Girl......?
View attachment 7395
What kind of name is that? Hell, it's not even a "name", it's just a title.
It's one thing if she's just this minor one shot character or whatever, but she's on the front cover of the NA/EU boxart and has full body artwork, she's clearly being touted as a new major character of some sort.

I seriously hope that's just a placeholder/temporary name or whatever until we know exactly who she is and what her whole deal is.
And not her actual name.
That's one of the cutest pictures of Penny I have ever seen, and I would enjoy seeing more of them. I'm guessing that is a placeholder name to make people curious.

That's one of the cutest pictures of Penny I have ever seen, and I would enjoy seeing more of them. I'm guessing that is a placeholder name to make people curious.
It comes from hsnkz809, great Japanese Wario fanartist and probably one of my favorites.

Definitely would recommand checking him/her out as he/she has some fucking great Wario fanart.

Last edited:
Yup.
oUr22oI.png

I do wonder if she'll have a real name as well. Perhaps this is just to make people curious.

I predict that is her actual name, see this:

Very interesting, I doubt they're the same character by any means, but the resemblance between the two is definitely uncanny
now that I'm looking at it.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums my friend.

Last edited:

Here's the back cover for the game with tons and tons of microgames shown:

Pre-order stand:

GzJCosT.png

An interesting theory but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves...

It would be a pretty intruiging reference due to...the peculiar relationship between Wario and Wrecking Crew. However, I feel it is more likely that WarioWare Gold and Wrecking Crew 98 at best both referenced the same thing separately, especially since "girl" simply isn't a name. The bigger clue though, for the Wrecking Crew ghost girl at least,is that the visual similarities are not that impressive when you consider that it appears very likely that she is based off a famous Japanese urban legend known as Hanako-san and she has a pretty standardized appearance...
RlyEm8K.png
UpQVLBN.png
k5JqdkW.jpg
z6iXH74.jpg

2lnxUMv.png
e6GqIwO.jpg
KfN1If9.jpg

An interesting theory but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves...

It would be a pretty intruiging reference due to...the peculiar relationship between Wario and Wrecking Crew. However, I feel it is more likely that WarioWare Gold and Wrecking Crew 98 at best both referenced the same thing separately, especially since "girl" simply isn't a name. The bigger clue though, for the Wrecking Crew ghost girl at least,is that the visual similarities are not that impressive when you consider that it appears very likely that she is based off a famous Japanese urban legend known as Hanako-san and she has a pretty standardized appearance...

To me this is even more proof that they are the same character, seeing how she is the only example of this type of character in Mario series history, why wouldn't they re-use her for another game? And no, "Girl" - "おんなのこ" is actually her name in Wrecking Crew '98 and she is a playable character. Having the name be the exact same is too much of a coincidence.

3f984bde91af8b3e8e621b735c02e8492c852c5cb9304a959628ddc760c69981.png

I predict that this scene is Ashley coming across the girl in her haunted mansion.

seeing how she is the only example of this type of character in Mario series history, why wouldn't they re-use her for another game?
Because normally, all the Mario games are developed by different development teams and there has long been shown to be a reluctance for development team to use characters developed by other teams, hence characters like Waluigi and Daisy being relegated to spinoffs. However, here lies an interesting tidibt. It seems Wrecking Crew 98 shares the same development team that would later be responsible for the WarioWare series, so there's an actual connection. So, I do concede that it isn't impossible for them to actual be the same character or a reference to said character. However, I do think you're giving the name argument a little too much weight.

And no, "Girl" - "おんなのこ" is actually her name in Wrecking Crew '98 and she is a playable character. Having the name be the exact same is too much of a coincidence.
I still don't see how it's "too much of a coincidence" when that is literally the word for a young girl in Japanese. There isn't anything unique about that term.The only other words they could probably used to describe a nameless girl are either shojo or musume which have different connotations. I think @Glowsquid might be on to something with this unusual moniker. Perhaps she's some kind of mysterious spirit that for some reason, the developers have opted to not let us know what her actual name is initially and instead she's just described as a girl. Maybe we learn her name down the line in the game.

Last edited:

Interesting, she does look similar. (but the other two posts also give good arguments I thought of but didn't bother typing out - fortunately, because it turned out they had already been posted on the next page.)

Wario.png

From what I assume is Nintendo Dream (According to the original source), some full body artwork for quite a few characters.
Now we have a full look at what the Crygor family looks like. (Not really digging Dr Crygor's design BTW.)
As well as some other characters to boot.

Source

Last edited:
What in blue blazes is going on with this game's visuals? I mean, if you're determined to define everything on the character with clunky black lines, at least use thinner ones for anything lying within the outer-line. Art direction in the WarioWare series has always followed that formula in the past, and that's just what made its art so respectable; simple and geometric character designs with bold, dynamic linework. Even the sprites of the original two GBA titles are more sophisticated than this amateurish DeviantArt-grade stuff... Plus, the proportions and volumes look horribly stilted (and don't tell me that was just an artistic decision -- the draughtsmanship is objectively bad). Frankly, the whole shebang is remarkably unappealing for a first-party Nintendo game.

Come to think of it, do we even know if this game is from an internal dev. team? I think it's possible that Nintendo passed it off to a third party studio while they focused their efforts on the Switch. If this does come from a respectable team at Nintendo, I, uh... I've lost some respect for them, to say the least.

What's really bothering me more than certain redesigns, is the lack of unity in the overall artstyle. I can see sort of two different distinct artstyles in the roster. Characters like Mona, 5-Volt, Kat and Ana all look like Rhythm Heaven characters with the way their faces are drawn and the soft round lines. Characters like Dribble and 18-Volt just look like they were drawn by a completely different person with how blocky they look and the sharp angular lines. Wario is a decent middle ground for the two styles but it's really just him it seems. The original artstyle and the G&W artstyles all look unified while this looks like a hodge podge of different designs that Ko Takeuchi created without thinking of a unified theme.

Back