Whats a popular and beloved game or franchise that you couldn't get into?

TB100

What you see is what you get, just a guy...
Now we all have these games. The ones that critics adore and audiences love,
But when you bought it, you either couldn't get it or get into it. This thread is about those games.
The ones that everyone loves and adores but just couldn't give two craps about it.

I will put only two rules down just to prevent this thread from going downhill.
1 - No Flame Wars.
Now replys to comments are fine, hell you can even explain why your into it, but don't start to jump on them if they dislike something you do.
I get it, we all have franchises that we adore and will blindly follow to the very end. (For me that's Sonic)
But that's no excuse to jump on or attack someone's opinion just because they dislike something you love
Remember everyone has different opinions then you. so don't be surprised if someone despises something you adore.

2 - Explain Yourself.
Now don't just say Ehhhhhh This game suckz without explaining why.
Have valid reasons to hate a franchise or a game. And no, popularity is not a good reason to dislike something. (Even if you dislike it's fandom) Like here
Good example: I hate this game because it has certain elements that I don't like. (Like a universally regarded good platformer having floaty controls that you couldn't get into.) or it's just a genre i'm not into.
Bad example: I hate this game because it's popular or has a terrible fandom, thus it automatically sucks.
Now why popularity can ruin a game for some people, it's not a good reason
to hate that game. so just give out valid reasons to why you couldn't get into something.
(Oh yeah and don't use terms like Overrated, what's overrated or not is completely subjective.
So that's also a invalid reason to not get into something.)
Now let me start

Super Smash Bros.
smash-bros-cast.png

Now i'm betting some of you are foaming in your mouths. TB100 you couldn't get into THE Super Smash Bros. The ultimate crossover where some of the most beloved Characters of gaming come together and have a massive brawl out to see which one prevails to the end. well no not really, now i don't hate it
in fact i'll give it credit to making less known franchises more popular (Fire Emblem, Mother, Kid Icarus, Etc) But i don't know, it's just everytime i try to play it, i just couldn't get into it. now if theres something you got to know about me, is that i'm not that big into fighting games in general. Never got into Street Fighter or Tekken or Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur. i could never get the combo's right & everytime i would play a match, i would lose. now with Super Smash Bros., it's definitely more accesible then most
fighting games. & i can definitely win matches if i'm good. but that's the thing, I'm not that skilled of a player. i never got into the combos or the various tiers or the various events centered around it. hell when nintendo had their smash tourament a couple of years ago, i watched maybe an hour before i decided to left and do other things. because there's something about smash that never really appealed to me.
Maybe it's just like i said in before, i'm not into fighting games in general & thus smash kinda goes with that whole category, i don't know & maybe i never will. Now i still come back to the Wii U version every now & then and do a few matches before i switch to a different game. Maybe It's just Super Smash Bros isn't my type of game. if you get into the combos, the tiers, the specific weights to each character and all that kind of stuff, that's cool, I'm just not into that.

Now tell me, What's a beloved game or game franchise that you either couldn't just get it, or get into
Hit it off in the comments below.

I have more down the road, i just don't want to make this too long, so i'll probably post more later.

(The Music is Incredible though.)

Last edited:
Now we all have these games. The ones that critics adore and audiences love,
But when you bought it, you either couldn't get it or get into it. This thread is about those games.
The ones that everyone loves and adores but just couldn't give two craps about it.

I will put only two rules down just to prevent this thread from going downhill.
1 - No Flame Wars.
Now replys to comments are fine, hell you can even explain why your into it, but don't start to jump on them if they dislike something you do.
I get it, we all have franchises that we adore and will blindly follow to the very end. (For me that's Sonic)
But that's no excuse to jump on or attack someone's opinion just because they dislike something you love
Remember everyone has different opinions then you. so don't be surprised if someone despises something you adore.

2 - Explain Yourself.
Now don't just say Ehhhhhh This game suckz without explaining why.
Have valid reasons to hate a franchise or a game. And no, popularity is not a good reason to dislike something. (Even if you dislike it's fandom) Like here
Good example: I hate this game because it has certain elements that I don't like. (Like a universally regarded good platformer having floaty controls that you couldn't get into.) or it's just a genre i'm not into.
Bad example: I hate this game because it's popular or has a terrible fandom, thus it automatically sucks.
Now why popularity can ruin a game for some people, it's not a good reason
to hate that game. so just give out valid reasons to why you couldn't get into something.
(Oh yeah and don't use terms like Overrated, what's overrated or not is completely subjective.
So that's also a invalid reason to not get into something.)
Now let me start

Super Smash Bros.View attachment 2961
Now i'm betting some of you are foaming in your mouths. TB100 you couldn't get into THE Super Smash Bros. The ultimate crossover where some of the most beloved Characters of gaming come together and have a massive brawl out to see which one prevails to the end. well no not really, now i don't hate it
in fact i'll give it credit to making less known franchises more popular (Fire Emblem, Mother, Kid Icarus, Etc) But i don't know, it's just everytime i try to play it, i just couldn't get into it. now if theres something you got to know about me, is that i'm not that big into fighting games in general. Never got into Street Fighter or Tekken or Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur. i could never get the combo's right & everytime i would play a match, i would lose. now with Super Smash Bros., it's definitely more accesible then most
fighting games. & i can definitely win matches if i'm good. but that's the thing, I'm not that skilled of a player. i never got into the combos or the various tiers or the various events centered around it. hell when nintendo had their smash tourament a couple of years ago, i watched maybe an hour before i decided to left and do other things. because there's something about smash that never really appealed to me.
Maybe it's just like i said in before, i'm not into fighting games in general & thus smash kinda goes with that whole category, i don't know & maybe i never will. Now i still come back to the Wii U version every now & then and do a few matches before i switch to a different game. Maybe It's just Super Smash Bros isn't my type of game. if you get into the combos, the tiers, the specific weights to each character and all that kind of stuff, that's cool, I'm just not into that.

Now tell me, What's a beloved game or game franchise that you either couldn't just get it, or get into
Hit it off in the comments below.

I have more down the road, i just don't want to make this too long, so i'll probably post more later.

(The Music is Incredible though.)

Foaming at the mouth? Nah. I don't enjoy Smash Bros. In the past I've had many fun moments playing with friends and siblings, but those days are long behind me.

I don't think it lives up to its potential as an "ultimate" crossover, I see it as a product I would handle very differently if I were the big cheese running the show. I would make sure every relevant sector of Nintendo's fandom is treated with equal dignity, respect, and acknowledgement.

i think i have a stronger stance against smash than either of you guys. im not a fan of fighting games in general, though this game doesnt have the same characteristics as a normal fighting game. theres no button combos to my knowledge and the characters tend to be more on the move or on defense than a traditional fighting game, which i actually prefer. but theres one thing that bothers me, and in fact turns me off from a lot of multiplayer based games: there is a giant skill gap between skilled, competitive players and people just looking to let off some steam now and then. like, unless you treat this as not only a job, but a practiced art; expect to have your butt handed to you on an iron platter. these players take these things way too serious, and it almost ruins the whole rest of the game.
also, just to nitpick, the balancing is awful. frankly, nintendo does NOT need to be getting into this DLC crap everyone else is doing. and even minus that, i would be lying if i didnt say this game made me hate a couple of otherwise decent characters. LOOKING AT YOU DIDDY KONG AND SONIC.
and to be honest, id also be lying to say im not into this game. but the reason i got into this game without necessarily liking it is because i wanted to be competitive, i wanted to stand a chance. after realizing how hopeless that was, there was no point anymore.

lemme draw this to some other games. lets say theres a person barely getting into a first person shooter, barely got the hang of the controls, and they decide to test their skill online, where obviously some almost god like players had mastered practically every mechanic for weeks, months, or even years, and on top of that, you can buy or unlock better in game weapons, stats, perks, etc. i dont imagine the practiced player is gonna be blown away soon. except now add the badtalking, cursing, possibly high pitched squeals coming from the mics of the other players-
no, at that point, screw it. your time is better spent leaning to play an instrument, do art, cook, program. why invest so much time into what should be a form of self entertainment when you can learn a real world skill. theres no winners or losers, only self improvement.
i dont mean to knock down games, i love when i can spend a few hours invested in a good game and have fun with it. but if it gets so competitive that the only way you can enjoy it is to sacrifice your life to it in a pagan ritual, theres something wrong, there just a whole lotta nope tied in.

i would be lying if i didnt say this game made me hate a couple of otherwise decent characters. LOOKING AT YOU DIDDY KONG AND SONIC.

Now see, I really can't stand that. When this whole toxic Smash culture breeds a bad reputation for a classic Rare character like Diddy Kong, that turns me right off.
Before Smash, nobody had bad blood with Diddy, yet today I see idiotic videos damning him to hell?? He was my favourite Kong as a kid, along with classic Cranky Kong (not that tame, mellow imposter we see today).

I think competitive Smash does more harm than good to the hobby of video games. As you say, PJ, it absorbs your life, and I just hope those dedicated players don't one day have a massive epiphany that they've wasted years of precious life on a futile effort. Just put down the controller for a second, and look to the horizon. Will you look back on Smash as a worthy life commitment or accomplishment?

Last edited:
I like the SSMB games : p They were a fun way to bring Nintendo characters together in a fun game you can play with your friends, Ill always love the first two. I think people take it way too seriously though : p Im not into competitive gaming or whatever, for me games are just a fun way to spend time alone or with friends, if someone takes a game too seriously they ruin it for me, I want my games to be completely carefree and fun.

Oh but, Final Fantasy. I dunno, I cant get into these games. I even thought that Id enjoy FF7 if I played it, and I did for a bit but I got bored of it quickly.
I definitely hate the battle system it has, the active battle system or whatever its called. I can enjoy a standard turn based battle, and I can enjoy a real time battle. Im probly the least picky when it comes to rgp battle systems : p But that freaking active battle system, I do not enjoy having the enemy attack me while I sit and wait for my chance to heal my characters before they die. I do not enjoy the battle system.

Of course a person can argue "you can turn it off". I have other complaints though. I love JRPG's for their story line. I really like a big long story with characters and friendship and betrayal and all that cliche junk : p I remember playing FF7 for the first time. Ive always heard about its great story. Well when I played it, it was interesting for a bit, but after a while it just kinda felt like you were going forward just cuz : p I never felt like it was all that well written. I think LoZ: OoT had a story that panned out better than FF7's, haha : p To be fair, I did play FF7 after the 7th generation had come and gone, so Ive played alot of JRPG's since then. But, at the same time, I played Aidyn Chronicles for N64 when it was still modern, and I think it had a better drawn out story line than FF7 : p

There are alot of people who love the Final Fantasy series, and thats cool. But I just cant get into it : /

I think competitive Smash does more harm than good to the hobby of video games. As you say, PJ, it absorbs your life, and I just hope those dedicated players don't one day have a massive epiphany that they've wasted years of precious life on a futile effort. Just put down the controller for a second, and look to the horizon. Will you look back on Smash as a worthy life commitment or accomplishment?

That could be extended to... a lot of pursuits, inside and outside fo video gaming though.

If there's anything to make fun of, it's that Melee players are getting arthritis into their 20s. So much for Smash's controls being simpler lmao

Ok, so I think we can talk about pretty much any game or franchise, right?

Let me tell you, all the arguments you placed about Smash Bros, I agree a lot, and I used to love the Smash Bros. franchise, but this last one... I can't go back to it no matter what...

But I'm not here to talk about Smash, but about a franchise I would really love to get into, but I don't know why, I just can't...

Kirby!

Yes, Kirby, the one and only pink ball that sucks up enemies for power-ups!
Since the start of my channel, a lot of viewers asked for Kirby games, and I tried a few titles and had fun playing them, a lot! But I don't know why, I just can't automatically go and play a Kirby game... I never finished any title, besides the one on the Gameboy!
But then, what's wrong? Nothing... Really, the series is charming, fun to play, and quite challenging at times. I don't know exactly why I can't play them and finish them...
Some titles feel like Smash Bros., maybe that's why, and it's understandable, since the Kirby franchise was created by the same development team that created Smash Bros.
However, that's not an excuse, as many titles feel and play slightly different from one another.
I could never find the reason why, I just can't get into it! Reminds me of Yoshi's Wooly World, no matter how hard I try, I can't play the game! It's just one of those titles that don't click!
I honestly want to get around to play those games, seriously. Maybe I'll force myself to play, someday! I really want to...

...Yeah, have to agree with you there. I did a playthrough of The Crystal Shards many years ago and I just couldn't get into any others after that. I think the level design is just too repetitive for my tastes, but either way, they just don't "click" for me.

That hasn't stopped me from loving Dedede, though. He's still my Smash main.

EDIT: And it has good music, too!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, can you please give context to this, the reason i put those rules up to begin with
was to prevent a potential flame war or a downfall which i don't think any of us would want, thank you. (If it was a joke though, then i'm sorry for being a Party Pooper.)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, can you please give context to this, the reason i put those rules up to begin with
was to prevent a potential flame war or a downfall which i don't think any of us would want, thank you. (If it was a joke though, then i'm sorry for being a Party Pooper.)

Of course! Don't worry, this is usual fun! xD

That could be extended to... a lot of pursuits, inside and outside fo video gaming though.

I agree 100%. I just think if they throw all their eggs in the Smash Bros basket, they'll miss out on so many other great games, activities, etc. And they might really regret it someday.
Smash is not a sport profession. You're not exactly getting awards or historical acknowledgement for your efforts, so what will you have to show for it years from now, apart from a pile of wrecked controllers and crippled hands? Life is short and there are so many wonderful games to savour like fine wine.

Last edited:
To be fair, you could say that about most sports and activities enjoyed at a high enough level.

The worlds best cheese roller isn't likely gonna get awards or historical acknowledgement either!

I was actually in an official Nintendo tournament with Melee, back in 2004. The Nintendo Super Challenge. I got into the finals, but my high school had a camp, so I couldn't go! *Cries*

What fuels my feelings on this matter are the people I've encountered. My little bro used to be into the whole Smash mastery scene, and I've seen some really nasty things. When I did find a nice bloke, I felt sorry for them. Every day they were only motivated to get better at this one video game, yet they would probably never get to enter an official live tournament like I did. It was certainly an eye-opener for me.

In the end, my brother quit Smash and joined the army. Now we only have one GameCube controller with a decent joystick (my Club Nintendo Wario one).

tumblr_lxndfqnmMH1rn6yvio1_500.jpg

Last edited:
I understand what Angler is saying, I think. Making a game into a sporting profession. I think it kinda ruins games, too. Games are a fun hobby, and theyre pretty diverse, so the best way to enjoy them is to be diverse with them as well. I try to enjoy all kinds of games if I can.

Oh but, for those who do like competitive smash (King Hehehe), if someone actually enjoys the event, more power to them : p This is just my own personal feelings about games, I dont like have some grudge against those who do enjoy gaming this way : p

Back