[Poll] The NX will have game cartridges?

Will the NX be using cartridges?

• Total voters
Maybe there could be other bounty hunters, Prime 3 did end off showing Sylux's ship and Prime Hunter took place after the first Prime game.

Paid very good attention to detail yeah at the end of it we do get a glimpse of another hunter's ship, Sylux being alluded in the prime hunters manual going about his hatred for the galactic federation and samus herself. Maybe if there was a game developed they could bring Sylux or any of the other prime hunters back, it'd be a neat way to finish the prime series in a way or if they've followed her at the end of fusion.

Old concepts made new? I'd love to see an example, since my memory on cartridges are how I grew up with them as compared to discs now.

@Hex Scout Yes a new 2.5D Metroid wouldn't be a bad idea to take concepts from other m. Of course trying to tie in the story with fusion since it is chronologically the last in the series and we still have yet to see how Samus survived with her fusion suit on against the x-parasites.

Ok, tell me, how much can you store in an external harddrive (the ones without the disc inside)? Now I think it goes up to one terabytes of data. These are the size of a SNES cartridge, even smaller. Now you can understand how much it evolved.

It should be one terabytes now with only an external harddrive, now I can see why this would be a huge step up. Now all there's left is if people and even Nintendo themselves would be happy to go back to cartridges. Still feel unsure if I still want cartridges back or just stick with optical discs, guess it's all up to a person to decide.

Though, Federation Force I believe takes place after Corruption, so maybe the hunters can appear in that?

@BlueJackG Well technology has advanced over for the past 30 years. Who knows, cartridge could be quite powerful. I'll wait to see if this rumor is true or not.

BlueJackG - I would love to see a return to cartridges, IF they have truly evolved in memory. Back in the N64 days they were the cause of many a great game going sour because of horrible limitations.
Also, folks, if you think cartridges make you feel old, spare a thought for the old ZX Spectrum or Commodore 64 cassette tapes!! R.I.P.

Last edited:
Tbh, I still don't understand what's SO good about optical discs...

• You can't save your games in them;
  • They can't be stored out of a container;
  • You can't touch one of the sides, or you may scratch it;
  • If they have the tinyest scratch, the game breaks;
  • They make loads of noise when you load a game;
  • They take FOREVER to load, plus they usually have loading screens between areas of the game;
  • They all look the same! I miss the cool cartridge designs;
  • The reader eats the dust that is on them, you need to get cleaning kits to make them work properly again...
And with cartridges, you don't have to and you shouldn't blow into them. Since I made the little boxes for them, I never had to blow into those cartridges again! They still work fine today!

I just don't get it...

BlueJackG - I would love to see a return to cartridges, IF they have truly evolved in memory. Back in the N64 days they were the cause of many a great game going sour because of horrible limitations.
Also, folks, if you think cartridges make you feel old, spare a thought for the old ZX Spectrum or Commodore 64 cassette tapes!! R.I.P. *Cries*

Believe me, cartridge memory has evolved a lot!

Tbh, I still don't understand what's SO good about optical discs...

• You can't save your games in them;
  • They can't be stored out of a container;
  • You can't touch one of the sides, or you may scratch it;
  • If they have the tinyest scratch, the game breaks;
  • They make loads of noise when you load a game;
  • They take FOREVER to load, plus they usually have loading screens between areas of the game;
  • They all look the same! I miss the cool cartridge designs;
  • The reader eats the dust that is on them, you need to get cleaning kits to make them work properly again...
And with cartridges, you don't have to and you shouldn't blow into them. Since I made the little boxes for them, I never had to blow into those cartridges again! They still work fine today!

I just don't get it...

Too right. All you need is a good cover! I was blowing out cartridges left and right when I was a kid, but these days I keep them all in cases and I never have an issue.

Excuse me for earlier if I sounded confusing. I was trying to make a distinction between the older bulkier cartridges and the small card like things we get for the DS and 3DS but I guess aside from size they are essentially the same.

Excuse me for earlier if I sounded confusing. I was trying to make a distinction between the older bulkier cartridges and the small card like things we get for the DS and 3DS but I guess aside from size they are essentially the same.

It's ok, and yes they'd be like 3DS cards, but I just can't see them being that small... Technology isn't there yet, at least at an affortable price. They'd look great on a shelf though! ;)

Ah, yes! I don't see Nintendo bringing cartridges back, honestly... but if I were to make the choice, I'd say yes. I haven't done enough research of course, but from what I know, I think using cartridges for the NX would be a very good choice. Except some people might find it old-fashioned.

Ive only heard like DS and 3DS games referred to as cards, I mean by like everyone too : p I havent heard the word cartridge since the N64.
I dont know what the difference is between the two things, but I can definitely say everyone over here where I am calls them cards, just like SD cards and all that.

And Id love a return to cartridges/ cards over continuing with disks. All the reasons BlueJackG have listed have definitely sold me, on top of that Ive never been real big on the move to disk based platform other than the fact they cold hold more info : p

I have one concern though, something Magma brought up. Cost. That was one of the two big failures of the N64 sticking with cartridges move. The cost of making a disk is literally a few cents, where cartridges cost about 25$ to make, meaning Playstation games cost around 30-40$ where N64 games cost about 60$. That had a big impact on N64 sales too, Ive read. If the cost of NX games went up because of this move, then I would be against it.

Well beside their cost of manufacturing, the other big issue with old-school cartridges was that Nintendo owned them eans of productions, which means Nintendo could dictate how many and when copies of a given game was produced, which often screwed third-parties over.

for reference, a blank blu-ray disc (... from a single provider) costed $1.87 in 2009, and they certainly have gone lower since then. An higher end SD card is nowhere near as expensive as an old cartridge, but it's still considerably more expensive than a disc.

It's ok, and yes they'd be like 3DS cards, but I just can't see them being that small... Technology isn't there yet, at least at an affortable price. They'd look great on a shelf though! ;)
C2dy-GaVIAU_5aO.jpg

8 months later and look at the progress we've made!!

They're so small though... I wanted bigger ones! Oh well, I was right after all, they chose to use cartridges! Yes! Thank you, I'll take the cake!
bye!

My main concern is that the 3rd party companies will leave them alone and go for a better hardware, it happened with the N64, it happened with the GCN and it happened with the Wii U.

Back