Look what I learned to do today-

Okay, so the first three chords are-
G--14 D--12 A--13 E--x
G--10 D--10 A--11 E--x
G--10 D--x A--11 E--9

Then the alternate slide down part after repeat-
G--8 D--x A--9 E--7
G--7 D--8 A--x E--6

Had to write that out for someone : p Believe it or not, as simple as that looks, I never knew about this haha.

Look what I learned to do today-

Okay, so the first three chords are-
G--14 D--12 A--13 E--x
G--10 D--10 A--11 E--x
G--10 D--x A--11 E--9

Then the alternate slide down part after repeat-
G--8 D--x A--9 E--7
G--7 D--8 A--x E--6

Had to write that out for someone : p Believe it or not, as simple as that looks, I never knew about this haha.

How do you read or know which chord to strum from these repeating numbers and letters? It's honestly amazing I'd be really happy to try to get a guitar those are great.

Well the numbers and letters are just the notes, like the letters are the strings, E is the lowest string on the top of the neck and G is the highest string on the bottom of the neck, and the numbers are the frets, like 1st fret 2nd fret ect. If you ever look at a guitar and see near the end of the neck the slim fret with the two dots on top of each other, where the frets become thinner afterwards, thats the 12th fret, its a good marker to help you find your place on a guitar/bass guitar : p

So like, with that its just those three first chords I posted then after that you repeat them and play the alternate part. As for rhythm/timing, you cant read it with this : p It merely shows you how to play the chords, haha. I recorded it for him so he could get the feel for it himself.

IF you are interested in hearing it, this is what it sounds like here-

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0b3MyJR3ggS

Its an idea I have for a song but I cant come up with a good alternate melody to go along with it so I asked another bassist to help, and he showed me how to write that out so he could find the chords easier : p

And you should totally learn to play! I didnt start until I was a week away from turning 21, haha. So you arent too old to learn : p
Id recommend bass guitar, as I think its more versatile. You can both come up with melodies through chord work just like a guitar, and you can make your own rhymthic bass lines to accompany them with your bass : p And after learning chords on a bass theyll be way easier to learn on guitar : p It can be discouraging because the strings are larger and farther apart, and like even after years of playing it still makes my hand cramp after a while of playing but its way worth it : p

But if you want to play with the twinkely sound of a guitar, then you should totally go for that : p The strings are thinner and closer together, so where a bass has more meaning in one note, meaning you can just focus on one note at a time if youd like, a guitar generally puts more focus on playing each string together due to them all being together. It has its own difficulties to master like any other instrument : p

Sorry for the long response, its just a topic I have alot to say about : p

For a starter as you've said with a bass guitar it would be great to just go for that at least as of now. The twinkly sound I'm not too fond with it anyways so bass all the way. So each melody that you come up with is from whatever chord you're strumming and to put that into repeated melodies. How you played here is fantastic it makes me think of RHCP and actually that band is a big part of why I'd love to play a guitar. Aside from great guitar players like Chris Squire and Robert Fripp, Flea also made his sound more homely if that actually makes any sense.

Having them together doesn't seem so bad there are a few other instruments that don't have them as compact I guess like a trumpet but that has no involvement here. It seems fun, will getting a pick be important here though?

Haha yeah,when I write music, and Im sure this is probly true for just about any musician : p But I come up with stuff pretty much just by playing random notes and chords together : p I play just whatever random stuff my hands fall on, and like I play a chord and like it, then move my hand around looking for notes and find another that I think fits with it, then I just keep playing around with that : p And yeah Ill come up with a riff, and stick to it, then like come up with an alternating part or two and add whatever I can : p Its a really exciting experience.

I mean guitar is a difficult instrument, definitely. But alot of people view it as like the ultimate and most difficult instrument ever created. Its really not : p I mean I just play basic open and barre chords, but still it wasnt that hard for me to learn them : p But anyone can totally learn it if they worked hard on it.

And a pick? Well, I never used a pick. I started with my thumb alone, then moved onto working my fingers and getting used to playing with them too. Now I use all but my pinky to pluck with : p But I dont look down on pickers. There are definitely some advantages. Double picking is alot easier : p It also has a totally different tone, I like the way it sounds too : p Fingers give you a more soft and muted sound where a pick has more punch to it. Id suggest learning with your fingers first, though. Theres so much you can do with a bass guitar with your hand, plucking and slapping and all that, and tapping on the neck too. And I just use my finger nails to strum, haha : p And I think its easier to play arpeggio with your fingers especially on bass guitar The strings are pretty well spaced so doing that with a pick feels way awkward for me to do : p

But it all comes down to your own style, whatever makes you happy to play with : p Playing music is all about you and what you enjoy, its not about playing the way other people tell you : p

I was trying to win an Ebay auction that I've been watching for a week and this guy outbid me at the last second and he didn't even get a good deal so I'm pretty upset. It was Ace Attorney 2 and people have been selling it for like 15.99 and the final bid was like 22 dollars so this guy is either an idiot or a jerk.

I was trying to win an Ebay auction that I've been watching for a week and this guy outbid me at the last second and he didn't even get a good deal so I'm pretty upset. It was Ace Attorney 2 and people have been selling it for like 15.99 and the final bid was like 22 dollars so this guy is either an idiot or a jerk.
lol i wonder if people actually place bad last minute bets just to spite people. that was pretty bad.

I know placing a bid at the last minute is a common strategy but there was another guy selling that game in the same condition for 15.99 as a Buy it Now. There was literally no reason to place a bid of 22 unless you really wanted it from that specific seller even when you take shipping into account.

I know placing a bid at the last minute is a common strategy but there was another guy selling that game in the same condition for 15.99 as a Buy it Now. There was literally no reason to place a bid of 22 unless you really wanted it from that specific seller even when you take shipping into account.
wow. so did you take the buy it now option? i would have. :p

I'm trying my luck on another option that is ending soon just to see if I can save a bit. If I lose then I will get the Buy It Now if it's still available. If I miss out on both then aw shucks.

Reactions: 607
I haven't actually seen any auctions on eBay in a while. If I remember correctly, I used to see them more than Buy it Now. Now almost everything seems to be Buy it Now. Perhaps because there isn't as much interesting anymore.

I dont like the idea of an auction, Id rather just flat out buy what I want. Has no one else purchased it ahead of me? Great, then Ill give you the money in exchange for the product, with no worry of someone buying it out under me. I dont really see the appeal of buying through an auction : p

Haha yeah,when I write music, and Im sure this is probly true for just about any musician : p But I come up with stuff pretty much just by playing random notes and chords together : p I play just whatever random stuff my hands fall on, and like I play a chord and like it, then move my hand around looking for notes and find another that I think fits with it, then I just keep playing around with that : p And yeah Ill come up with a riff, and stick to it, then like come up with an alternating part or two and add whatever I can : p Its a really exciting experience.

I mean guitar is a difficult instrument, definitely. But alot of people view it as like the ultimate and most difficult instrument ever created. Its really not : p I mean I just play basic open and barre chords, but still it wasnt that hard for me to learn them : p But anyone can totally learn it if they worked hard on it.

And a pick? Well, I never used a pick. I started with my thumb alone, then moved onto working my fingers and getting used to playing with them too. Now I use all but my pinky to pluck with : p But I dont look down on pickers. There are definitely some advantages. Double picking is alot easier : p It also has a totally different tone, I like the way it sounds too : p Fingers give you a more soft and muted sound where a pick has more punch to it. Id suggest learning with your fingers first, though. Theres so much you can do with a bass guitar with your hand, plucking and slapping and all that, and tapping on the neck too. And I just use my finger nails to strum, haha : p And I think its easier to play arpeggio with your fingers especially on bass guitar The strings are pretty well spaced so doing that with a pick feels way awkward for me to do : p

But it all comes down to your own style, whatever makes you happy to play with : p Playing music is all about you and what you enjoy, its not about playing the way other people tell you : p

That sounds fantastic especially for some one as indecisive as myself. Probably at first it'd feel impossible to create music? Though from some of the vocaroos you've posted before in your guitar thread it seems easy to just go ahead and play each chord to create something that sounds soothing. The most fun playing or well my experience with a " guitar " would be an old worn down one I use to have, each string felt rugged not sure if you've also had that experience before when you have tried to play or strum before.

When it comes to picks or fingers it'd still be the same thing trying to learn with or without one. In terms of sounds I do love the soft tones considering they most remind me of video game music such as Banjo-Kazooie it has a really nice smooth tone to it. More than likely finding an exact pick would be a bit tough for me since I have no way of actually doing so. With fingers alone I'll get used to it as you've said here so that's quite amazing anyways. When it comes to people I admire I guess I shouldn't go out of hand to try to play like them yeah but just play from joy which I do hope someday I can.

That sounds fantastic especially for some one as indecisive as myself. Probably at first it'd feel impossible to create music? Though from some of the vocaroos you've posted before in your guitar thread it seems easy to just go ahead and play each chord to create something that sounds soothing. The most fun playing or well my experience with a " guitar " would be an old worn down one I use to have, each string felt rugged not sure if you've also had that experience before when you have tried to play or strum before.

When it comes to picks or fingers it'd still be the same thing trying to learn with or without one. In terms of sounds I do love the soft tones considering they most remind me of video game music such as Banjo-Kazooie it has a really nice smooth tone to it. More than likely finding an exact pick would be a bit tough for me since I have no way of actually doing so. With fingers alone I'll get used to it as you've said here so that's quite amazing anyways. When it comes to people I admire I guess I shouldn't go out of hand to try to play like them yeah but just play from joy which I do hope someday I can.

You probly wont be writing alot of music right off the bat, no : p It takes time to build up the muscles in your hands to play the instrument, even if you know where the chords are. But the more you play, the more youll be able to do. And yeah once youre able to play it becomes alot easier, haha.

And the strings to that guitar may have been old and rusted out. The strings do wear with age and use, and both start to feel bad on your hands and sound terrible : p You should change your strings every couple of months, though I generally change mine like once a year cuz lazy : p

And they have different sized picks, Ive met players who preferred thick picks and thin picks, it all depends on the person. And I never tried to play like anyone when I started playing actually. Like I learned stuff from people I knew irl who played, of course. In fact the first person to teach me chord work on bass guitar was a metal bass guitarist, that was a neat experience : p But I always just wanted to create pretty music, and after getting into bass I totally fell in love with the instrument and decided I was gonna do that with bass guitar, haha. Even with Zach Smith, I have learned alot from him and all that, but I was already writing melodies on my bass guitar when I found out about him, he was just exciting cuz he was doing the very thing I wanted on my bass guitar : p

Id try to do what sounds good and is enjoyable for you, if that means playing your favorite songs go for it, if it means making something that you want to make, then go for that : p

Replacing them a few months to a year? Thought the strings couldn't be replaced but that's definitely helpful. The old acoustic guitar hasn't been tuned or anything in years but it's pretty much busted and it is better to go find a new one. A bass guitar though this time since they have a cool low and smoother sound to them. There's even thick and thin picks, I've been searching a few of them online and the thick ones seem good to just start out with just going by some of the YT videos I've spot like this one.

Learning from people including some of your fav musicians has taught you a lot. Kind of doing the same with listening and looking at How Robert Fripp strums his guitar since he also has a music school too and sometimes uploads vids on YT which do help. Man yes being able to play some amazing songs like islands or something would be great but I don't think starting with heavy prog songs would be right too maybe something by Beck or Steve Hackett at first.

The last auction I won was for a rare, obscure movie soundtrack. There were only two copies available - the buy it now copy was priced at $99, and the auction copy started at $11. I put in a tiny bid, and won it as the only bidder. So I payed less than $20 instead of 99 big ones. Talk about a literal steal!

Now that Magma brings that up, I actually really enjoyed the auction in Wind Waker. Like I for real hunted for rupees and bought things at the auction I didnt need just to beat the towns people : p

I have no idea why but I really enjoyed that at the time, haha.

Back