The Original Character Thread

Coins
Coins
hello i made my charecter Bario he is wario but he is black ok. which is why he is Bario and not Wario.
thank you and have a happy Hanukkah

wario.png

Cheesehead

Schmotty Schmops
Coins
Coins
Username Change
A new OC is crashing the party!
20181215_151922.gif

Her name is Varli, and she's an alien, but not the same species as Xabby. She intends to do experiments on magical things, including Eliso, who she used to want to dissect. Then Demetria got the idea of dissecting Eliso hehehe.

Just a Wario Fan

Next to me, you're all number two!
Coins
Coins
Username Change CD Game BOI Advance - Pre-Sale Edition! User Name Style Change An Item
A new OC is crashing the party!
View attachment 8779
Her name is Varli, and she's an alien, but not the same species as Xabby. She intends to do experiments on magical things, including Eliso, who she used to want to dissect. Then Demetria got the idea of dissecting Eliso hehehe.
I like how it is animated. :SSmile:

Cheesehead

Schmotty Schmops
Coins
Coins
Username Change
Not even February yet but Happy Varlentine's Day from my ayylien gals
1548817162775.png

That girl who I called "Meaner Memer," I have finally decided on her real name. Maura. Maura Mina.
And Eliso's little bro, Ennio, he's got a new design. Right here.
1548560225784.png

1548562004002.png

1548561163609.png

Yes, they are Varli's species.

tahutoa

Talks a lottt. Fragile. Odd but means well.
Coins
Coins
Gold Crown Gold Bracelets Postbit Highlight (Pre-Defined) Post Shadow Styled Thread Title
Soup Once Again.png

God, I haven't drawn this fucker in literal years.
This. Is Soup. That is his name. The story behind that is, when I was a lad of ~11, I was using Scratch 1.4, making shitty palette swaps. Someone called me out on that, like "is that all you can do" and I immediately set out to prove myself. I made a project with a chicken broth-colored background, a black floor w/ two airborne black rectangles, and made a red ball with a face just like the one up in the top right.
I did "Save As," but couldn't think of a name for the project. Something happened where my mother looked at it, somehow that led into the project being named Soup. By his next appearance, I gave him white mitten hands and got rid of his mouth. The next: he gained Kirby feet, which were also white. Shortly after, we had that one you see imitating Toad from the 1st SMB. Fast forward a few years, and I was alternating between these three designs you see in the image (that aren't the ball). As you can see, even now I rather like the design utilizing white for the sphere instead of red.
wham bam rock.png

oops i accidentally made that generic mook's design too appealing
now i gotta draw that too

tahutoa

Coins
Coins
Gold Crown Gold Bracelets Postbit Highlight (Pre-Defined) Post Shadow Styled Thread Title
View attachment 9022
God, I haven't drawn this fucker in literal years.
This. Is Soup. That is his name. The story behind that is, when I was a lad of ~11, I was using Scratch 1.4, making shitty palette swaps. Someone called me out on that, like "is that all you can do" and I immediately set out to prove myself. I made a project with a chicken broth-colored background, a black floor w/ two airborne black rectangles, and made a red ball with a face just like the one up in the top right.
I did "Save As," but couldn't think of a name for the project. Something happened where my mother looked at it, somehow that led into the project being named Soup. By his next appearance, I gave him white mitten hands and got rid of his mouth. The next: he gained Kirby feet, which were also white. Shortly after, we had that one you see imitating Toad from the 1st SMB. Fast forward a few years, and I was alternating between these three designs you see in the image (that aren't the ball). As you can see, even now I rather like the design utilizing white for the sphere instead of red.
View attachment 9029
oops i accidentally made that generic mook's design too appealing
now i gotta draw that too
1549521652897.png

Okay, here he is. Rarely does the goblet man break his neutral expression, instead conveying his personality through doting "nerr" sounds and exaggerated body language, in his daily experiences aboard a pirate ship. He works as the chef, and a surprisingly good one at that. The first mate doesn't like him much, but the captain does, finding his eccentric, cat-like behaviour rather charming.
And to think: all those ideas spawned from drawing a simple sailor pose.

Cheesehead

Schmotty Schmops
Coins
Coins
Username Change
Now Varli's a deluxe babe
1549589795153.png

"Ohhh, zis tsoilet makes-ah me feel powerful... So muts power... Zats a lot of power... I AM-EH ZA MIGHTSY VARLI DZELUXE!! SOMESING TSRULY MAZICAL! OUT'S' OF ZIS WORLD! ZIS STSRANGE WORLD! SO STSRANGE! NYEEHAHAHAHA!!.......I zust hope zat littsle Earsling girl doesn't's' poop on my partsy. No want's' for zat. No want's'."
yes this is kind of a funetik aksent, I confirmed her to have some such alien accent, and I wanted to try it on dialogue of Varli at least once hehe

Cheesehead

Schmotty Schmops
Coins
Coins
Username Change
Woah... I was able to design 6 characters on 1 day...
20190210_210131~2-1.jpg

This girl is a tentacled, crab clawed mermaid. I have come up with a name for her, making me draw a bubble coming out of her belly button. She's called Bubblegut, which may or may not be her real name. I haven't confirmed it yet. Also, those are skeleton hands she's wearing as a top.

20190210_210131~2-2.jpg

This girl is a slime mummy ghost.

20190210_210131~2-3.jpg

This girl is a vampire zombie spider. She even has 4 eyes.

20190210_210131~2-4.jpg

This girl is a cyborg tree snake.

20190210_210131~2-5.jpg

This girl is an elf bird orc.

20190210_210131~2-6.jpg

And finally, this boy is a leprechaun cactus mantis.
Names and colored pics coming soon.

20190210_210131~2.jpg

tahutoa

Coins
Coins
Woah... I was able to design 6 characters on 1 day...
I definitely think the idea of 'combination' monsters is a neat concept-- Vampider is definitely my favorite of the bunch, and though I'm a bit eh on her having actual bat-wing arms I think she and Gum have the best designs. Also, since she's a slime & a ghost, which both have shapeshifting abilities, wouldn't that mean she could give herself a nose?

and speaking of combination monsters, I thought about combining a Dryad (one of the only non-standard fae I'm personally aware of) with something,
which made me think about Scooby-Doo Meets Batman (where I learned about the Dryad from),
wherein Joker & Penguin dress up as a Dryad & a Troll, respectively,
which made me think of Penguin's "they will find it's not a toll bridge, but a troll bridge" line (top kek, btw),
which led me to make this picture.
I know that was a lot of pathway changes to get where we are, but if I didn't go through all that this image's being here would make no sense.

Troll Booth.png

Last edited:

tahutoa

Coins
Coins
I definitely think the idea of 'combination' monsters is a neat concept-- Vampider is definitely my favorite of the bunch, and though I'm a bit eh on her having actual bat-wing arms I think she and Gum have the best designs. Also, since she's a slime & a ghost, which both have shapeshifting abilities, wouldn't that mean she could give herself a nose?

and speaking of combination monsters, I thought about combining a Dryad (one of the only non-standard fae I'm personally aware of) with something,
which made me think about Scooby-Doo Meets Batman (where I learned about the Dryad from),
wherein Joker & Penguin dress up as a Dryad & a Troll, respectively,
which made me think of Penguin's "they will find it's not a toll bridge, but a troll bridge" line (top kek, btw),
which led me to make this picture.
I know that was a lot of pathway changes to get where we are, but if I didn't go through all that this image's being here would make no sense.
Interestingly, SDMB's depiction of a dryad seems to be an atypical interpretation. However, since it's the only thing where the word's been even remotely relevant for me, it's what I know.
Luckily for you, the real interpretation of what a dryad is appears to be a human-looking creature who's super shy and is very attached to the tree it draws its vigor from, to where it dies if the tree does. If that isn't asking to be made into a cute-ass monster girl I don't know what is.
Dryad.png

Okay, so 1.5 hours later (I paused typing mid-sentence and decided to go into MS Paint), and the drawing is finished; Dryad girl.
Everything was done in MS Paint by hand, so I'm really impressed with myself when it comes to the shading-- just look at that mystery plant life over at the far right!

Dryad 200.png

Last edited:

Cheesehead

Schmotty Schmops
Coins
Coins
Username Change
1549904864040.png

Top left is Wormstench, top middle is Gumgleam, top right is Goldgreen, bottom left is Seedspark, bottom middle is Bubblegut, and bottom right is Bloodburp.

Last edited:

tahutoa

Coins
Coins
Top left is Wormstench, top middle is Gumgleam, top right is Goldgreen, bottom left is Seedspark, bottom middle is Bubblegut, and bottom right is Bloodburp.
Those sound like names for those Weebles Wobble ripoff "bean" things from 2005 that looked like slightly larger pill bottles, the ones whose designs were made purposefully disgusting.
Looks like I was right on the money with "Gum (Guh sound from ghost, uh sound from mummy, and mm sound from slime)" These combonsters are too good for that. Seriously though, even though it's "accurate," so to speak, that... last one... is literally-- I cna't bring myself to type it out and the fact that it's that revolting has me smiling like an idiot. I hate it but I don't. Either way, I'd still recommend a bit of revision if you want these characters to catch on.
It'd also be cool to see some crimson incorporated into Vampider's design, for the bat arms, perhaps, to go with the lavender skin, rather than full-on violet. On the whole, you've got something really neat and inspired here but some areas need work.

tahutoa

Coins
Coins
Those sound like names for those Weebles Wobble ripoff "bean" things from 2005 that looked like slightly larger pill bottles, the ones whose designs were made purposefully disgusting.
Looks like I was right on the money with "Gum (Guh sound from ghost, uh sound from mummy, and mm sound from slime)" These combonsters are too good for that. Seriously though, even though it's "accurate," so to speak, that... last one... is literally-- I cna't bring myself to type it out and the fact that it's that revolting has me smiling like an idiot. I hate it but I don't. Either way, I'd still recommend a bit of revision if you want these characters to catch on.
It'd also be cool to see some crimson incorporated into Vampider's design, for the bat arms, perhaps, to go with the lavender skin, rather than full-on violet. On the whole, you've got something really neat and inspired here but some areas need work.
...the only way I could be even remotely comfortable reciting the name Bloodburp is if it's in the context of a big burly bodyguard counterpart, who kind of acts like a mirror image, but like, with the bits that are zombie, vampire, & spider swapped around a bit? *leaves to make an ms paint doc*

you know like uh
1549913536695.png

I've never tried designing a monster before, but uh.
Not entirely fleshed out because I couldn't decide on what the main body should look like besides the overall shape.

Last edited: