Unpopular Video Game Opinions

KingDragonWario

Virtual Boy Apologist
Coins
Coins
User Title Style Change Gold Crown Gold Bracelets Gold Necklace Gold Earrings
Call of Duty is massively overhated. I don't care for the franchise much ever since they stopped doing WWII games but I wouldn't go around calling it a cancer or the worst game series ever.

stupidface

Give 'em the smug schtug'l
Coins
Coins
Porky Minch
I kinda miss video games not having voice acting. I liked being able to imagine characters' voices in my head.
I think this can said of other elements beyond voice acting as well. 99% of why I love older games especially from the Famicom era is that they're so abstract and vague that you kinda have to fill in the details yourself. You have to use your imagination. Makes me feel like a kid again, in a way that goes beyond muh nostalgia

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Coins
Coins
Profile Music
Call of Duty is massively overhated. I don't care for the franchise much ever since they stopped doing WWII games but I wouldn't go around calling it a cancer or the worst game series ever.
I'll go many steps further and say old Infinity Ward/Respawn really should be hailed as all-time great game designers more than they are now. You don't upend one of the busiest genre in gaming several times over if you don't have talent.

RevampedSpider

Long live Wario!
Coins
Coins
1 - Super Monkey Ball Adventure is a great game. Just as amazing as Monkey Ball 2.

2 - Celeste just exists to feed off of nostalgia with its cheap gameplay and pixel art. TL;DR I really don't like it.

3 - Nuts and Bolts is really really fun to me. Not as good as the original two, but still great. Saying it's a good game but "not a good Banjo game" is ridiculous because if it's not a "good Banjo game" but it's a good game, then what is it?

Magma

Level 15 Boos
Coins
Coins
Username Change User Name Style Change
3 - Nuts and Bolts is really really fun to me. Not as good as the original two, but still great. Saying it's a good game but "not a good Banjo game" is ridiculous because if it's not a "good Banjo game" but it's a good game, then what is it?
I mean it's not that weird a concept that for sequels or even spin offs, people have certain expectations as to what a new game should be like. People are usually more lenient with spin offs than main entries. If Nuts & Bolts was touted as a spin off people would probably be less harsh to it(at least up until they realized they weren't getting another main entry).

RevampedSpider

Long live Wario!
Coins
Coins
I mean it's not that weird a concept that for sequels or even spin offs, people have certain expectations as to what a new game should be like. People are usually more lenient with spin offs than main entries. If Nuts & Bolts was touted as a spin off people would probably be less harsh to it(at least up until they realized they weren't getting another main entry).
My point still stands. People should expect change.

Magma

Level 15 Boos
Coins
Coins
My point still stands. People should expect change.
Sure, change is to be expected. Super Mario World to Super Mario 64 is a pretty stark change but they are still grounded in platforming. Going from a pure platformer to a vehicle building game is too different.

A game can be "good" but also not be what people want out of a series. The two are not mutually exclusive. It's also probably easier to understand if you take into consideration the almost decade long gap between Banjo Tooie and Nuts and Bolts. Wait 8 years for a proper new Banjo game and then you get something that only sort of resembles Banjo on the surface and you're likely not going to be too happy.

RevampedSpider

Long live Wario!
Coins
Coins
Sure, change is to be expected. Super Mario World to Super Mario 64 is a pretty stark change but they are still grounded in platforming. Going from a pure platformer to a vehicle building game is too different.

A game can be "good" but also not be what people want out of a series. The two are not mutually exclusive. It's also probably easier to understand if you take into consideration the almost decade long gap between Banjo Tooie and Nuts and Bolts. Wait 8 years for a proper new Banjo game and then you get something that only sort of resembles Banjo on the surface and you're likely not going to be too happy.
Well this is Unpopular Video Game OPINIONS so why are we debating the obvious?

MonaWare

Sewn to our side
Diamond City Insider
Coins
Coins
User Name Style Change
I kinda miss video games not having voice acting. I liked being able to imagine characters' voices in my head.
I agree with this, and also with games requiring more imagination post.

Thats one thing that I actually had alot of fun with skyrim with, I totally created my own character in my head, gave her her own story and motivation, even a reasom why she used a battle axe, haha. I had a ton of fun with that.

I also enjoy how older games created with stricter limitations open up possibilities for your imagination. And I could also care less if a game has voice acting, Ive even turned off voice acting in some games.

Coins
Coins
what is this even supposed to mean
I think it's roughly supposed to mean that since the thread is about sharing unpopular opinions, you should consider twice before questioning someone or initiating a discussion, as since the opinions are supposed to be unpopular, the thread would consist of too much debate and disagreement otherwise.

Magma

Level 15 Boos
Coins
Coins
I think it's roughly supposed to mean that since the thread is about sharing unpopular opinions, you should consider twice before questioning someone or initiating a discussion, as since the opinions are supposed to be unpopular, the thread would consist of too much debate and disagreement otherwise.
I mean this is still a forums, this is still a place for discussion. Otherwise, this is simply a list of unrelated opinions that no one might as well read if no one is going to discuss on at least an occasional basis.

stupidface

Give 'em the smug schtug'l
Coins
Coins
Porky Minch
that's what I figured

Still, why would you discourage conversation because opinions are just, like, opinions, man in a thread dedicated to sharing opinions on contentious subjects for the specific purpose of comparing and discussing
god forbid we challenge somebody's opinion and promote icky sticky ookie spooky discussion

Coins
Coins
I mean this is still a forums, this is still a place for discussion. Otherwise, this is simply a list of unrelated opinions that no one might as well read if no one is going to discuss on at least an occasional basis.
I've always seen it as a way to let people know and learn yourself that even on subjects where many people agree on, there are still individuals with other views.

MonaWare

Sewn to our side
Diamond City Insider
Coins
Coins
User Name Style Change
I dont think that the thread title shoukd protect posts from responses from other members. It is a forum, you should expect responsee to your opinions. Besides, theres nothing wrong with having to defend your opinion, especially if its unpopular.

Also, you shouldnt feel threatened just because someone disagrees with you. Its video games, its really not a topic to be sensitive about.

MonaWare

Sewn to our side
Diamond City Insider
Coins
Coins
User Name Style Change
Ocarina of Time is a better game than Majoras Mask.

Mm has a more unique story, but the game is not as solidly built as oot. There are even game breaking problems, like if you follow the sea horse to pinaccle rock and dont have enough bottles to get all the eggs, the seahorse will not guide you back a second time.

Its a creative game, and it has a cool atmosphere. Its a good game, but oot is the better game.

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Coins
User Name Style Change Postbit Highlight (Pre-Defined) Gold Necklace Gold Earrings User Title Style Change
I don't see the point in bring Mario 3D World to the Switch. It's not a bad game, but it's also the least interesting 3D Mario platformer outside of its immediate predecessor, and Odyssey just makes it obsolete.

I also didn't see the need to bring New Super Mario Bros U to the Switch either.