Which Wario Land games have aged the best/worst?

Way i see it, collecting stuff in WL is the name of the game. You are encouraged to complete the game for endings. Mario Odyssey rewards you for crossing off every moon on the list but if you just wanna see everything you can buy moons so it accommodates two play styles. BotW is abut do as much as you want before fighting Ganon and its open nature accommodates completionists, speed runners, casuals. each play style is fulfilling. I always felt like going level to level in WL without trying for the best ending is like doing it wrong.
@ShyGuyXXL @CM30

I mean... I personally always wanna get everything in games like these, but I won't blame anyone if they just wanna get to the end and don't really care about optional stuff.
As long as they don't complain that the game is too short or easy at the end.

That's like when people complain that Yoshi's Story is too easy without ever trying the 30-Melon Challenge.

How about a Let's Play of Wario Land 2 I saw where the LPer got to Syrup Castle, beat Captain Syrup and then considered the game done at that point.

Yeah, that's about 50% of the game there.

As a kid i didnt realize Wario had a groundpound in 2 for a couple weeks.
Isn't it impossible to beat the first level without using a ground pound?

Personally, I don't get this 'aging' thing. A game that doesn't utilise multi-player, online events, DLC, or free updates doesn't change through the years.

Having taken a look at the level maps on Mario Universe, it appears Wario doesn't need the Ground Pound until "Drop The Anchor!!"
Ah, you're right. In my mind you needed to use a ground pound here.
uBXN8g8.jpg

(it was really hard to take that picture :$)

Personally, I don't get this 'aging' thing. A game that doesn't utilise multi-player, online events, DLC, or free updates doesn't change through the years.

The game doesn't change, but the world around it does.

As games evolve, we get used to different standards. So for example, Ocarina of Time has a very low framerate. That's a product of the time and may not have been so noticable back in the day, but now that we're all used to 3D games running buttery smooth, Ocarina seems to run very sluggish. So that particular aspect hasn't aged well.
However, other aspects, like the music for example, still hold up just as well.

Another example would be the graphics of Donkey Kong Country. Back in the day, the smooth animations and very 3D looking sprites were impressive. But now that screens have gotten sharper and bigger, you can see all the little imperfections and roughnesses that riddle almost every sprite. That's because they were generated, not hand-crafted.
A drawn sprite, like Mario's in Super Mario World doesn't have that problem, so it'll still look good in 20 years.

A lot of people (me sort of included) think Super Mario 64's visuals didn't age well. That's because most of the 3D models are just polygonal lumps mashed together with solid blocks of colors as textures. At the time nobody complained, because A) you couldn't see it that well on old monitors, and B) there was nothing else to compare it to.
But now, if you look at, say, Conker, in Conker's Bad Fur Day, (with his textures, a really good 3D model, different facial expressions, moving eyes, voice acting, complex animations for the time, etc.) Mario looks really primitive in comparison, even though both games are on the same system. That's not Mario 64's fault, it was pretty much the first game on the system after all, and Conker was one of the last, but that doesn't change that it didn't age well.

Anyway, getting back to Wario:
Wario Land 1 didn't age well, not because the game itself changed, but because our expectations of what a Wario game is like changed as the series continued. We got used to tight "physics" when Wario moves or interacts with enemies and objects. But that part just wasn't perfected yet.
If I had never played a Wario Land before and WL1 was my first, I might not have noticed it, but even the very next game, Wario Land 2 (yes, I ignored VB WL because no one even played that) ...made so many huge improvements to how everything moves. You can bounce enemies around, your jump feels natural, all the mechanics are tight.
So then when you go back you notice all the wonkiness.

It's like when people get old. They might think, they haven't changed, so why is everything so weird? Well, it's not them, it's the world around them that changed.

Oh and then there are some games that CAN'T age well because they were never good in the first place.
Like Ice Climbers. That game has always been shit.
Ice-Climbers-is-a-nutshell2.gif
Man, I hate that game.

The game doesn't change, but the world around it does.

As games evolve, we get used to different standards. So for example, Ocarina of Time has a very low framerate. That's a product of the time and may not have been so noticable back in the day, but now that we're all used to 3D games running buttery smooth, Ocarina seems to run very sluggish. So that particular aspect hasn't aged well.
However, other aspects, like the music for example, still hold up just as well.

Another example would be the graphics of Donkey Kong Country. Back in the day, the smooth animations and very 3D looking sprites were impressive. But now that screens have gotten sharper and bigger, you can see all the little imperfections and roughnesses that riddle almost every sprite. That's because they were generated, not hand-crafted.
A drawn sprite, like Mario's in Super Mario World doesn't have that problem, so it'll still look good in 20 years.

A lot of people (me sort of included) think Super Mario 64's visuals didn't age well. That's because most of the 3D models are just polygonal lumps mashed together with solid blocks of colors as textures. At the time nobody complained, because A) you couldn't see it that well on old monitors, and B) there was nothing else to compare it to.
But now, if you look at, say, Conker, in Conker's Bad Fur Day, (with his textures, a really good 3D model, different facial expressions, moving eyes, voice acting, complex animations for the time, etc.) Mario looks really primitive in comparison, even though both games are on the same system. That's not Mario 64's fault, it was pretty much the first game on the system after all, and Conker was one of the last, but that doesn't change that it didn't age well.

Anyway, getting back to Wario:
Wario Land 1 didn't age well, not because the game itself changed, but because our expectations of what a Wario game is like changed as the series continued. We got used to tight "physics" when Wario moves or interacts with enemies and objects. But that part just wasn't perfected yet.
If I had never played a Wario Land before and WL1 was my first, I might not have noticed it, but even the very next game, Wario Land 2 (yes, I ignored VB WL because no one even played that) ...made so many huge improvements to how everything moves. You can bounce enemies around, your jump feels natural, all the mechanics are tight.
So then when you go back you notice all the wonkiness.

It's like when people get old. They might think, they haven't changed, so why is everything so weird? Well, it's not them, it's the world around them that changed.
Thanks, good to know!
I know an example of something in old games not aging well, then: lives, and game overs. And hey, as a matter of fact, that's another way in which Wario Land 1 aged, but the others did not!
I get it! :SHappy:

lives, and game overs
Even worse:
Password systems.
Ever had to play a game that requires you to write down passwords every time you die instead of having a save feature?
And then having to type it in every time?
Yeah, that mechanic aged like stale mayo in the summer heat.

Even worse:
Password systems.
Ever had to play a game that requires you to write down passwords every time you die instead of having a save feature?
And then having to type it in every time?
Yeah, that mechanic aged like stale mayo in the summer heat.
Every time you die? I think you mean every time you beat something, right? If you die you need to continue from the previous password. :P
I don't mind password systems, if the passwords are manageable. It's nice that you can start from any password if you're playing on an emulator or on a new copy of the game, as passwords are almost always available online, and save files usually aren't.
It's only an issue to me in games like Finding Nemo: Continuing Adventures, where the passwords are, let me check... 10 characters long, with 32 characters to choose from for each. I haven't yet been able to beat that game, because both times I tried I lost or messed up the password near the end of the game. It's a shame too, because it's a very well made game! I guess Disney simply didn't allow a save battery, to make the game cheaper to produce.

Honestly, the only game I've played with passwords was Wario Blast. Which is probably lucky to be honest.

That said, you know what's worse?

No save system whatsoever. Yeah, they sure expected us to keep playing Super Mario Bros 2 and 3 without any way to save our progress, didn't they?

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Honestly, the only game I've played with passwords was Wario Blast. Which is probably lucky to be honest.

That said, you know what's worse?

No save system whatsoever. Yeah, they sure expected us to keep playing Super Mario Bros 2 and 3 without any way to save our progress, didn't they?
Yeah, I can't imagine beating Super Mario Bros. 3 for the first time, without a save system... And Super Mario Bros. 2 neither, indeed. It's nice how that game lets you start at the beginning of a world after a game over, instead of at the beginning of the game like Super Mario Bros., but if you have to complete it without turning off the console anyway, I'd certainly use warps. But I guess that's why World 9 is intended to be a fun extra: you're expected to use warps for beating world 8.

Super Mario Bros 3. is already a hard game, but I just can't figure out how they expected players to finish this game in one take. Even without getting any Game Overs, it takes around 2 1/2 hours to complete it, which is ridiculously long for a game without save features. Of course, you can use the Warp Whistle, but good luck trying to find that thing on your own without any hints. LoZ had a save mode and was released two years before, so why not Super Mario Bros. 3? :wargrr:

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Land 1 has definitely not stood up super well to the test of time. It’s still a good game overall, but it is certainly sluggish compared to the later entries.

Last edited:
Back