Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Beneath the pretentious pseudo-epicness, that has come up quite a bit since Brawl, Smash isn't some kind of sacred Olymp of gaming, that validates a character's place in the industry

Piggybacking from your thoughts a little, I think people Really overstate how effective Smash Bros. actually is as advertisement and that it is its divine mission to make games like Rhythm Heaven sell millions (which is something I'm seeing a lot thanks to the salt surrounding Ultimates DLC)

-Fire Emblem couldn't break a million worldwide and found itself dangerously close to being cancelled *after* getting a lot of love in Brawl until it got a new game with higher production values, waifus and newb-friendly mechanics completely independant of smahs. I also don't buy the "they brought the games to the west because of how popular Marth and Roy were" story when fellow Japan-only TBT game Nintendo Wars made the jump *without* smash. More likely, they wanted to replicate Advance War's modest success.

-Captain Falcon may be epic meme man but that sure didn't help his series.

-Being in smash didn't prevent Jigglypuff from becoming irrelevant in the game and anime for a long time

-Bayonetta 2 and its switch port didn't seem to get any notable sales boost from her inclusion in the game.

And that's just talking about playable characters. "Representation" through things like items and stages evidently did nothing for the success of games like Elektroplankton and Sin & Punishment 2. Mother seems like the only series that truly got a new fans from Smash and I have a feeling it would've been one of those games that would've seen a rediscovery thanks to emulation anyway.

People like to shit on the Werehog battle theme, but honestly, the underwater Yellow Wisp theme far worse.

The Werehog theme plays too often, but it's a servicable melody, the Yellow Wisp theme is a grating second-long loop that you will likely hear for most of the levels it plays in, making even the only parts with interesting level designs in the game insufferable.

Sonic Colors is just shit in general.

People like to shit on the Werehog battle theme, but honestly, the underwater Yellow Wisp theme far worse.

The Werehog theme plays too often, but it's a servicable melody, the Yellow Wisp theme is a grating second-long loop that you will likely hear for most of the levels it plays in, making even the only parts with interesting level designs in the game insufferable.

Sonic Colors is just shit in general.
The DS Sonic Colors is actually a decent game, though. I always get bored of the Wii version by the time I get to Sweet Mountain, but I've actually gotten all the Chaos Emeralds and played all the secret levels 'n shit in the DS version. At first I thought because you brought up the Werehog that this was the "which series featured in Smash have you tried" thread, because I mentioned Sonic Unleashed and 06 were ironically two of my favorite titles. I think the reason why 06 is so hated is because people buy into the hype too much, and practically try to make it fuck up. If you take the glitches with a grain of salt and go at your own pace, it's surprisingly relaxing, a great 'podcast game,' so to speak, and I'm kind of sad that I can't ever experience it for the first time again.
That I go at my own pace is probably another reason why I don't dislike the Werehog stages-- in fact, I like them a good amount! Sure, there could've been more main daytime stages, but to be honest, while I like the feeling of going fast, the Day stages are too much about trial and error for my liking. You can't ever be caught with your non-existent pants down in the Werehog stages, and I can appreciate that-- I do appreciate that. Plus, the Night stages have a much larger amount of dope tunes. ...Unfortunately, that's the reason why I personally dislike how often I'll suddenly hear BWEHH DOH BWEHHHHH DOHHHHH, WEEEEEEH, EEHHHH!!!! I've never actually had a problem with the Werehog Brawl theme.
Favorite Nighttime Stage themes? My favorites are Skyscraper Scamper, Jungle Joyride (
love the Hang drums there; C.. G.. Eb.. G~), Cool Edge, and after those Dragon Road and Arid Sands. I do like the daytime themes for Windmill Isle and Dragon Road, though, and Skyscraper Scamper there as well.

the Yellow Wisp theme is a grating second-long loop that you will likely hear for most of the levels it plays in, making even the only parts with interesting level designs in the game insufferable.
:dabs::dabs::dabs:

Attachments

• UnderWAAter Drill_2.mp3
    633.9 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
I don't like to play Gamecube games at 60 Hz at all. Many people, and also most instruction booklets say that it contributes to a better playing experience, but I hardly think so. I only use 60 Hertz when I play with friends, as they insist on it, but other than that, I always use 50 Hz. The whole thing of having a clearer and more stable screen doesn't mean a thing to me, it only feels strange and awkward to me. But since electric systems in Europe run at 50 Hz, most TV's, especially the older ones aren't really made for 60 Hz anyway, so I think that explains a lot.

Call of Duty is massively overhated. I don't care for the franchise much ever since they stopped doing WWII games but I wouldn't go around calling it a cancer or the worst game series ever.

I kinda miss video games not having voice acting. I liked being able to imagine characters' voices in my head.
I think this can said of other elements beyond voice acting as well. 99% of why I love older games especially from the Famicom era is that they're so abstract and vague that you kinda have to fill in the details yourself. You have to use your imagination. Makes me feel like a kid again, in a way that goes beyond muh nostalgia

Call of Duty is massively overhated. I don't care for the franchise much ever since they stopped doing WWII games but I wouldn't go around calling it a cancer or the worst game series ever.

I'll go many steps further and say old Infinity Ward/Respawn really should be hailed as all-time great game designers more than they are now. You don't upend one of the busiest genre in gaming several times over if you don't have talent.

1 - Super Monkey Ball Adventure is a great game. Just as amazing as Monkey Ball 2.

2 - Celeste just exists to feed off of nostalgia with its cheap gameplay and pixel art. TL;DR I really don't like it.

3 - Nuts and Bolts is really really fun to me. Not as good as the original two, but still great. Saying it's a good game but "not a good Banjo game" is ridiculous because if it's not a "good Banjo game" but it's a good game, then what is it?

3 - Nuts and Bolts is really really fun to me. Not as good as the original two, but still great. Saying it's a good game but "not a good Banjo game" is ridiculous because if it's not a "good Banjo game" but it's a good game, then what is it?
I mean it's not that weird a concept that for sequels or even spin offs, people have certain expectations as to what a new game should be like. People are usually more lenient with spin offs than main entries. If Nuts & Bolts was touted as a spin off people would probably be less harsh to it(at least up until they realized they weren't getting another main entry).

I mean it's not that weird a concept that for sequels or even spin offs, people have certain expectations as to what a new game should be like. People are usually more lenient with spin offs than main entries. If Nuts & Bolts was touted as a spin off people would probably be less harsh to it(at least up until they realized they weren't getting another main entry).
My point still stands. People should expect change.

My point still stands. People should expect change.
Sure, change is to be expected. Super Mario World to Super Mario 64 is a pretty stark change but they are still grounded in platforming. Going from a pure platformer to a vehicle building game is too different.

A game can be "good" but also not be what people want out of a series. The two are not mutually exclusive. It's also probably easier to understand if you take into consideration the almost decade long gap between Banjo Tooie and Nuts and Bolts. Wait 8 years for a proper new Banjo game and then you get something that only sort of resembles Banjo on the surface and you're likely not going to be too happy.

Sure, change is to be expected. Super Mario World to Super Mario 64 is a pretty stark change but they are still grounded in platforming. Going from a pure platformer to a vehicle building game is too different.

A game can be "good" but also not be what people want out of a series. The two are not mutually exclusive. It's also probably easier to understand if you take into consideration the almost decade long gap between Banjo Tooie and Nuts and Bolts. Wait 8 years for a proper new Banjo game and then you get something that only sort of resembles Banjo on the surface and you're likely not going to be too happy.
Well this is Unpopular Video Game OPINIONS so why are we debating the obvious?

• Agree
Reactions: 607
I kinda miss video games not having voice acting. I liked being able to imagine characters' voices in my head.

I agree with this, and also with games requiring more imagination post.

Thats one thing that I actually had alot of fun with skyrim with, I totally created my own character in my head, gave her her own story and motivation, even a reasom why she used a battle axe, haha. I had a ton of fun with that.

I also enjoy how older games created with stricter limitations open up possibilities for your imagination. And I could also care less if a game has voice acting, Ive even turned off voice acting in some games.

what is this even supposed to mean
I think it's roughly supposed to mean that since the thread is about sharing unpopular opinions, you should consider twice before questioning someone or initiating a discussion, as since the opinions are supposed to be unpopular, the thread would consist of too much debate and disagreement otherwise.

I think it's roughly supposed to mean that since the thread is about sharing unpopular opinions, you should consider twice before questioning someone or initiating a discussion, as since the opinions are supposed to be unpopular, the thread would consist of too much debate and disagreement otherwise.
I mean this is still a forums, this is still a place for discussion. Otherwise, this is simply a list of unrelated opinions that no one might as well read if no one is going to discuss on at least an occasional basis.

that's what I figured

Still, why would you discourage conversation because opinions are just, like, opinions, man in a thread dedicated to sharing opinions on contentious subjects for the specific purpose of comparing and discussing
god forbid we challenge somebody's opinion and promote icky sticky ookie spooky discussion

I mean this is still a forums, this is still a place for discussion. Otherwise, this is simply a list of unrelated opinions that no one might as well read if no one is going to discuss on at least an occasional basis.
I've always seen it as a way to let people know and learn yourself that even on subjects where many people agree on, there are still individuals with other views.

Back