Whats a popular and beloved game or franchise that you couldn't get into?

You know talking about smash is cool and all, but that's not supposed to be the focus here.
So can we try and focus on the main topic here.

Thank You

Metroid.
I like Samus and I think that Metroid has an interesting universe and characters but the gameplay does nothing for me.

Zelda 1
I find this game to be too hard, and it's way too easy to get lost. I had to use a online guide to find the second dungeon. I can't believe that some people want the series to go back the Zelda 1 gameplay style. Which makes me kind of nervous about "Breath of the Wild"

I agree with @BlueJackG on Kirby. There's something about the series that does not engage me.

I find the gameplay too floaty. It's not sharp or dynamic enough. Same with the level design - they put in all those spike pits, ladders, ground enemies/obstacles, yet you can just float safely over most of it, making the layouts feel useless and lack purpose. The art style is also too basic and cutesy-poo for my liking. I enjoyed the early games on GB and NES a lot more.

Kid Icarus, I wanna get into it and the characters really intrest me but i don't enjoy the gameplay of either the old nor new ones.
I love pretty much everything about from music to characters but the gameplay doesn't do it for me.

ahh! no, i want to address this, but i dont want to be a jerk and break the rules.
Metroid.
I like Samus and I think that Metroid has an interesting universe and characters but the gameplay does nothing for me.

Zelda 1
I find this game to be too hard, and it's way too easy to get lost. I had to use a online guide to find the second dungeon. I can't believe that some people want the series to go back the Zelda 1 gameplay style. Which makes me kind of nervous about "Breath of the Wild"
these games are surprisingly similar in terms of basic concept; you have to explore a vast map with very little to no help in terms of guidance, collecting items to help progress further and eventually defeat the end boss. the thing with games is that they either hold your hand as if your going to run away and get kidnapped the minute it lets go (with most linear games), or it just drops you into the jungle and tootles off (with non linear games). the first zelda and metroid is a few of my favorite games, and ill admit that its really hard to navigate without a guide. i know it was revolutionary for the time, but why do some modern nonlinear games still insist on just abandoning you in the middle of scenic nowhere, when at least a metaphorical (or literal) map and compass would make the game much more enjoyable. still, i suppose id rather not do with the hand holding.

Kid Icarus, I wanna get into it and the characters really intrest me but i don't enjoy the gameplay of either the old nor new ones.
I love pretty much everything about from music to characters but the gameplay doesn't do it for me.
lol, the old kid icarus games is one of those games that i wanted to enjoy, but the game itself didnt want me to like it.
to keep it short, i really enjoyed the new one, though i can see how someone could dislike or not want to invest themselves in it.

lol, the old kid icarus games is one of those games that i wanted to enjoy, but the game itself didnt want me to like it.
to keep it short, i really enjoyed the new one, though i can see how someone could dislike or not want to invest themselves in it.

Oh, yeah, to me, the new Kid Icarus is great, but it suffers from the same problem as most Kirby games I talked about, which is the Smash Bros dev team factor. They feel too similar... I think I know what it might be, now! The gameplay is rough and too fast! That's it! I'd prefer a smoother and more natural gameplay! I think I found one of the problems why I can't get into those game...

Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters will always be my Kid Icarus game. I'm always sad that it never gets mentioned or referenced in any way.
Even WarioWare Twisted! denies its existence. 9-Volt says "This is the closest thing you'll ever get to a sequel. Har har". Well it HAD a sequel, boyo, on Game Boy! :mad:
It used the Metroid II engine, just like Kid Icarus 1 used the Metroid 1 engine on NES. Myths and Monsters improved on the NES game in every way, just like Metroid II improved on Metroid 1 in every way.

Kid_Icarus_OM%26M_boxart.png

Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters will always be my Kid Icarus game. I'm always sad that it never gets mentioned or referenced in any way.
Even WarioWare Twisted! denies its existence. 9-Volt says "This is the closest thing you'll ever get to a sequel. Har har". Well it HAD a sequel, boyo, on Game Boy! :mad:
It used the Metroid II engine, just like Kid Icarus 1 used the Metroid 1 engine on NES. Myths and Monsters improved on the NES game in every way, just like Metroid II improved on Metroid 1 in every way.

Yes, it's so underrated and forgotten! I can't get into the first game, but the Gameboy versions of both series are incredibly good for the lack of credit they get!

give the kid some slack would you.
it was not very well known even back when it first came out and it never even went to japan until years later when it came to the 3DS virtual console. So it's fair to assume
That he simply didn't know there was a sequel. (Hell I forgot this game existed until just now.)

it was not very well known even back when it first came out and it never even went to japan until years later when it came to the 3DS virtual console. So it's fair to assume
That he simply didn't know there was a sequel. (Hell I forgot this game existed until just now.)

Not to drag this on, but Myths and Monsters was sold and promoted on Game Boy posters all throughout the 90's. Maybe it was just more succesful in Australia and Europe. I know the Japanese didn't get it back in the day, but it was still created by Nintendo R&D1, who also made WarioWare Twisted.
That's pretty sloppy treatment of your own legacy, since Myths and Monsters was produced under the studio's legendary manager, Gunpei Yokoi.

Yeah, that's a shame. The Shantae series also suffered from being forgotten or ignored. Some had a poor advertisment, and people never heard of them.

i guess ill have to take "of myths and monsters" on a second test drive.

Yes, definitely! It's hard, though, so hang on tight! xD

Super Mario 64.

I tried it on the DS, it was too hard for me, then I sold the game, bought it again, tried again, and still too hard and unappealing for me.

Oh... I guess someone within Nintendo hated it then.
^_^ my bad, but yeah that was a shame.

In the late 90's Nintendo re-released Myths and Monsters, along with other GB titles that sold well, like Wario Land, Metroid II, Donkey Kong '94, DK Land etc.
But after the Game Boy died... it's like they never existed! Notice how the Game Boy gets NO recognition today. Count how many tributes there are for Mario Land, Wario Land, Metroid II, Mole Mania etc. Nothing. All you see is NES, SNES and N64. This is why nobody talks about the GB library and these classic titles.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. o_O

Last edited:
Time for a serious post from ya boi.

I can't get into most fighting games that fit the SF2 mold. I can get into every other aspect of the games but the actual gameplay just doesn't really appeal to me. Don't like memorizing combos. On a final note I still would like to try to play with an arcade stick.

In the late 90's Nintendo re-released Myths and Monsters, along with other GB titles that sold well, like Wario Land, Metroid II, Donkey Kong '94, DK Land etc.
But after the Game Boy died... it's like they never existed! Notice how the Game Boy gets NO recognition today. Count how many tributes there are for Mario Land, Wario Land, Metroid II, Mole Mania etc. Nothing. All you see is NES, SNES and N64. This is why nobody talks about the GB library and these classic titles.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. o_O
yeah, until the virtual console editions came out, there was no justice being done for the B/W game boy. metroid 2 wasnt the best game in the series, but i still enjoyed it from beginning to end. super mario land was just like classic mario, except on the go in my opinion. its a bit of a shame that it didnt get its time to shine when it first came out, but at the least, theres the virtual console releases out so people can discover it now.

yeah, until the virtual console editions came out, there was no justice being done for the B/W game boy. metroid 2 wasnt the best game in the series, but i still enjoyed it from beginning to end. super mario land was just like classic mario, except on the go in my opinion. its a bit of a shame that it didnt get its time to shine when it first came out, but at the least, theres the virtual console releases out so people can discover it now.

I was referring to tributes, references and homages. The Game Boy library is completely ignored, except for Pokemon. Anyway, I shouldn't drag this out any longer.

Back