I don't mind it but it does bring to mind something someone said before, I think it was Angler. He said that Wario looked the most out of place among the Ware cast and I think now I really see it. His design for the longest time was more or less the same as his Land design but with a different outfit. Even for Game & Wario where everyone else was touched up his design didn't really change. Now his design has been significantly changed to, I guess, bring him more in line with the rest of the cast and I guess it looks strange.

I honestly never saw Wario as looking out of place.

Then again, I never really see many of the 'style clashes' a lot of artistically minded folks seem to see in fiction. For me it has to be as obviously as in Sonic 06 or Yoshi's Island DS for me to notice it.

I'm kind of thinking of the way Wario's head and face are designed. The only other character I'd say who's head and face are as detailed and distinctly shaped would be Dribble as the cast is usually a lot more simply drawn with clean shapes.

The reason I don't like it (besides the odd proportions) is that this artwork just seems rushed or half-assed.
Like, look at the way Wario's teeth are drawn. Ko (I'm assuming he drew it) just used a bunch of black lines, which is much easier to draw than the more subtle indentations Wario usually has in his teeth.
Wario Comparison3.png

Same with the lines themselves. A lot of them are just left with their default ends.
Left: Game&Wario
Right: WW Gold
Wario Comparison4.png

Which is much easier, but doesn't look great. But it's also inconsistent. Some lines are pointy, some aren't. So it just looks like they were either rushing it or being lazy.
I've made Vector graphics like these myself and it's not THAT much harder to make the lines pointy...
As an artist, it's much harder to forgive these things when you think "I could've done that better myself!" :wah:

Hmm, okay.

Maybe like with your great Mario & Luigi style sprites you should try and rework the WarioWare Gold artwork to look better too.

The reason I don't like it (besides the odd proportions) is that this artwork just seems rushed or half-assed.
Like, look at the way Wario's teeth are drawn. Ko (I'm assuming he drew it) just used a bunch of black lines, which is much easier to draw than the more subtle indentations Wario usually has in his teeth.
View attachment 6501
Same with the lines themselves. A lot of them are just left with their default ends.
Left: Game&Wario
Right: WW Gold
View attachment 6502
Which is much easier, but doesn't look great. But it's also inconsistent. Some lines are pointy, some aren't. So it just looks like they were either rushing it or being lazy.
I've made Vector graphics like these myself and it's not THAT much harder to make the lines pointy...
As an artist, it's much harder to forgive these things when you think "I could've done that better myself!" :wah:
Ko Takeuchi just had enough of drawing teeth.
BVhW0W1.png
->
vZWCvZn.png

Hmm, okay.

Maybe like with your great Mario & Luigi style sprites you should try and rework the WarioWare Gold artwork to look better too.
The G&W version is already basically perfect though. I would just be making that again so what's the point?

On a different note, I hope they release some new information every now and then and don't just leave us high and dry up until near the actual release date. I don't know how much longer we can talk about just the designs of Wario, Kat, Ana, 9-Volt, and Ashley.

On a different note, I hope they release some new information every now and then and don't just leave us high and dry up until near the actual release date. I don't know how much longer we can talk about just the designs of Wario, Kat, Ana, 9-Volt, and Ashley.

Yup. That said, given how Game & Wario got all those regular updates, I think the chances of this game getting them is pretty good as well.

You know what would be cool? Since it's a game about old microgames as well as new, how about introducing a new character into the mix? Last time we got new ones were Penny and Young Cricket.
And I'm not against the idea that not every single character needs to have a stage in every game. If we have a couple of characters in each game that only have cameos or minor roles (like Orbulon and Dribble & Spitz in Touched or Mike in Smooth Moves) then that's fine with me.

...though now that I'm thinking about it, that would mean the new character(s) would be introduced with the "new" art style...
122_Eh.png

I want this microgame to be in. How meta would that be?
A gameboy advance microgame that was switched to be controlled by the wiimote, and then switched back to be controlled by tilt controls. :S8V:
9v-wariowaretwisted.jpg

I'm super late to the party but here are my thoughts:
- I said "If they announce a new WW game (on switch) I'll buy a switch*!" the night before Direct, only to see it was the first thing they announced right off the bat at the 3DS section... I was confused, a bit upset (cus it's not on switch) but also happy to know the franchise isn't 100% dead yet
- so, no amiibos? :(
- The amazon pre-order page seems to confirmed it's getting a physical release, which I really hope that's the case... Given the nature of this game and what happened to Rhythm Heaven (no physical release in the U.S.)
- character design wise: I didn't notice how odd everyone (other than Ashley) look until I saw the full character arts... Not sure how I feel about how Kat& Ana and 9-Volt look. It seems to be a mix of Ko's styles from different time? (thick outline + his current way of drawing eyes) also why is Ashley not wearing legging this time(the last set of badges seem to "spoil" the new style if you look back to it? she is wearing the exact outfit as the new game)
- other than keeping the characters' ages "consistent" (other than Wario himself everyone else in the trailer are kids), why these characters in particular in trailer? (except Wario or Ashley, duh) Wouldn't Mona also be a good choice to be in the trailer? (other than her cut scene isn't done yet, which could be possible)
- I want to see what they're going to do with Pyoro this time. Also Orbulon deserves more attention because he had his own stage in the first game, after all.

*I bought a switch anyway. Gotta keep my promise since I didn't specify which platform even thought I was thinking WW for switch

Back