Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Beside Geo-Mod, I've always found Red Faction was Volition going "I can the Half-Life too"
I find Red Faction 1 more enjoyable than Half-Life 1 (better music and gunplay stand out the most, but I like the plot for RF better than HL1's as well), but I think Half Life 2 is a better game by far (in every regard). And also, for a brief period of time, FPSs went from "Doom Clones" to "Half-Life Clones" so that's not at all unusual-- Red Faction and Deus Ex are the only ones anyone cared about though.
And I'll take Capek over Breen any day-- mostly because you can't kill Breen :gaggravated:, but also because Capek's tied with Vakama and Jibolba for my favorite old man character ever

I have a ton of possibly unpopular opinions somewhere in my head, but I'll just list off the ones I can think of right off the bat. Sorry in advance for any rants or walls of text.

- I dislike the flanderization of Luigi's Personality since the original Luigi's Mansion. Of course, I like how the game itself added to his character, showing us that he was able to overcome a phobia through the love for his brother, and that he can be a hero in his own right. Despite being in a mansion full of his fears, he was even able to put on a brave face to comfort the terrified Toads he encountered along the way. It gave us a character who was kind, gentle, and faced his fears head on rather than running away. Since then, Nintendo has had a habit of portraying Luigi is shy, quiet, and practically terrified of his own shadow, when he was practically the exact opposite in Luigi's Mansion. Of course, he's not like this in every game he's appeared in, but it comes up quite frequently. I mean if I had to enter a mansion full of hostile ghosts that want to trap me in a painting to save my brother (who is, at this point, considered an untouchable hero who has yet to be defeated), alone and armed with little more than a flashlight and vacuum, I'm sure I'd be scared too.

-Pokemon became a really mediocre series after Gen 4. Not to say that I haven't enjoyed gens 5 & 6, but I didn't enjoy them on nearly the same level as I did the generations before it. At the time, the series was really firing on all cylinders, in terms of both main series and spinoff games. Pokemon Ranger, Mystery Dungeons, OG Pokemon Rumble, Battle Revolution, Ranch, Etc. HG&SS were so insanely packed full of content, and fun things to get into besides battling. We had a customizable safari zone for crying out loud, pokeathlon (where each pokemon had its own unique stats), the pokewalker, battle frontier (with wi-fi), the introduction of the GTS, Wi-fi plaza, bug catching contest, local & wi-fi minigames, and more. Since then it feels the series has gotten extremely watered down, and that there's less to do besides just trading and/or battling. To me, it feels like Gamefreak has developed some weird fetish for removing features since then. After Gen 4, we lost the safari zone, game centers, the ability to walk with pokemon, berry planting (minus OR&AS), day & night affecting wild pokemon rates, wi-fi plaza, and more. Some of those features like the safari zone were there from the first gen. And somehow we lost them. Not to mention that 10 flipping years ago, we had the battle frontier, which gave us all sorts of gimmicky and different battling modes, singles & doubles, and it even had wi-fi connectivity. Nowadays, we just have the battle tower (one of five different modes the Frontier offered) and it doesn't even let you play with friends over wi-fi for frick's sake. Why does a game 10 years older have more features and forms of connectivity? Not to mention we've gotten really small amounts of new pokemon in the last 2 gens, and they've done away with adding new evolutions to old pokemon with the exception of Sylveon. Now everyone just gets megas instead.

-Zelda: BoTW really suffered from a lack of enemy variety. I've seen many people argue both for and against BoTW's number of enemies vs. the number of enemies in previous 3d Zelda games, so I'm not sure if this qualifies as unpopular. In my opinion, the game suffered badly from it's lack of enemies. Sure, if you count every single type of enemy you can encounter, the number looks decent. But most of those enemies are simply variations of the same formula. Sure, the different tiers of Bokoblins, Moblins and Lizalfos had smarter AI as the game went on, but ultimately you were fighting what was essentially the same enemy. The guardians had different forms (broken, walking, flying, turret), but the fights are all inherently similar, with the main focus being parrying or avoiding the lasers. Each tier of shrine miniboss added a new attack, but once that attack was done, they would just repeat the same attacks their previous iterations would use. On top of that, the only actually regional enemy (not variety) I can think of is the Molduga. Otherwise, any other enemy could be found pretty much anywhere, regardless of what kind of environment you were in. Sure, there were ice, electric and fire varieties of the basic enemies but as far as original enemies go, Molduga was the only one. The dungeons all had the same types of enemies, in the form of flying skulls of either bokoblins, moblins or lizalfos.

I have a ton of possibly unpopular opinions somewhere in my head, but I'll just list off the ones I can think of right off the bat. Sorry in advance for any rants or walls of text.

-Pokemon became a really mediocre series after Gen 4. Not to say that I haven't enjoyed gens 5 & 6, but I didn't enjoy them on nearly the same level as I did the generations before it. At the time, the series was really firing on all cylinders, in terms of both main series and spinoff games. Pokemon Ranger, Mystery Dungeons, OG Pokemon Rumble, Battle Revolution, Ranch, Etc. HG&SS were so insanely packed full of content, and fun things to get into besides battling. We had a customizable safari zone for crying out loud, pokeathlon (where each pokemon had its own unique stats), the pokewalker, battle frontier (with wi-fi), the introduction of the GTS, Wi-fi plaza, bug catching contest, local & wi-fi minigames, and more. Since then it feels the series has gotten extremely watered down, and that there's less to do besides just trading and/or battling. To me, it feels like Gamefreak has developed some weird fetish for removing features since then. After Gen 4, we lost the safari zone, game centers, the ability to walk with pokemon, berry planting (minus OR&AS), day & night affecting wild pokemon rates, wi-fi plaza, and more. Some of those features like the safari zone were there from the first gen. And somehow we lost them. Not to mention that 10 flipping years ago, we had the battle frontier, which gave us all sorts of gimmicky and different battling modes, singles & doubles, and it even had wi-fi connectivity. Nowadays, we just have the battle tower (one of five different modes the Frontier offered) and it doesn't even let you play with friends over wi-fi for frick's sake. Why does a game 10 years older have more features and forms of connectivity? Not to mention we've gotten really small amounts of new pokemon in the last 2 gens, and they've done away with adding new evolutions to old pokemon with the exception of Sylveon. Now everyone just gets megas instead.
In Gen 6 you could share O-Powers, custom videos, voice chat or text, and XY did have berry planting, and technically a more useful Safari (Friend Safari). In USUM you can share custom photos and you can choose custom phrases sort of like in Gens 3-5. And yeah there is a lot of stuff taken out and the multi battles kick people off more than they used to but it still takes a lot of effort to add those modes and decide which ones are most popular. Granted I could think of a few more features I'd like in like a Lottery to win Pokémon instead of items (but that is kinda like Wonder Trade). However I like that there is new metas being made like the Let's Go Cup and VGC2019 meta that allows two legendaries per team which is great because they are all available now depending on the title you choose or what event mons you get from retailers. I think it's unbalanced because there is a limited amount of types that legendaries have making Dialga and the Primals OP but I'm curious to see how Megas even the field. Imo since megas were added they made the game so unfair to people who don't want to use megas because your screwed. I don't get why singles is the main field of play because VGC is in Doubles format and that is more complex and it made me hate how their definition of making the games harder is to have double battles with wild Pokémon when they have synergy and you don't because you can only use one Pokémon. I beat the trials but it doesn't seem like Pokémon unless you have another ally on your side. Imo I did get tired of the frontier mainly because then it was harder to prepare Pokémon or you had to use rentals, but they did both for USUM in case you were a beginner. Oh yeah I'm glad contests are gone and Mantine Surf replaced it.

* I'm like this for the most part, but I really like Red Faction-- the original from 2001. It's got some great techno tracks that work as a time capsule for the music at the time, the weapons themselves are all memorable, in part due to the fuckin' kickass sound design for them ((Red Faction Weapon SFX - Soundboard.com (a soundboard I made a few years ago))). The story is pretty interesting too-- mining corporation on Mars lures in workers and then essentially slave drives them because there's no one to keep an eye on them-- violence, aggression, and a mysterious plague. Revolution ensues, mercenaries get brought in, Axel Capek is there with his fuckin' yes-tastic evil old man voice, it's great. A lot of aspects from it would be seen in later FPS's, but at that time everything was new and cool.
* Ehhhh, I don't necessarily believe that. How would you implement these notes in a way that wouldn't be out of the consumer's way to access-- people are lazy and easily confused. But for the most part, I agree that translations should be translations and nothing more (unless it's like that joke in Earthbound where the guy accidentally uses one katakana instead of another and it's a joke on how they look exactly the fucking same).
* Not necessarily: there are movies out there, where certain things that were just fine then are kind of ehhhh. Holiday Inn uses blackface for the song used on Abraham Lincoln's birthday-- totally harmless, mind you, as it was only used for Bing and Linda Mason (because surprise surprise they're white), and the band was composed of actual black folks, but even still some people are like what the fuck. I myself was like that toward the very end of Blade Runner where Decker rather violently prevents Rachel from leaving that apartment. I was like "woah! where did this come from?!" but at the time I'm sure it didn't seem so questionable.
Now, this doesn't draw a direct parallel with games, mind you, but the general notion is the same-- as new concepts are brought into being and accepted, they're stuck onto the existing gobstopper, further polishing it up and working out more kinks. Games that quote-unquote "don't age well" are said to be as such because unlike games that do age well, they tend to include earlier, clunkier, unfinished versions of concepts that we see today. With these newer versions to draw comparisons to, suddenly the predecessor's version doesn't seem so great anymore.
The reason why Super Mario World is still so good even after 30 years, yet Mario 1 gets shittier and shittier with each passing year, is because one of them was the Mark IV, the finished product, built with six straight years of knowledge, of fine-tuning and perfecting and improving, while the other was the junky prototype that did the best it could with its limited knowledge.
* Compare New Super Mario Bros. to New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I love the former and hate the latter. Logic dictates that I should like them the same, since they're effectively the same game, but the thing is, there's this gap between having enough content to truly be its own thing and just being a port, and inside this gap, there's just nothing but pure and utter tripe. "Oh FUCK, one new power-up?! Holy SHIT this is REVOLUTIONARY"
* How true.
* On paper, sure. Non-linearity is a desirable trait in a game if it's done well. You play Skyrim, you're in this huge-ass world and you're like "well what in God's name." because it's non-linear like that. But I don't like Bethesda games because they're too open. It feels like if I were to go outside, with a supposed goal in mind but really I'm just kinda there.
* Again, if it's handled well. NSMB2's co-op sucks ass solely because of that stupid screen-share garbo. You had a two-screen system in the first one, just use that! Lego games' co-op was also terrible until split-screen unless you and your friend share a hivemind.
I'd argue, but then I realised it's a bit strange to reply to a post by someone who likely won't ever be back.

I'd rather Fire Emblem had died FE12 like it was about to, instead of giving us the unaesthetic vomit known as Awakening and an entire new generation of fans reeled in by 2010s otakubait.

It's really a shame the Fire Emblem games I despise most (the new ones) are the ones that raked in the most profit, because that means Nintendo and IntSys are going to keep making shit like that because that's what most of those brain-dead fans eat up.

I never liked any of the fire emblem games and the fans made it even worse for me. Everyone goes crazy about how good the series is but I find the core gameplay to be very boring and too repetitive. Further, the art...Generic anime characters that are sexy to 13 year olds and manchildren...bleh

- I dislike the flanderization of Luigi's Personality since the original Luigi's Mansion. Of course, I like how the game itself added to his character, showing us that he was able to overcome a phobia through the love for his brother, and that he can be a hero in his own right. Despite being in a mansion full of his fears, he was even able to put on a brave face to comfort the terrified Toads he encountered along the way. It gave us a character who was kind, gentle, and faced his fears head on rather than running away. Since then, Nintendo has had a habit of portraying Luigi is shy, quiet, and practically terrified of his own shadow, when he was practically the exact opposite in Luigi's Mansion. Of course, he's not like this in every game he's appeared in, but it comes up quite frequently. I mean if I had to enter a mansion full of hostile ghosts that want to trap me in a painting to save my brother (who is, at this point, considered an untouchable hero who has yet to be defeated), alone and armed with little more than a flashlight and vacuum, I'm sure I'd be scared too.

-Zelda: BoTW really suffered from a lack of enemy variety. I've seen many people argue both for and against BoTW's number of enemies vs. the number of enemies in previous 3d Zelda games, so I'm not sure if this qualifies as unpopular. In my opinion, the game suffered badly from it's lack of enemies. Sure, if you count every single type of enemy you can encounter, the number looks decent. But most of those enemies are simply variations of the same formula. Sure, the different tiers of Bokoblins, Moblins and Lizalfos had smarter AI as the game went on, but ultimately you were fighting what was essentially the same enemy. The guardians had different forms (broken, walking, flying, turret), but the fights are all inherently similar, with the main focus being parrying or avoiding the lasers. Each tier of shrine miniboss added a new attack, but once that attack was done, they would just repeat the same attacks their previous iterations would use. On top of that, the only actually regional enemy (not variety) I can think of is the Molduga. Otherwise, any other enemy could be found pretty much anywhere, regardless of what kind of environment you were in. Sure, there were ice, electric and fire varieties of the basic enemies but as far as original enemies go, Molduga was the only one. The dungeons all had the same types of enemies, in the form of flying skulls of either bokoblins, moblins or lizalfos.

The point about Breath of the Wild's enemy variety isn't really an unpopular opinion. It genuinely does lack in enemy types, and one of the disappointing aspects about the DLC was how it never fixed this.

That said, I think the physics engine and world made up for a fair few of its problems, and that it's likely the enemy stuff is going to be fixed in the follow up (or what not).

-Classic Castlevania is supperior to IGAvanias in every way

-I despise Splatoons Soundtrack

-Kirby had no good game since Kirby 64

-Mega Man and Bass is the best Mega Man game

Also yes first post from me Hi.

-Kirby had no good game since Kirby 64

Definitely don't agree with this. (But this is a thread for unpopular video game opinions after all, so who cares?)
Kirby has had quite a few solid games since then. I really like Nightmare in Dreamland (though it's actually a remake), The Amazing Mirror, and Squeak Squad. However, after watching a trailer on my 3DS in honour of Kirby's 25th anniversary, I must confess that I miss the old Kirby games. The series is definitely not what it used to be.

One time I got controller-throwing levels of frustrated with Crash Bandicoot 2 (gettin all tha gems niggaaaaaa-- I don't think I was on Cold Hard Crash atm, but I could be wrong), and switched over to Dark Souls because it was less assblastingly difficult. That's probably nowhere near as uncommon an opinion as I think (Dark Souls being less obnoxious than Crash 2 with its difficulty), but that could have a lot to do with Dark Souls's calming atmosphere, or the fact that I'm actually patient when I play. Being able to take it slow without the ADD kicking in is always a strange yet welcome phenomenon to experience.

tl;dr: Dark Souls is less anger-inducing than Crash 2, dunno if this is unpopular. Maybe it has to do with Crash being high-octane so you feel lowkey pressured (whereas DaS is in an era where octane didn't even exist kekek).

Piranha Plant is the greatest inclusion in all of Super Smash Bros, because it fully embraces the series' true colors.

Beneath the pretentious pseudo-epicness, that has come up quite a bit since Brawl, Smash isn't some kind of sacred Olymp of gaming, that validates a character's place in the industry (and yes, people actually say that), it's a silly Nintendo crossover, that get's a lot of big third party characters, because it sells.

Characters like Piranha Plant, R.O.B and Mr. Game & Watch are great examples of Sakurai and his crew doing their own thing and having fun. A lot of people consider these characters weird or ''unworthy'', but to me they are among the best inclusions every single time, since they are so creative and so different from everything people expect.

The Ice Climbers are another good example, they are not Nintendo icons and barely anyone even likes their home game. They break every single rule that fans apply for a character to be added and I couldn't be happier to have them, because I love how they are portrayed and how they play.

There's plenty characters that I'd like to have (still hoping for Rex), but I always gladly welcome characters like the above, because they are examples of Smash having fun with Nintendo's history and not taking itself seriously as some kind of top elite squad and the series is all the better with them in it.

Mega Man 7 is one of the better megaman games. Having to do 4 robot masters at a time makes for a smoother difficulty transition to Wily castle since you don't have 8 relatively easier levels then end game levels. The music is some of my favorite in classic megaman. And I really like that you can search the levels for power ups or buy them I'm Auto's shop for a high price. They make you super storng but since you don't need them power ups see. To cater to different play styles so I think it's also a good jumping in point in the series

Back