[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

All things have been writen down, everything has been tested, time to write my last words!
Also, believe it or not: there is actually also a pink color! It only appears in Object Set 91, and it is completely functional! Though Keys and Chests work as Silver ones when Pink is turned on.

All things have been writen down, everything has been tested, time to write my last words!
Also, believe it or not: there is actually also a pink color! It only appears in Object Set 91, and it is completely functional! Though Keys and Chests work as Silver ones when Pink is turned on.

That Pink tileset is used in the Warped Void, to color the parasol of a singe paragoomba (or whatever that yellow enemy is called

I had some bad luck with the editor. It didn't tell me that we can only have 64 lines of dialog. And so, I went on creating a long dialog, somewhere around 150 lines long. Each line is only 16 characters long, the first 4 lines are registered for the speeker's name, and every 4 lines you have to put a blank line.
So it became very long. But turns out, there's a 64 line limit. So I can't put the dialog in the game. I'm disapointed :(

Reactions: 607

Yeah, it's so cool, we learn much more about the game through this! :D

I had some bad luck with the editor. It didn't tell me that we can only have 64 lines of dialog. And so, I went on creating a long dialog, somewhere around 150 lines long. Each line is only 16 characters long, the first 4 lines are registered for the speeker's name, and every 4 lines you have to put a blank line.
So it became very long. But turns out, there's a 64 line limit. So I can't put the dialog in the game. I'm disapointed :(

Aw, that's too bad :(

Important Announcement!
It's done!
It's finally done!
The entire list has been gone through, the credits have been written, the advice has been written, and most of all, it has been uploaded on two different places!
I really recomment having this be an important file for all stage designers, as it is super useful!

My personal Mediafire Link:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/smqk0wcihyd2t/Wario_Land_3_Basic_Requirements_Folder

It's also in the Google Drive Folder, under: Important Files/356's Hack Files. (607, I hope you don't mind me having changed the layout a little, for it to be more streamlined, your confused rom is now under Confusing/ Question Roms)
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3kwSctRFQGEcXJDdzhfSnZ0RWc&usp=sharing_eid

Enjoy!

(Also, I guess considering I'm already here right now, I PROBABLY won't be available that much tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, due to the release of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS! If anyone wants to play with me, Friend Code: 0173-2434-0560, I highly suggest just mailing me at: haiko99@gmail.com with your Friend Code, but you can try replying here as well)

Reactions: 607
I messed around with the credits editor as well.
Here are my observations:

We can't make coleborative credits. Nintendo designed the credits to be just as long as they needed them to be. We can exceed the lenght slightly, but it will scroll with double speed. So it seems we can only replace developer names with our own

Pallete editing is certainly possible. There are 7 pallets we can make, each has 4 colors that we can change. But it seems Nintendo hardwired the pallete that a tile uses on every coordinate. So, the color is determined by where in the credits a tile (letter) is. In other words, if we dont change this, we will only be able to credit people like this:
  • Job #1: 1 person
  • Job #2: 4 people
  • Job #3: 5 people
  • Job #4-5: 1 person each
  • Job #6: 3 people
  • Job #7-9: 1 person each

We can't make coleborative credits. Nintendo designed the credits to be just as long as they needed them to be. We can exceed the lenght slightly, but it will scroll with double speed. So it seems we can only replace developer names with our own

Pallete editing is certainly possible. There are 7 pallets we can make, each has 4 colors that we can change. But it seems Nintendo hardwired the pallete that a tile uses on every coordinate. So, the color is determined by where in the credits a tile (letter) is. In other words, if we dont change this, we will only be able to credit people like this:

As for changing palettes with sprites, it's very easy, there are also 7 sets for these, and you can give 4 colors to each palette.
then you can chose a palette on the bottom right of each sprite in the sprite function editor.

Also, can anyone send me a finished Wario Land 3 Save File at the mail I mentioned earlier? That way I can add it to the Hack Folder. You can add it yourselves as well, of course...

Important Announcement!
It's done!
It's finally done!
The entire list has been gone through, the credits have been written, the advice has been written, and most of all, it has been uploaded on two different places!
I really recomment having this be an important file for all stage designers, as it is super useful!

My personal Mediafire Link:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/smqk0wcihyd2t/Wario_Land_3_Basic_Requirements_Folder

It's also in the Google Drive Folder, under: Important Files/356's Hack Files. (607, I hope you don't mind me having changed the layout a little, for it to be more streamlined, your confused rom is now under Confusing/ Question Roms)
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3kwSctRFQGEcXJDdzhfSnZ0RWc&usp=sharing_eid

Enjoy!

(Also, I guess considering I'm already here right now, I PROBABLY won't be available that much tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, due to the release of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS! If anyone wants to play with me, Friend Code: 0173-2434-0560, I highly suggest just mailing me at: haiko99@gmail.com with your Friend Code, but you can try replying here as well)

I can tell you did a lot of work, but I'm actually confused about what exactly you did and what these lists are. Can you show a screenshot if it in the editor?

I can tell you did a lot of work, but I'm actually confused about what exactly you did and what these lists are. Can you show a screenshot if it in the editor?
upload_2014-10-2_20-24-8.png

Hm, I thought I read somewhere that you could write a code to change the colour pallette used.. Not too sure though.

356, could you please try to get more things into one post instead of double-posting? There's also an edit button :)

But as I can see, we can actially edit these items sets, right?

Yes we can. HOWEVER, knowing this is great for testing purposes, as you simply can't mess up the looks of an enemy.

356, could you please try to get more things into one post instead of double-posting? There's also an edit button :)

Good enough?

ALSO: can I please say that I HATE not being called by my real name in these types of conversations, so please just call me Haiko.

EDIT 2: I'm done for today, see you all in a while!

Last edited:
Oh, now I get it :)
But as I can see, we can actially edit these items sets, right?
Yes, we can, but we shouldn't. Because, say, 607 changes the item set LUIGI because he wants a different combination of enemies in Out of the Woods. Then, say Haiko used the item set LUIGI in his Tidal Coast.
Now the enemies will be changed in the tidal coast too. So you should keep the item sets intact, or ask the other people if it's ok if you change it. The only exception in my opinion is when you have an item set with say the GFX for spearhead included, but not the actual items. Because there are item sets that do have GFX for certain things but just have empty spaces for the items, because they just don't use them. In that case you could change the (none) to the enemy the GFX was included for and nobody will have problems with it, because otherwise it isn't used anyway.
ALSO: can I please say that I HATE not being called by my real name in these types of conversations, so please just call me Haiko.
Thank you for telling that, because I detest the opposite :p I always prefer being called 607.

607, it seems that you only gave me acsess to your .gbc file you're confused about.
I still dont have acsess to the FOLDER thought :(

ShyGuyXXL, i'm not sure. A kind of looks like he has 6 fingers, but B... i dont know.
Your trying to do the hand Wario shows after opening a treasure chest, right?
Or maby the coin doesn't need the hand?

Also, I'm wondering how to credit in the game those who did research on the editor, like Haiko did. Perhaps Reasearch&Analysis? That was kind of intended for the game research, but...

Also, what does videogame R&D do, by the way? Is it the same as doing research and analysis?

607, it seems that you only gave me acsess to your .gbc file you're confused about.
I still dont have acsess to the FOLDER thought :(

ShyGuyXXL, i'm not sure. A kind of looks like he has 6 fingers, but B... i dont know.
Your trying to do the hand Wario shows after opening a treasure chest, right?
Or maby the coin doesn't need the hand?

Also, I'm wondering how to credit in the game those who did research on the editor, like Haiko did. Perhaps Reasearch&Analysis? That was kind of intended for the game research, but...

Also, what does videogame R&D do, by the way? Is it the same as doing research and analysis?
Coin A doesn't have 6 fingers, it's his ear ;)
Also, I'm sorry if I did something wrong with google drive, I'll check as soon as possible.

Edit: I think I've successfully added you now.

I just tryed to edit the text again. Came up with good, short dialog.
BUT THEN I FORGOT TO SAVE THE CHANGES! :(
Why does the editor allow you to close it without saving?!?! :(

And i managed to make it good. Now i have to recreate it from memory :(

I just tryed to edit the text again. Came up with good, short dialog.
BUT THEN I FORGOT TO SAVE THE CHANGES! :(
Why does the editor allow you to close it without saving?!?! :(

And i managed to make it good. Now i have to recreate it from memory :(
Aw :(
Lear from it though: Always save every few minutes when doing something like this. (except on warioforums.com, because it saves drafts automatically)

Aw :(
Lear from it though: Always save every few minutes when doing something like this. (except on warioforums.com, because it saves drafts automatically)

Thanks for the tip!

All right, I wrote some custom dialog.

Now, after messing around with the credits editor, I finally relize that it's the editor's fault.
In the Crdits Editor, the "Flip X" and "Flip Y" flags work sucsessfully. But the "Pallete" flag, which is suppose to change the pallets of the letters, does not actually work.

607, did you manage to registrer on the website and contact Drenn?

Back