Unpopular Video Game Opinions

People need to shut the fuck up about how revolutionary Mario 64 is.
Look seeing what some games did for the industry is VERY important, that being said i could give two shits how a game played 20 years ago, is it still good now.
Bottom line, Mario 64 on N64? Try for historical value but otherwise it can fuck off, play the sequels instead.

I also feel that way about Mario 64, only play it for its historical value
The controls suck unless you are using the ass-tastic N64 controller
the camera is god awful
difficulty balancing is iffy
100 coin stars are terrible but if you want that worthless completion bonus.
And did mention the controls? it wishes it had SM Sunshine controls.

People need to shut the fuck up about how revolutionary Mario 1 is.
Look seeing what some games did for the industry is VERY important, that being said i could give two shits how a game played 30 years ago, is it still good now.
Bottom line, Mario 1 on NES? Try for historical value but otherwise it can fuck off, play the sequels instead.

I'm sure that if the video game crash never happened, SMB 1 wouldn't have been that successful. The other 2 parts on the NES are way better.

• Disagree
Reactions: 607
People need to shut the fuck up about how revolutionary Mario 1 is.
Look seeing what some games did for the industry is VERY important, that being said i could give two shits how a game played 30 years ago, is it still good now.
Bottom line, Mario 1 on NES? Try for historical value but otherwise it can fuck off, play the sequels instead.
Huh, hadn't expected to see that.
How about Super Mario Bros. 2 (J)?

Huh, hadn't expected to see that.
How about Super Mario Bros. 2 (J)?
Lost levels?
Its difficulty is fine for the first few worlds and in the beginning its a bit more fun than SMB1's beginning but still has the same problems, also the poison 1-up is overblown, its more obviously bad in all stars but come on. You figure out its bad right away and the colour is unpleasant.
I do hate this games trolling nature but its not the abomination that people call it. underated but definitely the weakest of the classic games.

Lost levels?
Its difficulty is fine for the first few worlds and in the beginning its a bit more fun than SMB1's beginning but still has the same problems, also the poison 1-up is overblown, its more obviously bad in all stars but come on. You figure out its bad right away and the colour is unpleasant.
I do hate this games trolling nature but its not the abomination that people call it. underated but definitely the weakest of the classic games.
Hm, I'll probably always prefer The Lost Levels above Super Mario World. d:p
I guess that's an unpopular video game opinion as well.

I'm sure that if the video game crash never happened, SMB 1 wouldn't have been that successful. The other 2 parts on the NES are way better.

The video game crash of the 1980's is very overblown and didn't effect the entire world, just America for the most part.
Japan and Europe had their own thriving game cultures during that time (especially the UK with the home computer industry, like the ZX Spectrum).

The video game crash of the 1980's is very overblown and didn't effect the entire world, just America for the most part.
Japan and Europe had their own thriving game cultures during that time (especially the UK with the home computer industry, like the ZX Spectrum).
I'm no video game historian and anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm totally off the mark but isn't the crash what allowed the Japanese video game industry to really expand beyond its home market?

Yeah I know the home computer business in Europe and UK in particular as Angler already brought up was quite robust.

I feel inclined to disagree, but mostly because Bowser's been given a lot more time to shine. When we have the opportunity to actually see K. Rool's personality in the games, it tends to be pretty enjoyable, highlighted in DK 64 where his dialogue has him depicted as extremely competent and menacing, and then in the fight where he humorously feels like fighting you in a boxing match. But I just feel like he's just horribly underused, despite how fun of a character he is; the last time he's been in a DK game was about 10 years ago now. And Bowser has a long history of entertaining dialogue, especially in RPGs not called Sticker Star, so I feel like he's had a lot of opportunity to show his very enjoyable personality. Like, don't get me wrong, K. Rool is a great villain who I desperately want back, but I feel he doesn't have as much to enjoy him by as Bowser.

Unless you mean who would win in a fight. That's harder to judge, and in which case I apologize for the wall of text about what you weren't talking about.

• Agree
King K. Rool > Bowser.

Unlike Bowser, K. Rool constantly stays fresh and reinvents himself and his minions, while staying consistent. He's also definitely more ruthless, as a ruler and enemy. Whether it's torturing DK in the Flying Krock, or executing a minion for failing too many times in DK64. He definitely runs a tighter ship, and his army is far more varied and interesting than Goombas and Koopas.

Diddy%27s+Kong+Quest+%28V1.1%29+%28U%29_00001.png
king_k__rool__official_villain_of_main_dk64_by_dkg_by_zacmariozero-d8ylnwr.png

A fair enough point. Bowser does occasionally do things a little differently, but his plot usually boils down to the same thing in pretty much every game. It's easy to see his schtick as stale, despite how well he's written as a character. This, compared to K. Rool, who until King of Swing (if I recall correctly) never had the same MO twice, is a pretty stark contrast.

• Agree
Unlike Bowser, K. Rool constantly stays fresh and reinvents himself and his minions, while staying consistent. He's also definitely more ruthless, as a ruler and enemy. Whether it's torturing DK in the Flying Krock, or executing a minion for failing too many times in DK64. He definitely runs a tighter ship, and his army is far more varied and interesting than Goombas and Koopas.

Diddy%27s+Kong+Quest+%28V1.1%29+%28U%29_00001.png
king_k__rool__official_villain_of_main_dk64_by_dkg_by_zacmariozero-d8ylnwr.png

Pirate K. Rool > Metrosexual doctor K. Rool > regular king man K. Rool

Back