trailers is the whole game...

What a waste of potential. now to be honest, I wasn't expecting anything grand to begin with judging from the trailers, (Even it's debut trailer.) but you'll think with Namco Bandai and Camelot teaming up to make a sports game together and bringing all the sports together into one plus new sports on top, plus all those stunning artwork and renders we got awhile back, that i'll be more then what it actually was. Guess I was just too optimistic in the end. And now with this coming after Ultra Smash, plus the lack of any real marketing. The Mario Sports games are most likely gonna take a long hiatus after this. And that's a shame, because both this and Ultra Smash had a lot of potential to be the best entries in the series, but Nintendo/Camelot never used that potential, and now instead of becoming what they could have been, they are now just worthless mediocre entries, like why play these two, when previous sports games on older consoles have done so much better. Like I said, just a bunch of wasted fucking shameful potential. And both Nintendo and Camelot should be ashamed of the existence of these two games, because hopefully that shame would motivate them to do better with future entries on the Switch and future consoles, if future entries are even a consideration at this point.

Camelot what are you doing!!!
;( I was looking forward to this too but I guess it became evident early on that they would spread themselves out too thinly.
They didn't even pick interesting characters for the unlockables and went with quite possibly the worst possible choices.

Back