Post interesting Wario Land trivia here

That doesn't surprise me. Nintendo's German localization/marketing division in the early-mid 90s was pretty lousy. Around the same time that games like SML3 were getting butchered, they also snuck some innuendos and other trite into Link's Awakening.
At first I read the URL as saying cuckman at the end and really that is just too fitting isn't it

actually these dialogue bits wouldn't look out of place as posts made by Metal.
Metal (totally) said:
Give me your juice, I'll give you mine...

NEVER WITHOUT A CONDOM

Do you have any sorrows, hardships or problems?

!STOP THE WAR!
GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!!

It's possible that the iconic instrument exclusively heard in "Huntering With Bomb" maybe isn't supposed to be a Surf Organ after all, but rather, a Shawm, a rather soft(!) sounding woodwind instrument that was the ancestor of the modern Oboe (in fact, the popularity of the Shawm was only killed off because of the Oboe-- their shared odd pleasantness is where I see the family resemblance, though the two of them scratch different itches).
This would make a lot of sense, as Wario Land's entire "orchestra" gives off the impression of being very nearly entirely composed of wind instruments. This is the audio that I listened to which gave me this thought, labelled "Capella de la Torre. "Tourdion", from Chamber Music (16th Century). (Coviello/2007)".

Attachments

• Capella de la Torre - Tourdion.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 558
It's possible that the iconic instrument exclusively heard in "Huntering With Bomb" maybe isn't supposed to be a Surf Organ after all, but rather, a Shawm, a rather soft(!) sounding woodwind instrument that was the ancestor of the modern Oboe (in fact, the popularity of the Shawm was only killed off because of the Oboe-- their shared odd pleasantness is where I see the family resemblance, though the two of them scratch different itches).
This would make a lot of sense, as Wario Land's entire "orchestra" gives off the impression of being very nearly entirely composed of wind instruments. This is the audio that I listened to which gave me this thought, labelled "Capella de la Torre. "Tourdion", from Chamber Music (16th Century). (Coviello/2007)".

Isn't that shawm in this music piece not just one of the reed stops of the organ, played on another manual?

Isn't that shawm in this music piece not just one of the reed stops of the organ, played on another manual?
Well, it's possible. I am an uncultured swine after all. That makes sense too, because that means it's supposed to sound like an organ that's supposed to sound like a shawm. And I meannn Pipe Organs are technically wind instruments at the end of the day, in the same way that Pianos are string instruments, so it still fits the supposed theme on a technicality.

...btw, I'd LOVE to have an organ that sounded that nasally. Either way it sounds dope

Edit: yeah, you're totally right, the sound heard in the recording has those higher frequencies that the shawm just doesn't have.

Last edited:
it is entirely possible that earlier on in Wario Land 4's development, Wario was meant to look more like his WL3 self

Zombie Wario's turning sprite is the main piece-- perhaps the only surviving piece remaining in full view-- to support this claim.
take a look at how the mustache and general head shape are rendered, note how the three cyan lines on the hat and W are rendered completely different from even the other Zombario sprites.
showing it in greyscale kind of allows your brain to fill the blanks in with Wario's regular tones.
He bears a lot more resemblance to his appearance on the map screen, which in itself was a 32-bit version of WL3's map sprite.

it would seem as if at one point Wario's proportions were less stocky and more human-like

Last edited:

Like any good sports car owner, Wario seems to also have a hard-top version of the Wariomobile (and possibly a red version, though that seems like the lighting tbh)

Oh yeah, didn't notice the car had a roof there.

And it definitely looks red to me too. Could be lighting, but it seems a bit too obviously red to be such, and the fact the picture was taken in the middle of the day suggests otherwise.

So yeah, three Wario cars I guess.

This makes me want to see someone do a 'history of football/soccer in the Marioverse' article or thread.

This could be interesting, but I don't know if it's true:

Was Captain Syrup one of Nintendo's first female antagonists?

Off the top of my head I can already list off Mother Brain as being earlier
I don't think Mother Brain counts, really. It's more of a genderless machine than a flat out female, albeit baring Mother in the name.
I can however list Medusa from Kid Icarus.

Hmm fair but yeah I don't think Captain Syrup is the outright first female antagonist though she may still be one of the earliest ones.

Back